Learning center for SEES

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      buzzchicago

My little one is 2.5 yrs old. His older sibling in CPS classical school – was easy to train. Would want little one to go to the same school. Looking for a good learning center/day care which helps a toddler with SEES type training. Any suggestions? Preferably around Lincoln park.

• #11209 Reply
      JB

Have you considered teaching him/her by yourself? while reserving preschool for playing and social activities only.

I started teach my son when he was 3. Only 5 minutes math and 5 minutes reading a day, everyday, until he was 4. Then doing each topic 15 minutes to 30 minutes a day prior to the exam. It may sound easy, but requires a lot of preparation, persistence for the parents.

My son got 99.9, 99.9, and 148. Basically, any one of his scores was enough to be admitted a SEES. Parental effort makes a huge difference. I doubt any “learning center” would be that consistent in a 2 year span.

• #11210 Reply
      ES

Kudos to you, JB! OP, this is the way to go, take things in your own hands. There are schools that are more academically rigorous than others and it will help by exposing your child to what’s tested on a classical test. However, you still have to work with them consistently.

• #11211 Reply
      buzzchicago

Thnx for you inputs. We are trying. But can you pls share name of some the centers if you know?

• #11214 Reply
      Hercules

My child, who was accepted at our top choice,  Decatur, attends Montessori Gifted Prep School located in Lincoln Square.  We love the school, staff, and families that attend. Families are diverse and my child was always excited about going to preschool to hang out with friends.  Every year they send multiple children to SEES schools because the school is academically rigorous.  I believe that the majority of Montessori Gifted Prep kiddos who take the test receive a SEES offer. I would highly recommend the school to anyone who wishes to best prepare their child to attend SEES for kindergarten.

• #11215 Reply
      SN-bound

Disney Magnet on Marine Drive has an academic-based preK program. Several students at Skinner North at various grade levels attended Disney Magnet for preK.  I’ve also heard several students at Skinner North came from Audubon’s preK program.

• #11248 Reply
      Chihei

JB do you have any resources for teaching kids yourself? My daughters Reggio preschool is fantastic and we love it, I agree about wanting that social emotional play development in school, but I want to help supplement for the test. She’s 3 now. Do you have any parent teaching resources?

• #11252 Reply
      JB

I was simply following two curriculums:

Reading: “The Reading Lesson”

Math: “Singapore Math: Essential Math Kindergarten”

My son had very short attention span (5 minutes ish). The progress before he was 4 was smooth but slow for me, frustrating at times. I persisted and was consistent, and kept the lessons short.

Little by little, you can really move a mountain. Prior to the test, his math was at 3rd grade level, he almost finished the “Magic Tree House” series books. Unlike with his older sister, we were clueless and nervous about the test back then. We were very confident with our son’s test. We knew he would get 99.9 on both math and reading. We didn’t prepare RGC test, but the result (148) indicates math and reading might indirectly helped too.

In our kids’ classical school, we knew a family got 3 kids in, and I’m sure they will get the 4th in easily. To me, the test reflects much more about parental effort than the kids themselves.

• #15016 Reply
      Abel

Singapore math has been great to really build interest in math. SAM Singapore Math center has been great for my kids. They are in Lincoln Park. http://Www.SamLincolnpark.com

Viewing 8 reply threads
Reply To: Reply #11211 in Learning center for SEES
Your information:

Cancel