Correlation – Testing time & Outcome

Viewing 64 reply threads
  • Author
      lincolnparkmom

Hi all,

Can someone please share their experience on if and what is the correlation between time spent during testing and final outcome (score or school offered)? My son appeared for kindergarten this academic year. Some responses from the past years will be truly appreciated.

my son was 4 years and 5 months on the day of testing. he was with the examiner for 49 minutes (from the time he left to when i saw him coming out).

Regards,

Anxious mom

• #10324 Reply
      ES

This is very good considering him being on the younger side. Likely 99 on the classical part.

• #10325 Reply
      Outlier

Unless you have enough sample points, I don’t think it would draw you any conclusion.

My DD was there for less than 15 mins, but still admitted to one of these Skinners

• #10326 Reply
      lincolnparkmom

@outlier – that is what i am trying to do here… some concrete data…

• #10329 Reply
      2down2togo

When both my girls tested they were both gone about 20 mins. One was not offered a seat (got in for first though). My other was offered a RGC seat.

• #10331 Reply
      ChicagoBorn

@2down2togo  Interesting.  Were both girls tested the same year for K?  Glad the other got in for 1st, that is excellent!

• #10335 Reply
      ES

When you talk about getting in or not, tiers play a big role. Someone with a score of 80 could have been admitted to “one of these Skinners” from tier 1. I think not knowing the OP’s tier, providing scores would be more helpful than just saying whether you got a seat or not.

• #10338 Reply
      lincolnparkmom

tier definitely plays a huge role, but time spent has to have some significance

• #10339 Reply
      ES

The point I was trying to make is it would be more helpful to respond “my child spent 30 minutes and got 98” than “my child spent 30 minutes and got into Skinner”. Got in with what score?

For a tier 4 parent, the second response is not helpful at all and gives false hope because 30minutes may correltate to a score of 80 and getting in from tier 1.

• #10340 Reply
      lincolnparkmom

Completely agree with what you say. But my perspective if with scenario where we do not have results on our hand. Trying to put my anxiety at rest and see if time spent is in anyway related to final outcome.

I wish there were more active participants on these forums to weigh in their experiences and opinions.

• #10341 Reply
      hopefulmom
      Participant

my kid was in for like 10 minutes and failed terribly last year.

• #10344 Reply
      ES

Yes, time does correlate with the results. The test starts with easier questions and if the childs keeps answering correctly they keep moving to harder questions. After they miss a certain number of questions they are let go. Now, another factor that comes into play is the child’s age. Two kids may get to the same stage in the test before being let go, but the younger will get a higher score as less is expected from let’ s say a 4.2 y.o. vs. 5.1 y.o.

So, you could have 4.2 y.o. who lasted 30 minutes with a score of 99.9 and a 5 y.o. who gets only 85 after 30 minutes.

There are just so many combinations of age and time testing variables plus individual traits, like some kids answer quickly, others may be more thoughtful, it’s hard to tell how well they did just based on time although if it is less than 20 minutes, it is probably not good.

• #10356 Reply
      lincolnparkmom

Thank you @hopefulmom and ES…

• #10358 Reply
      Chicago Born

I agree with ES. So much comes into play.  Age, tier, number of questions asked,  number of questions answered correctly…. and so much more.

Time spent is important but it’s not apples to apples. Some kids talk more with one answer or answer faster  or slowly. Some proctors may go slower or could be using time to warm the child up and get acquainted. Who knows?

Time spent could have a good correlation but it is difficult to calculate as from I have read on cpsobsessesed.com old post various times,  tiers, etc. And saw both 15min to over 45min with high and low scores on either RGC or Classical.  That’s what the parents post keep in mind.

@Lincolnparkmom I understand the anxiety.  Let your thought intake be filled with positive thoughts.

• #10368 Reply
      Outlier

1,00% Given all these factors (controllable and uncontrollable) in play, the whatever conclusion that you draw may just not be applicable to your child. Relax and get plan B..

• #10397 Reply
      lincolnparkmom

dont know why it takes so long for CPS to declare the results

• #10450 Reply
      bpmommy
      Participant

We just took the early entrance to k Test. Between when we filled out the application in Dec and now, we have decided against starting my child early and will most likely be testing for SEES in the fall.  Not because I don’t think my child is ready, but for other personal reasons entirely. But going though with the process out of curiosity and as a back up in case we flip flop again.

According to OAE we will be getting scores back with percentages for cognitive, math, and reading. Sniffing a lot like the SEES/classical exam so I’m wondering if that is what was administered. The kids taking it this month would be between 4 years 2 months to 4 years 5 months.

I came across this wondering if test time had anything to do with scores. They said it could take up to 2 hours (not sure if it’s test time plus wait time). My child was with the tester for 45 minutes on the dot. My child is 4 years, 2 months. Now I’m overthinking this… and the outcome of this test might not even make a difference for us! Except of course I’m guessing there would be correlation to the testing scores we will getting in the fall.

