Kindergarten 2021-2022 applicant chat

Viewing 39 reply threads
  • Author
      Bpmommy

Figured I would start a new thread for those of us that are testing for next year!!

If you child mentioned anything about what was on the test, I would refrain from mentioning it, as they would give the later testers an advantage.

My child took the test today, and was with the tester 45 minutes. 5 years 0 months. How long was your child in exam room for?

• #11725 Reply
      BunnyMom

My daughter is taking the test next week. I will definitely update everyone.

• #11729 Reply
      Choosymommy

I missed the new years eve email letting me know that test dates had opened up (it went to my promotions mailbox!).  Trying to find out when the new dates will be released.

• #11734 Reply
      eastvillagemom
      Participant

My daughter took the test today. Curious why sharing anything would give an advantage, though? It was my impression that the questions are changed and the test is adjusted for age.

• #11735 Reply
      LSQMom

My daughter took the exam Tuesday as well. She was with the proctor for about an hour. She’ll be 5 in March. I pried, but was not able to get much information from her anyway regarding the test 😉 Good luck to all!

• #11736 Reply
      Bpmommy

@eastvillagemom. I don’t believe that each individual kid gets a different test but could be wrong.  I have heard that the test questions get more difficult as the test progresses (for classical test anyway) and older kids are expected to get farther though the questions the older they are. I’m unsure if they all start at the same test questions though. Or if the older kids start with harder questions.  But in any event, if someone on here had a same age child as yours and you provided test questions it would give them an advantage. Just trying to promote fairness!

@choosymommy keep us updated! So you know when the current last test date is scheduled for?

@LSQMom an hour is great!! I have heard both that time matters and time doesn’t matter. In theory, if they get to progress until the test is too difficult, time would matter of course. But I’m sure some kids have a quick answer and some don’t. So many factors at play here! Also see above comment about unsure if younger kids start with easier questions then older. Possibly last years testers might chime in? What schools are you shooting for?

• #11737 Reply
      eastvillagemom
      Participant

@bpmommy: Makes sense. I’d be nervous to post anything my daughter told me about the test regardless, only because the information she tells us changes every five minutes and I don’t want to mislead anyone based on shaky reporting from a 5 year old! I definitely wish there was more that was public about it, though!

My daughter (turning 5 this month) was gone about an hour and fifteen minutes. She definitely did note that the beginning questions were really easy. She (like all the other kids that came back into the waiting room while I was there) was most excited about getting a sticker…

• #11739 Reply
      Bpmommy

@eastvillagemom Ha, yes same one the sticker!!  How were they running yesterday? Did you daughter get to start close to her scheduled time? First day was running pretty behind. But our tester walked my daughter themselves to/from the room. From a friend I spoke to today, seems like they were running on schedule (tested today) But they had a different person that picked up their child and returned them. So wondering if they added a walker to the testing room to speed things up!!

• #11740 Reply
        eastvillagemom
        Participant

They were running pretty much on schedule, which was awesome! My daughter only waited 10 minutes past her appointment time, which I consider “on time.”

Interesting about the runner vs. teacher taking the kids. We had people bringing the kids to and from the testing rooms, and they weren’t the testers. I had assumed this was SOP so parents can’t heckle and/or bribe the testers 🙂

• #11743 Reply
          Bpmommy

I’m guessing that is why they were running so behind on day one!  Pretty inefficient. They mentioned something about wanting to expose the kids to as little people as possible. But maybe it was scraped after day one. My daughter confirmed that the walker was the tester. Did you daughter get taken directly to the room? Or did she have to wait a bit before she got to the test room?

• #11748 Reply
            eastvillagemom
            Participant

She said the runner took her straight to the tester, so it didn’t sound like she waited long if at all.

I don’t know that testing time correlates at all whatsoever to performance, but will note for additional anecdotal evidence that there was a massive range of times from what I saw. Some kids were back in 20 minutes and some were back in 50+. I can’t really tell their ages well so can’t say if there was a relationship between age and test time.

I am kind of kicking myself for asking what questions she was asked because now it just makes me MORE curious as to what was actually on the exam! One question she relayed seems to have no right answer (of course, this assumes she retold it correctly!).

• #11741 Reply
      girlmom

Hi, our daughter was away for 80 minutes on Wednesday (she is 4 years 6 months). To me it seemed that a walker took her to the tester, and that is what my daughter told me too. They were running a little behind on that day.

