2020-2021 Academic Center Cut-off

Viewing 54 reply threads
  • Author
      lincolnparkmom

Now as we are within 24 hours of the results to be declared, lets share it so that it can be of some help for kids/parents in coming years. Good luck everyone. See you tomorrow.

Score, School if matched, Tier

• #10769 Reply
      NtaRGCMom11

Tier3

Total Points 676.6  RGC 120

Offered: Taft Academic Center

Does anyone have any info on Taft AC Program? Still shooting for WY in 9th grade.

• #10773 Reply
      Anon

Tier 3

Total Score: 864

Test Score 138 (had 600 points before the entrance exam)

only applied to WY – rejected

I’m very curious to see the cut offs because his score would have gotten him in any other year.  I’m very disappointed this morning.

• #10776 Reply
      Sr

Tier 3

academic center test score 132

total score 818

no offers

• #10777 Reply
      Tier4Blows

Tier 4

Total Score: 868.42
      Map 295.42
      Grades 300
      Test (141) 273

Had heart set on Whitney to join sibling. Nope. Good enough for Lane last year. Not this year. Offered Kenwood, will decline.

Knew it would be competitive but the disparity between Tier 3 and 4 at Whitney is ridiculous. It was a 16-point swing last year. Would have gotten an offer for sure if we lived in Tier 3, only a mile away.

After the high school process and AC process in the same year, SO OVER CPS TIER SYSTEM.

• #10778 Reply
      Sr

Forgot to say applied to Lane, WY and Taft

last years cutoff scores would have gotten us a taft offer

• #10779 Reply
      Sr

Can you possibly clarify your score? Was your test for RGC or AC

Total points with the exam is 676 in a Tier 3?

• #10781 Reply
      Tina

Total score 874.4 . Applied to Lane – denied.

This is ridiculous. I regret even putting my kid through this.

• #10783 Reply
      kt

has anyone seen this years’ cutoff scores?  The one on CPS’ website is still for last year.

• #10784 Reply
      OK

We didn’t get into our AC choices either WY nor Lane with Score of 850.

I have a very disappointed child at home, trying to console.
      Wondering if there is a second round for ACs?

• #10786 Reply
      kt

Nevermind.  They seem to now be updated.

• #10790 Reply
        Sr

Scores went up significantly from last year.

• #10787 Reply
      LSmom

In at Lane — 880.5 overall score, RGC score of 144, Tier 3, first choice. Most likely will decline. I think they overaccept and haven’t had multiple rounds in past years at Lane and Whitney, but this year could be different.

• #10791 Reply
      Tier4Blows

OMG. The cut scores.

Lane Tier 4 min went from 865.4 last year to 877.5 this year. That’s a 12-point jump. Let that sink in for a minute.

In two years when these kids all compete for high school spots, the scores will be off the charts. Good luck to all. We’ll be starting test prep tomorrow. (I’m kidding. Kind of.)

• #10795 Reply
      Tier4

Tier 4

Test 141

Overall 868.4

Got offer to TAFT AC, will   decline

• #10796 Reply
      STEM mom

Can’t see the cutoff scores still. Could someone post a link?

• #10797 Reply
      Sr

GoCPS_Cutoff_AcademicCenters_2019.pdf

• #10798 Reply

The Academic Center Cutoff Scores for 2020-2021 are here: https://cps.edu/SiteCollectionDocuments/gocps/GoCPS_Cutoff_AcademicCenters_2019.pdf

• #10802 Reply
      STEM mom

@Sr

Thanks!

• #10819 Reply
      jazzman

why are you declining a offer at Lane with that score?

• #10866 Reply
      Momofboys

If you decline A/C offer Morgan Park do you go back into the pool. Score 602

• #10908 Reply

Interesting to note that if there are 120 students selected for 7th grade at Whitney Young Academic Center, and 30% got in due to rank (top scorers irregardless of CPS Tier), then apparently 36 students scored 900 on the AC rubric and were admitted to WYAC.

https://cps.edu/SiteCollectionDocuments/gocps/GoCPS_Cutoff_AcademicCenters_2019.pdf

• #11291 Reply
        twomonkeymama
        Participant

Could you please help me understand “rank” noted at the bottom of the linked page?  “Note: The ‘Rank’ score denotes students selected by their point score only, outside of their tiers”

TIA!  I find it a wee bit confusing.

• #10928 Reply
      Jazzman

@momofboys

score 602 tier 1? If so thats going to be tough it’s tight at kenwood, brooks , and Lindblom with that score. Is Morgan Park a bad commute for you? If not consider MP for at least 1 to 2 yrs then transfer out to better high school. Would MP offer a more rigorous education than the current school they attend? I would consider reaching out to some parents who have children in the AC at MP better you decline.

• #10951 Reply
      kt

It’s crazier than that.  At least one other Tier 2 and Tier 3 kid also got a 900.

And for Lane, the numbers are similar.  If the mean for the Rank group is 899, that means that almost all of the kids who got in through Rank there also scored 900. And since the Lane class is bigger, that means that for both schools, the top scoring 36-40 kids scored a 900.