• #10457 Reply
      Chicago Born

Wow if test can take up to 2 hours,  sounds like it is a different test administered.  I know someone whose child took it last year and was placed in an SEES. They applied for early entrance and SEES.  Not sure how long they tested but i know they took two separate test on two separate dates. One for social/emotional  and one for SEES.

I believe I heard parents had an interview also. Did you experience any of these things this year? I know last year was their first year allowing early entrance.

• #10477 Reply
      bpmommy

@chicagoborn

We had some back and forth on the other thread, but just going to add the data here in case it comes up in someone search.

My child ended up getting a 99.9 in cognitive 99.9 in reading and 99.7 with the 45 minutes. So I don’t see how the test could have possibly taken up to two hours. Unless they were considering waiting time!

• #10478 Reply
      bpmommy

Sorry 99.7 was in math.

• #10479 Reply
      bpmommy

And also just adding notes that not sure the social and emotional testing was done.. they never mentioned that as part of it. But this year is the first year that the policy was formalized, so last year could have been different.

• #10480 Reply
      lincolnparkmom

@ bpmommy – thats great. congratulations. which school did he match in to?

• #10481 Reply
      bpmommy

We didn’t apply for any selective enrollment schools. We put 11 neighborhood/magnet schools on our application in Dec. I thought it would be too much to put a 4 year old into 1st/2nd grade work. My child could handle it I’m sure. But I don’t want to push too hard, and let my child just be a kid!! So now we get put into the general wait list for those schools, and will find out in April with the rest of you if we are given a spot. Or we have the option to get a certificate from OAE and enroll in our neighborhood school. But we are not actually planning on going forward with the early enrollment. If we decide to decline, we will have the ability to re apply for 2021 K in October.

• #10484 Reply
      lincolnparkmom

got it. that is very sensible and reasonable. let kids be kids. does not look like you have to worry anyways with the academic future of your kid.

• #10485 Reply
      Neeha

My kid was there for the early enrollment test in dec for about 1 hr 10 mins.

Scored 99 percentile in congnitive and reading. Was 92% on math. She was 4 years 2 months on the day of testing .

we were not aware of selective enrollment test then; so now are flip flopping between dropping out from this year for SEES on Kindergarten next year or go ahead with a neighbourhood/magnet school if her name is picked in the latter.

• #10488 Reply
      Chicago Born

Ok, last year it was the cognitive,  math and reading not social/emotional.   And then their child took SEES.  I know definitely it was 2 test on 2 different dates. Plus the parent survey

• #10489 Reply
      bpmommy

Thanks for feedback! Do you know if there was correlation between the early entry test scores and SEES test scores in your friends case? They both include aptitude and math/reading attainment with a weighted score based on child’s year and month.

• #10490 Reply
      Ying Gao

Hi lincolnparkmom,

My older daughter was offered a seat in K at SN 3 years ago. She was in the room for 50 minutes and got score of 99 reading and 96 math.

My younger daughter got in K at SN last year. She was in the room for 30 minutes and got score of 99 reading and 98 math.

We are in tier 3.

Hope this helps you and good luck!

• #10491 Reply
      ChicagoBorn

Hi Ying Gao,

Did both of your daughters test for both RGC and Classical schools?  Or only Classical Schools.  Did you select RGC schools on the application also?

It may not matter but was curious.  I have heard that K applicants will be given both test for RGC and Classical schools even if they do not select both.  I assume this is to avoid clerical error or mishap by the OAE or the test proctor by accidentally not testing a child for one of the test.  Anyone heard of this?

• #10492 Reply
      ChicagoBorn

Great scores by your daughters!

• #10493 Reply
      Ying

Hi ChicagoBorn,

They both tested for RGC too.

My older one got score close to 150 but my younger one got only a little over 100.

We did list RGC schools in our applications as options but both times we listed SN as our first choice.

• #10494 Reply
      lincolnparkmom

That is amazing Ying Gao. Thanks for sharing info. Appreciate it.

• #10495 Reply
      ChicagoBorn

Thanks Ying Gao

• #10506 Reply
      Fingerscrossed

Here for my upcoming Kindergartener (4yr 7mo) who tested for less than 20 min (from pt of separation to when she was returned to me in the waiting rm). Not very optimistic, but still holding onto a thread of hope.

Her brother is in 2nd grade now. He was 5yr 1mo when he tested for about 90 min and scored 99/99 for classical, 145 for gifted. Tier 4 and was admitted to our 1st choice classical school.

• #10507 Reply
      ChicagoBorn

@Fingerscrossed

90 minutes is the longest I have ever heard for a child testing for kindergarten.  That’s an hour and a half.  Did your child ever come out during the test or was your child literally gone for 90 minutes?  Those were very high scores too 99/99 for classical and 145 for gifted.

• #10708 Reply
      Fingerscrossed

It was actually a bit longer (100 min), but we rounded down to 1.5 hrs. He was in there the whole time. We didn’t count but it felt like there were lots of kids who went in after him and came out before him. I agree he scored high in both classical and RGS, so my guess is he went long on both tests. He’s also chatty, so I’m sure that was a factor for how long he was in there.

