Kindergarten Scores

• This topic has 31 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by lincolnparkmom.
Viewing 27 reply threads
  • Author
      Concerned Mom

My 4.5 year old son was tested for both gifted and classical programs and his scores were quite low.  He seems like a bright kid, so getting a score of 77 on gifted test got me a little worried (especially if it reflects his IQ).  Is it normal for young kids to underperform, especially with no test preparation?

P.S. His reading score was 64 and his math score was 4 for classical part.

• #10243 Reply
      hparker

If your perception of your child and your report of the scores are both correct, then a possible explanation is that, during the testing session, your son behaved in a non-cooperative manner.  A math score of 4 would otherwise be hard to justify even without preparation.

• #10244 Reply
      Concerned Mom

My son may be a bit spoiled, so being uncooperative would not be out of character for him.  He has an expressive speech delay, so not sure if that also played a part in his low scores.  Math score was definitely a big surprise.

Thanks for your reply hparker.

• #10245 Reply
        jazzman

He probably didnt response or felt comfortable with his tester. I recommend a book called verbal math vol 1 and vol 2 great for classical test. Gifted test is more abstract thinking paper folding and puzzles, logic, mazes and etc..

• #10246 Reply
          Concerned Mom

Thanks for your thoughts on this and for the book recommendation jazzman.  I have been focused so much on my son’s speech and social skills that I didn’t pay much attention to anything else.

• #10247 Reply
            jazzman

Its nuts we have to have a discussion or anxiety and stress for kindergarten ??!! I use to laugh and look at people strange for having these discussions. Now I have joined the ranks or mob. I already did this dance and about to do it again for Academic center. What are we doing??!!

• #10280 Reply
          ChicagoBorn

Thanks for the verbal math book recommendation

• #10279 Reply
      PreK dad

If your child did early testing for kindergarden, can you share some information – Birth month, length of test and score? Trying hard not to interpret but my daughter was in the room for less than 15 minutes and I cant believe we have to wait until April to find out results.  She has an April birthday, speech delay but knows how to read and solve basic math problems. But I can also see her guessing because she didn’t understand the question. Really hoping she has a chance at Skinner North.

• #10306 Reply
      Chicago Born

Great question on test time.  How is everyone measuring test time start and finish? i.e. start from the time the child’s name is called, or when you can no longer see them when they walk off with proctor,  or the time of your scheduled test?

• #10313 Reply
      Streetermom

My daughter was 4 and 9 months when she was tested in January. She was with the tester for 40 minutes (from when she left with the tester to when she came out).

• #10314 Reply
      PreK dad

I’m going by when I no longer saw them to when they returned. But I’m sure introductions, choosing a sticker and walking back took up a few extra minutes.

• #10315 Reply
      ChicagoBorn

My child was with the tester for 33 minutes, timing from when I no longer saw them to when they came out.  5 years 0 months tested in January – birthday month.

• #10318 Reply
      lincolnparkmom

my son was 4 years and 5 months on the day of testing. he was with the examiner for 49 minutes (from the time he left to when i saw him coming out).

how does the time spent impact the final outcome? can anyone please share their experiences or hear say?

good luck everyone…

• #10334 Reply
      PreK dad

I don’t know that testing time has a direct correlation to test score. But it seems to be a decent indicator since the test ends when a certain percentage of questions are incorrectly answered.

• #10337 Reply
      lincolnparkmom

@PreKdad – I didn’t realize that the testing stops when a kid has x number of answers wrong. I guess it is a good way to have a similar landmark for all. If we go by that may be there is a different number of incorrect answers allowed for younger kids vs older ones???

• #10346 Reply
      t.diddy

I believe the test is different based on age.

• #10348 Reply
      Chicago Born

I have thought that children of certain age groups are compared to one another.  For example 4y1m to 4y3m, 4y4m to 4y6m, 4y7m to 4y9m, 4y10m to 5y0m, 5y1m to 5y3m etc…

I assume since the 4y0m are not 4 by Sept 1, they may take a different test? I do not know.  I know the students not 5 by Sept 1 test later in July.  Or they just get more time to prepare since their test is in July.  So they would be older like 4y7m (is that the age Dec babies are in July?). So July testers are 4y7m to 4y10mo (going backwards from Dec 2020 to Sept 2020 birthdays).