• #10957 Reply
      Tiger Dad

The RGC test is an off the shelf IQ test – I figured out which one.  The test prep services also figured it out and I bet a lot of otherwise bright kids took the courses.  A perfect score corresponded roughly to a 150 IQ.  Like every human trait IQ exists in a Normal distribution.  One person in 2330 has a 150 IQ.
      You would need a student population of 167,000 to expect 72 150 IQ kids.  Each grade in CPS has 26,000 kids.

So the test is not on the level.  My first guess is it pure test prep, which works very well on IQ tests.  The other guess is the test leaked.

If you have younger siblings you are deeply foolish not to take the prep courses.  These are the rules now.

But my kid got into Lane with minimal test prep so I won’t be agitating.

• #11293 Reply
        twomonkeymama
        Participant

Wow interesting.  Which one do you think it most closely matches?

Separately, I have heard so many positive things about Lane.  Congrats to your student.  How big is the class?

• #10959 Reply
      mom

My son got in WY with score of 881.9 in tier 4. Thinking to decline because too far from home. If he declines, is there any chance to get in Lane Tech (rank 2)? Or is the distance worth the school teachings in WY?

• #10960 Reply
      WestLoop

I’m confused about the AC acceptance system. Does it work like other ES programs? If we decline an offer for AC, could we receive another offer? How do you know the chances of getting another offer?

• #10962 Reply
        ES

AC system is more like high school selective enrollment system than elementary. Hard to get into the top one in round 2.

• #10963 Reply
          WestLoop

Thanks

• #10961 Reply
      ES

Tiger Dad, would you mind sharing which test?

• #10973 Reply
      Mom22

My kid got an offer at WY with an 879 in tier 4 which means she barely made it based on the range. I was worried at first thinking she may struggle  some compared to the other kids coming with higher scores but then I realized many of those scoring higher took test prep, and she didn’t, so I think she’ll be fine.

• #10974 Reply
      ES

Congrats!

She should be fine. Don’t forget there are a lot of kids coming with scores lower than hers from tiers 1,2,3.

• #10975 Reply
      Momofboys

It would be in the neighborhood. But worried about M.P.H.S it’s not the safest or diverse school. It would be very rigerous compared to his school. Does anyone know anything about program? And thinking about what next fall will look like in public school.

• #10977 Reply
      Momofboys

Jazzman

And we are in teir 4

• #10980 Reply
      Jazzman

@momofboys

score of 602 at tier 4 ? You will not have a chance at any other AC besides MP check out the scores.

• #10990 Reply
      momof3boys

O.k does anyone know anything about Morgan Park Acdemic Center? Any info. apreciated!

• #11077 Reply
      Second_choice

Hello,

My child got accepted to LaneTech AC(our second choice) and I didn’t do any research about it. Could any Lane family give some insight? How many students are admitted to AC, are they separated from HS students, how hard it is to navigate the building/-s, how hard it may be for quirky, shy ADD student to blend in, etc. Any information will be beneficial. Thanks!

• #11141 Reply
        Chi mom 18

Second_choice, I have a child at LTAC who sounds somewhat similar to your child, and I thought you should know this is a really challenging program for a child with adhd. While the teachers are caring and adhere to accommodations, they are all strict about due dates and generally do not let the kids make up work (eg, if your student didn’t do the backside of a worksheet, or forgot to turn something in, too bad!) If your child does not have exceedingly good time management skills or if their adhd impacts their ability to complete assignments, then you will be spending A LOT of time helping them manage their time and making sure they complete homework. There is about 2-4 hrs of homework per day and as you probably know a kid with adhd requires a tutor or other adult to watch over, or it will turn into 6 hrs of homework. That said, if your child wants to attend Lane Tech for HS and they’re ready for a change from elementary, they will learn so much and they will be academically engaged and challenged every day (these are honors high school classes they’re taking!) In terms of social, from what I’ve seen the kids seem to be sweet and of course all really bright kids. In school the LTAC classes are mostly self contained up on the smaller third floor (except for lunch/elective) so that makes it easier to transition from class to class.

• #11078 Reply
      Kisha

Hi Second_Choice Mom,

My kid was accepted into LTAC two years ago. I was torn just like you. we were in a small private school and my child was very comfortable. The entire summer my child was nervous about attending a new school, making new friends, etc. From day one, my child absolutely loved it. Like your child, my child is extremely shy and quirky. I was so nervous my child would have a hard time adjusting. From day one, my child felt like a member of the Lane Family. All the students were welcoming and everyone did their best to make sure the LTAC kids felt comfortable. Each child is assigned a mentor who was once in LTAC to help with finding classes and general questions.

LTAC core classes are all on a separate floor from the hs kids. The only class your child may have with a high schooler would be an elective. Even then, my child felt comfortable.

As far as how many kids are admitted, there are 120 available seats. The final number depends on how many people accept the offer. It could be more than 120 or slightly less. Your child should have no trouble fitting in. All the kids are alike. Some may be more outgoing and talkative, but they all are quirky. Lane does a great job of embracing and appreciating diversity.

I would strongly recommend LTAC to anyone considering it.