• #10710 Reply
      ChicagoBorn

@Fingerscrossed Thanks for sharing.  100 minutes is even longer, oh wow!  I wish your daughter good luck with her scores.  Yes do hold out as you never know

• #10723 Reply
      Chance

Could you share your tier? My daughter got in for less than 15 minutes too. She was only tested for classical.

• #10724 Reply
      Chance

@outlier

• #10733 Reply
      Outlier

@chance – tier 4.

15min is plenty of time for one test. We were there for 2 tests – both gifted and classical

• #10738 Reply
      ES

If it is K, they automatically test for both, no?

• #10760 Reply
      HJ

Not sure what the policies were in the past but they test for both for Kdg. And I’m pretty sure they don’t go over 45 min for any child.

• #10761 Reply
      ES

They do go over 45 minutes.

• #11118 Reply
      JB

A few years back, my son’s test lasted longer than 1 hour. He got 99.9 math, 99.9 reading, and 148 RGC.  My daughter’s test was 15 minutes, and her scores were not as high, but she still got into a classical school for a high math score.

There is definitely a high correlation between test time and scores. Not just based on anecdotal evidence, but the nature of the test: if the kid knows more, s/he will be asked more questions.

• #11120 Reply
      Chicago Born
      1. @JB what was your daughter’s scores for testing 15 minutes?
    • #11121 Reply
      JB

She got 93 Reading, 99.7 Math, 132 RGC

• #11122 Reply
      JB

BTW, the decimal point in math and reading scores makes a big difference:

99.9  =  1 in 1,000

99.7  = 1 in 333

99     = 1 in 100

97     = 1 in 33

I think in order to get two 99.9s in reading and math, the test should last 45 minutes at least.

• #11123 Reply
      Chicago Born

JB thanks this is very helpful.  Your daughter still did well in 15 minutes of testing and getting into a classical school.  Both children died great,  congrats!

• #11124 Reply
      Chicago Born

Typo did instead of died

• #11127 Reply
      lincolnparkmom

Started the thread but never posted it here. Test time 49 minutes. 99 R 98 M 142 RGC. Tier 4. Matched at Skinner North. Hope this helps.

• #11128 Reply
      ChicagoBorn

Posting here too

Test time 33 minutes

R 99 M 90

Tier 4

Accepted at Poe Classical

• #11129 Reply
      ChicagoBorn

Forgot RGC score 119

• #11130 Reply
      bpmommy

@jb do you happen to know how to covert RGC scores into percentiles?

• #11135 Reply
      JB

The RGC score is upposed to be related to IQ

135  = 99%

131 = 98%

125 = 95%

120 =90%

Actually, the scores from children of this age are not that meaningful, but CPS has to use some metric to decide who should get in.

Parental involvement is crucial for properly educating children. Getting in SEES or neighborhood school is far less important.

• #11137 Reply
      kt

Can anyone share the time and scores for 1st grade test. Thanks!

• #11138 Reply
      Hopefulmom

For first grade and beyond all the kids get taken together and are allotted the same amount of time. The tests are two separate tests and each are 1 or 2 hours. I don’t remember exactly.  It’s a paper test and you have to fill in the bubble.

Side note. My child took the Kindergarten test last year and bomb both sections, was in and out in 10 minutes. we tried again this year and there was a drastic increase in reading, math, and the RGC score. Drastic enough that she got an offer from an RGC. 50 points, 20 points, and 40 point increase respectively. No test prep per day, but we did work on her sight words and learning how to read at home this year.

• #11140 Reply
      bpmommy

@jb thanks!!

Do you happen to know what scores equate to above 99% on the SEES exam?  Such as 99.5, 99.7, 99.9?

• #11146 Reply
      JB

The reading/math scores are actually percentiles. RGC score is not.

• #11147 Reply
      bpmommy

@jb

Sorry if I wasn’t clear. In your above example:

131 = 98%

125 = 95%

120 =90%

Do you know what would score would rank a child above the 99th percentile? The test goes to 160 I believe?

• #11151 Reply
      JB

156 ~99.99%

147 ~99.9%

142 ~99.7%

139 ~99.5%

• #11153 Reply
      bpmommy

Thank you!!!! @jb

• #11156 Reply
      Outlier

Thanks! Care to share how this is derived? Assuming normal distribution?

• #11161 Reply
        LakeviewMom

LOL, glad to see I am not the only one looking for patterns here. I think a normal (avg=100 and sttdev~15) approximately explains the numbers above. A quick google search confirms: https://bit.ly/2ZeHxGi

• #11162 Reply
      bpmommy

The type of test itself matters too. Different types of IQ tests have different ceilings, I believe.

• #11163 Reply
      bpmommy

The type of test itself matters too. Different types of IQ tests have different ceilings, I believe.

• #11250 Reply
      Momoftwo

Daughter was with tester just over 50 min. for RGC test. Did not do classical test. She got a 136.

Viewing 64 reply threads
Reply To: Reply #10477 in Correlation – Testing time & Outcome
Your information:

Cancel