My impression was that most of the kids around us stayed for at least an hour. I believe due to the protocols in place this year the average time per kid is going to be longer. I am also unsure that the length they are there means anything.

• #11744 Reply
        Bpmommy

Actually it seems the more people I talk to, the younger kids had longer test times which is super interesting! All 4 year olds had times over 1 hour so far!

• #11742 Reply
      LSQMom

Tuesday testing schedule ran very late. I was worried it might negatively affect her, but I actually think it dissolved any nerves she had about the situation. She was excited when her name was called and bubbly when she came back, as were most kids I saw.

@Bpmommy
      , we are applying to Edison, Decatur, Bell and Mcpherson.

• #11745 Reply
        Bpmommy

My kid was so over waiting that she almost sprinted across the room when they called her name! She didn’t even wait for the person to grab her! She kept asking when it was going to be her turn, appearing very annoyed. 😂

• #11746 Reply
        Bpmommy

Also, I have heard great things about Edison! Too far for us. Good luck!

• #11750 Reply
      Bpmommy

Also curios as to what schools you all applied for and how did you rank them?

Our rankings were:

1) Bell

2) Skinner W

3) Skinner N

4) Pritzker

• #11758 Reply
      Perla25

My daughter (4 years, 9 months) took the test last week. She was in there for just under an hour. Two years ago, my older daughter was in there for just under 20 minutes and is currently in an RGC.  We’ll see how it turns out!  Good luck to everyone. Hope to see us all sharing good news in a few looong months 🙂

• #11762 Reply
        Bpmommy

Sorry I wrote this below under the wrong comment. Rushing though I guess.

Thanks for sharing!   Anecdotal evidence that time does not matter. We’re her scores just as good for classical? How old was she when she took the test

• #11764 Reply
          Perla25

When my older daughter took the test in 2018, she was 4 years, 6 months. I can’t remember the scores for the life of me, but I don’t think it was anything spectacular. At the time, I wasn’t aware of these forums and score ranges, so I never really made it a point to remember. 🙂

• #11759 Reply
      SadMommy

My son had a horrible time of it. He fought with his brother, barely ate breakfast.  And he got sent to the corner that morning. Said he was hungry, thirsty and was fidgety before the test. Got into the test and put his head done and just said he didn’t know the answer to any questions. Poor boy!

• #11765 Reply
      GB_Mom

My child took the test last week (4y 9m).  It look about 50 minutes and the only feedback I got was “The teacher was a boy!”.  Highlight of the test was receiving 2 stickers.  So, I can’t really provide much insight on the test.  They were running on time and said that the test taking time might take longer than normal.  Several of the parents had a blank look at that statement, so hopefully I wasn’t the only one who didn’t know what “normal” timing is.  And now we wait…

• #11766 Reply
        Bpmommy

Seems like a lot of people are reporting an hour plus, which seems long. I had my eye on it a bit last year because my daughter took the early entry to kindergarten test.

• #11767 Reply
          GB_Mom

Is the early entry testing for K similar set up?  Any thoughts or expectations about it?  My 2nd’s birthday is a week after the cut off, so I was considering the early entry option.  I heard that they will almost never allow it.

• #11770 Reply
            Bpmommy

It’s similar in that your child has to take a test with a phycologist and you get a percentage in cognitive/reading/math. If your child passes they can enroll in their neighborhood kindergarten and also partake in the lottery with the rest of the incoming kindergarteners. You can also apply for selective enrollment schools and take the selective enrollment tests. Is your child turning 5 in 2021? Did you submit your application already?

• #11771 Reply
            Bpmommy

Sorry, I’m assuming that child #1 is going though testing this year so #2 can’t be turning 5 this year. Check this out for future reference https://go.cps.edu/accelerated-placement

• #11779 Reply
              GB_Mom

Child #1 will be 5 this year, Child #2 will not be 5 for a couple more years, but I wanted to get my head in the right space because I’m fairly new to the city and all of this has been mind-blowing!!

• #11768 Reply
      Mayve

Can my child still apply to be tested or has the application deadline ended? I am having a tough time finding information.

• #11769 Reply
        Bpmommy

Have you applied to any selective enrollment schools?