Can we assume a Sept 1st birthday is given the less difficult test or the besr algorithm for calculating their results if they take the test the first day CPS offers in Oct or Nov?  I do not know when was the first test date?  Anyone know?

• #10349 Reply
      Chicago Born

For clarity I mean I have thought children of certain age groups test scores are compared to one another

• #10355 Reply
      lincolnparkmom

testing starts in november so the youngest kid to appear for that calender year is 4 yr 3 months…

• #10357 Reply
      Chicago Born

Ok Nov is first test date.   So a Sept 1 child can test since they are considered eligible for K since they will be 5 at the start of school.  November test for Sept 1 is 4y2m right?

• #10401 Reply
      ES

Those who tested early and have their scores, is the highest score for math and reading 99 ot 99.9?

Can someone confirm if they received a score higher than 99? (I.e. with decimals after it)

• #10405 Reply
      lincolnparkmom

everyone will get their scores together in april… i believe…

• #10407 Reply
      ES

That is not true. Those who tested in November up to a certain date (I believe 22nd) for KINDERGARTEN, already have their scores.

Need to confirm if 99.9 or just 99 is the highest? Anyone?

• #10414 Reply
      clrs

From what I have seen and heard for the scores that came out December 2019, I have seen five 99s among kids I know, but I haven’t seen anything above 99. But I know on the letter they send out it says the highest is 99.9.

Why does the decimal matter to you ES? Which schools are you aiming for?

• #10415 Reply
      ES

Thank you for sharing, clrs! We are probably going to be ok with 99 to get into SN from tier 4, I was just surprised not to see 99.9 in Reading for my at the time of testing 4.9 y.o who officially reads at a 3rd grade level.

• #10422 Reply
      clrs

Hi ES, I see. I’d like to talk to you more about this. Please send me an email in this temporary email “clrstemp@trashmail.com” that expires after 30 days. Sorry for being cyrptic. This website has no way to private message or delete previous posts.

• #10425 Reply
      ES

clrs, I e-mailed you, but it came back undeliverable. You can post your questions here and I’ll answer the best I can.

• #10426 Reply
      ChicagoBorn

@ES,  I understand why you are concerned with Tier 4 and trying for SN.  I myself do not know any early testers either beyond 99.  If you child had 99 in reading what was their math score?

• #10427 Reply
      clrs

I actually do not recommend the the Verbal Math Lesson books for the kindergarten exam. Even volume 1 is too advanced. If you read the reviews on Amazon it’s more for older children already in school. My child (with a fall birthday so on the older side) struggled with the volume 1 book and we stopped using it, but still scored a 99 on the Kindergarten math exam.  I think the math you see on the common school workbooks are much better (I do not have a particular one to recommend).

==========

ES. Sorry about that. It was my first time using trashmail (and last time).  Here is another email I set up: “temp[insert our city’s name]schooloptions@gmail.com” So it should be temp+the name of this website at gmail. Hopefully it’ll work this time. I’d like to talk about school further. Thanks!

• #10429 Reply
      ES

• #10441 Reply
      jazzman

I actually do not recommend the the Verbal Math Lesson books for the kindergarten exam. Even volume 1 is too advanced. If you read the reviews on Amazon it’s more for older children already in school. My child (with a fall birthday so on the older side) struggled with the volume 1 book and we stopped using it, but still scored a 99 on the Kindergarten math exam.  I think the math you see on the common school workbooks are much better (I do not have a particular one to recommend).

verbal math worked very well for me and my child and alot of other people I recommended it and they also got great results as well  but again you know whats best for your child.

• #10448 Reply
      lincolnparkmom

i wonder if this corona virus scare will have any impact on when they will declare the results??? will see…

Viewing 27 reply threads
Reply To: Reply #10407 in Kindergarten Scores
Your information:

Cancel