• #11086 Reply
      PJ

My daughter is a 7th grader at LTAC and absolutely loves it.  She came from a catholic school that she had attended since she was three, so I was nervous about the transition.  She has thrived there. She has loved the challenge, and has made friends there easily.  It is a welcoming community, and the school does a great job with the social-emotional aspect .

• #11106 Reply
      Second_choice

@ Kisha and PJ, thank you!

• #11136 Reply
      JB

My daughter got 900 and is accepted to WY. We are still not sure if going or not.

• #11144 Reply
      jazzman

@JB

Congratsand outstanding, but why arent you sure you will accept WY if its not too personal to discuss?

• #11148 Reply
      JB

@jazzman

Thanks! In my daughter’s classical school, every year, some kids chose to stay (not going to WY). A good percentage of 8th graders went to Payton, Northside etc.

It’s mostly logistics for us. My daughter and son are currently in the same school. If she goes to WY, we’ll need two different starting/pickup times. We like the mature curriculum of WY. My daughter likes the prospect of being considered a high schooler and making new friends. She wants to go. Probably will wait until the last day to decide.

• #11150 Reply
      Jazzman

@JB

I understand especially about the logistics of pick up and drop off especially at two different locations and Chicago has a little traffic lol . Adulting and parenting is so easy!!! Ha

• #11152 Reply
      LoganParent

Tier 3

Total Score: 900

Test Score: 150

only applied to WY – offered, accepted

• #11169 Reply
      ChiTownMom

Tier 4

Score: 900

Accepted at 1st choice Lane Tech AC

• #11196 Reply
      Momof3

My daughter scored 861 in Tier 4.

Offered Taft AC, which was her first choice mainly due to proximity

• #11197 Reply
      ES

Does anyone know of examples where a kid accepted an AC first and then was able to get into one of the top 2 SEHS?

That is, if the plan is to get into Payton or Northside, is it better to stay at SN or Decature through 8th grade or accept WY or LT AC for two years with the intention to go to a different SEHS.

Seems like safer as they will be guaranteed WY or LT for high school, but a big change in 7th grade may impact testing and grades for high school.

Do kids even do this kind of “school hopping”?

• #11198 Reply
        LakeviewMom

There is a post on CPSObsessed from 2012 which suggests that some of that is happening. You can browse through the spreadsheets at the bottom to get an idea (albeit outdated…): https://bit.ly/2LQKlBC

• #11199 Reply
      Ky

We have a friend that was attending WYAC and will be switching to Payton next year. Supposedly several of his friends are doing the same. So, yes, it does happen.

• #11201 Reply
      ES

@LakeviewMom and Ky, thank you for your responses!

• #11290 Reply
      twomonkeymama
      Participant

Daughter scored 894 in Tier 3.  Accepted WY which was her first choice.

Think I need more caffeine before re-read this thread can can comprehend.  I’m having a hard time imagining her in a “high school” setting when she’s still so young.  Anyone have experience with WYAC?

The necessary COVID-19 precautions have made it more difficult to get comfortable with all of this as we won’t have a chance to meet other families before orientation.

• #11598 Reply
      Momof3boys

Any one know the latest exceptance Scores at Brooks? I know it’s late in game were tier 4!

Help!!!

• #11602 Reply
      jazzman

cant access those scores not sure why ?

• #11603 Reply
      jazzman

closest I found was testprepchicago.com

• #12047 Reply
      Rahul

What was the cut off in first round for last year – 2020-21 for WY.

• #12048 Reply
      Rahul

What’s the cut off for 2021-22 for WY  ?

• #12058 Reply
      Danielle
    • #12203 Reply
      Momchi3

What are your pros & cons of accepting vs declining for AC? I’m on the fence. Is the selective enrollment process for high schools changing significantly?

• #12283 Reply
        2t1albany

We’re accepting the spot we were offered (Lane, Tier 2, score of 845).
        For a couple of reasons.
        – She needs a new environment – the schools she’s been at since K is no longer a good fit, so she’d be changing schools this year anyway.  She’d have 7th in a new environment, and there’s no telling how she’d do with grades and testing.
        – They’re also changing the system so that it’s the SE test and grades, and dropping state testing.  Everyone will take the SE test.  It doesn’t seem like CPS has really thought this one out, frankly. It may work great.  It may be terrible.
        – This is a great year to change schools (and a lot of people apparently agree with me, based on the number of applications for SE and Choice schools this year).  At least the first quarter is going to be spent making sure everyone is on the same page, academically, which is going to make the transition much easier.
        – I think she’ll like an environment with kids who are on the same scholastic level, and she’ll definitely like the bells and whistles that come with a SE high school.
        – Her older sister starts at Lane next year, and despite the fact that there’s a couple of thousand other kids, my rising 7th grader is going to feel SO much better about changing schools if her sister is in the same building.
        I was concerned about the environment, but I talked to people who’s kids went to LTAC and they’re not out there mixing with high school students in the hallways.  They might have a few classes with freshmen, but the AC is mostly self-contained.

Viewing 54 reply threads
Reply To: Reply #10977 in 2020-2021 Academic Center Cut-off
Your information:

Cancel