• #11772 Reply
      PTmommy
      Participant

Hello everyone I am new here and my son took the test last week. I am extremely anxious for the results, he goes to school everyday, when I asked him what was on the test he immediately said “I dont know” when his teacher asked he spilled the beans, and basically told her everything. Is it common that they “dont know” when they come out?

• #11776 Reply
        eastvillagemom
        Participant

I wish there were DMs on here because I’d love to chat with parents who also have kids that just took the test. I’m so curious what other kids have said about it!

• #11777 Reply
          Ptmommy

Has your DS or DD taken the test already?

• #11778 Reply
            eastvillagemom
            Participant

Yes, she took it the second week of January. She told us a couple different things – half the things she said have sort of changed over time and the other half have remained consistent. It’s honestly just made me more curious what happens in the testing room.

• #11781 Reply
              Ptmommy

I would love to connect too

• #11784 Reply
                Bpmommy

Same! We can definitely share more on here once the testing period is over. I wonder if they change it up every year?

• #11785 Reply
              eastvillagemom
              Participant

Good point about being able to talk a bit more after the testing period is over!

• #11780 Reply
        GB_Mom

I get “I don’t know” all the time as a response.  I’m incredibly curious to know what goes on during these exams too.

• #11773 Reply
      PTmommy
      Participant

He also mentioned that the proctor said “i am so proud of you” and gave him a sticker.

• #11774 Reply
      Confused123

Has anyone seen an explanation of how admission decisions are made for kindergarten SEES? Is it just based on test score and order in which parent ranked schools? Thanks!

• #11775 Reply
        girlmom

Hi, it is based on that but also on Tier. There is a video on go.cps about how the decisions are made, but I cannot remember where I saw it. I think for classical, first 30 percent of spots are reserved for best scores, and then for the rest they look at Tiers as well.

• #11816 Reply
          ChicagoMamma
          Participant

The first 30 percent of students (for classical and gifted) are the top scores, period. After that, they distribute the empty seats based on the top scores per tier. There are 4 tiers. You can look on the CPS website to see what tier you are in. It’s nothing you can control. Its purpose is to encourage diversity and give the city’s students a more equitable chance at these schools.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by ChicagoMamma.
    • #11787 Reply
      Perla25

Does anyone know how much longer testing goes?  Does it go to into March now? My daughter was already tested, so I can’t see the available test dates anymore. Ahhh!  This wait is sooo long.

• #11793 Reply
        Bpmommy

I’m guessing that they continue to open spots as needed. I did email the office to find out when we will get results and they said late spring/early summer.

• #11804 Reply
          GB_Mom

Really?! Wow.  That seems later than what I was originally told.

• #11854 Reply
            Bpmommy

What were you told? I emailed the office in January, so my info could be outdated.

• #11873 Reply
              GB_Mom

I thought they said April, but that could have been before they realized how COVID might push testing times out.

• #11788 Reply
      Jb

Daughter is 4y11m. Took about 65 minutes.

• #11791 Reply
      AM

My daughter is 5Y3M. It took her about 45 min.

• #11799 Reply
      Trice Williams

We took the test this week. Daughter is a few weeks shy of her 5th birthday. She was testing for about 45 minutes. The only thing she told me is that they asked her to identify a few sight words. The rating was very smooth. We were sky 20 minutes early and they got her right away.

• #11800 Reply
      MommaOf1

Hello! My son tested today. Like many he was hesitant to tell me anything. Lol he is 5 years 0 months. He mentioned there being some questions of “what doesn’t belong” and preceded to name different shapes. The process was smooth there was a total of about 7 children including us. From the moment he was taken he came back in about 35 minutes. Overall seemed quick. Hoping for positive results!

• #11801 Reply
      Southside Dad

My son took the exam earlier this month, and he was 4 years, 4 months at the time. He was testing for about 50 minutes. He only told me that they asked him a LOT of questions, and that he went into 3 different rooms. He didn’t say what the questions were about though.

• #11803 Reply
      MomChi

My daughter will be 5 in March. She was testing for a hour.  We are very happy with our current private school, so didn’t do any preparation or any research about these exams. We think let her try it to give us an idea if she is smart… We were so concerned that the exam took her that long! This thread makes me feel much better.

• #11853 Reply
      gapyear

My dear child took the test last week. Was in for 45 mins. He is 4y 5m. Hoping to hear good news in a few months. Best of luck to everyone

• #11856 Reply
      Chimommy

Hello, my son is 4yrs8m and when asked what questions were he asked on the test he definitely said “what doesn’t belong” , shapes, lots of people and his favorite color.  I didn’t pay attention to time because I knew that would cause too much anxiety for me as a parent so I blocked the time out of my mind.  Best wishes to you all!
      School choices are #1Poe Classical (our oldest son attends), #Lenart, #McDade, #Bronzeville Classical

• #11857 Reply
      Chimommy

Remembering from 3 years ago when my oldest son took the exam, one thing that was in common was a question or two around people and careers.   For example,  showed a picture of a postal worker and had to say delivering mail or some sort, another example of a fireman and asked what do firemen do?

• #11858 Reply
      LSQMom

Does anyone know when SEES testing ends (or when last test dates are on the sign-up)? Just trying to get a better sense of when we will get results.

• #11859 Reply
      notabearsfan
      Participant

FYI: I called GoCPS today. The person on the line indicated that they intend to announce the release dates by the end of March and that they hope for HS results in April and Elementary results in May. Regarding elementary schools, I asked “but maybe in June?” and she didn’t exclude the possibility entirely but at the same time made it sound unlikely.

So broad strokes: April for HS and May for elementary but don’t bet the farm on it. She was very clear that we should expect a clear set of dates by the end of March.

• #11862 Reply
        LSQMom

Thanks for the info!

• #11863 Reply
      gapyear

@Chimommy – 4y8m …did he tested for the early entry for kindergarten first before qualifying for this test? Curious, as I have another son that will be 5 after Sept 1st. Wondering how this process will go. Thanks so much!!

• #11868 Reply
        ChicagoMamma
        Participant

The process goes like this (for this coming year):

Child with post-September 1 birthday will take the early entrance to K test in January.
        If you get the green light from that, then they will set up a test for SEES. That test can be in January, February, or even March. They will make sure whoever wants to take the test can, so you don’t have to worry about running out of time.
        This is from OAE.

• #11870 Reply
      chiMom

@southside Dad 4Y4M did your kid take the early entrance to KG already

• #11871 Reply
        Southside Dad

@chiMom My son’s birthday is right before the 9/1  cutoff, so he didn’t take an early entrance exam since he’ll be 5 y.o when the new school year starts.

• #11930 Reply
        Bpmommy

Did your child take the early entry exam as well? (Turning 5 between September 2 and December 31st in 2021?) Last year we got our early entry scores 1-2 days after we tested. I was surprised how quick the turn around time was

• #11931 Reply
        Bpmommy

above was for @chimom

• #11879 Reply
      CPSFAMILY

Hi! So, when will we get first round offers for RGC Kindergarten? The above poster said maybe Mayor June? Does anyone have additional information?

• #11880 Reply
        LSQMom

CPS has announced that SEHS scores and admissions decisions will be released April 30, but has not yet announced the date SEES will be released. It is typically a few weeks after SEHS. Other posters have confirmed that CPS will announced the SEES release date in March. So, we should at least know when we will get results by the end of this month.

• #11882 Reply
          LSQMom

Last year results were delayed and were announced May 8. I’m hoping it’s not much later than that.

• #11919 Reply
      Bpmommy

I got an email from CPS. Results will be released on May 28th.

• #11921 Reply
        eastvillagemom
        Participant

I didn’t get any email with a date – what great coordination and communication from CPS.

• #11922 Reply
          Bpmommy

Back when we were waiting for dates for the 2020-2021 application process to open, I signed up on the information mailing list. It’s at the bottom of gocps called “
          <h2 class=”text-center-sm”>SUBSCRIBE FOR
          2021-22 SCHOOL
          YEAR”</h2>

I’m pretty sure that is why I got the email. I have also received I information about the preschool and high school application process from fall-spring. And random other information, such as when they extended the application period.

• #11923 Reply
            Bpmommy

(Subscribe for 2021-22 school year) somehow it didn’t like that I copied and pasted the name.

• #11924 Reply
          Bpmommy

Sorry about all the comments. Just wanted to add that I noticed they have not updated the site with a date, so I figured some of you may not have been subscribed and wanted to loop you in.

• #11926 Reply
            eastvillagemom
            Participant

I just got the email this morning. Appreciate the early info, thank you!

• #11927 Reply
              Bpmommy

No problem! I got a second email today. Each structured a bit different, but saying the same thing. One was probably triggered by the mailing list I subscribed too, and the other from our application. One from gocps, and one from the OAE.

• #11934 Reply
      Chicagomom

Has anyone been able to login to the go cps account? It seems the website isn’t working. I received an email few days ago indicating how they will send out information to access the results in the week of 23rd May – nothing yet. Does anyone have any information?

• #11935 Reply
        Macy

I signed up for the CPS notifications on their website and received an mail saying the go.cps.edu website will be down 4/28 and we will not be abele to access our accounts until Friday  4/30 after 5pm. This is in preparation to posting of  the High School results.

• #11988 Reply
      IrvParkMom

I’ve seen multiple people this morning posting that their child got into the pre-k they wanted, etc. Did they start sending out emails early? I checked the site and my daughter’s status hasn’t been updated.

• #11989 Reply
        Betty

Where are you seeing this?

• #11991 Reply
        skk

I saw this too but it was for the “Chicago early learning” PK4s – not for the montesorris like Suder, Drummond, etc.  Those still come out 5/28, I believe.   We tried for early learning but did not get offered a spot, ugh. – probably stick with daycare anyways because who knows if CPS will offer after-care this fall.

• #11992 Reply
          IrvParkMom

Got it! Thanks!

• #12444 Reply
          Jennifer Witter

Call the early learning office. They will place 4 year olds. might not be a good spot.. but call and tell them what you prefer..

• #11990 Reply
      IrvParkMom

3 people on social media stated this (that I don’t know personally so can’t really inquire more).

• #12000 Reply
      eastvillagemom
      Participant

Anyone else feeling like Friday is lightyears away?

Waiting for results has made me realize that I don’t even understand the RGC score model. I understand that Classical Reading and Math scores are percentiles, but it seems like “good” RGC scores from last year ranged from the 130s to the 160s. Any insight on this?

• #12002 Reply
        Bpmommy

The next three days are absolutely going to drag on. I feel like I’m in a pretty good place though, with the attitude that the universe is going to put my child in the school that is the best fit for her. (Gosh.. I really hope so anyways!!) We passed up an early kindergarten enrollment offer last year (despite getting a 99.9 in cognitive, 99.9 in reading, and 99.7 in math) She didn’t do the selective enrollment testing last year, just the early entrance exam.  I am glad we didn’t put her in k last year, as she would have been doing remote most of the year.  And instead she had fun at an in person preschool program. I feel sorry for the kids that lost a year of fun during covid. But with those scores… I was a bit nervous about not enrolling her, and taking a chance that she would end up in a school that challenges her this year. I do like our neighborhood school… but I don’t think it’s the best fit for her. I hope it is all going to work out!

It seems like in order for a tier 4 child to be placed in the more competitive two RGC’s (Edison and Bell)   they need a mid 140s? I didn’t quite retain as much information about other tiers in reading previous years ( as we are tier 4)

Hopefully we will start getting some good data on Friday for those that are hoping for offers in subsequent rounds as to how close they were for first round offers!

• #12006 Reply
        GB_Mom

Friday feels like it’s never going to get here.

• #12008 Reply
        Bpmommy

Well now it seems that the emotional part of my brain is driving the bus, and logic has now been pushed aside. I can not believe we have to wait another ~ 24 hours! I can’t stand it!! I have already logged into my gocps account like some lunatic. I will probably be checking before 5 pm tomorrow and refreshing multiple times. If you will be doing the same… know that you are not alone!

• #12003 Reply
      Bpmommy

Has anyone heard rumors about open houses between offers and acceptance deadlines? (For any schools… selective enrollment, magnet, etc) We did some virtual tours during COVID, but it would be nice to step foot inside a school before an offer is accepted!

• #12009 Reply
        GB_Mom

I haven’t heard this rumor but that would be really great if they allowed it just for people who received offers which would limit the number of people.

• #14681 Reply
      SebastianWise
      Participant

Now can I apply for my daughter or not

• #11761 Reply
      Bpmommy

Sorry I wish I could delete that above comment!! That was intended for the comment above.

Poor guy! How did the testers handle the situation?

Viewing 39 reply threads
Reply To: Reply #11773 in Kindergarten 2021-2022 applicant chat
Your information:

Cancel