Norwood Park 4
      Blaine 9
      Wildwood 23
      Audubon 28
      LaSalle 62
      Hawthorne 70
      LaSalle II 80

• #6757 Reply

Some helpful FAQs from CPSOAE regarding Magnet programs and waitlists: http://cps.edu/AccessAndEnrollment/Documents/FAQs_MagnetSchools_2018-2019.pdf

• #6777 Reply
      DJ

Applied for Pre-K – Tier 4

Drummond – 183
      Mayer – 6
      Suder – 46

• #6783 Reply
      westtownmom
      Participant

Applied for Kindergarten – Tier 4, Neighborhood school is Mitchell

Waitlist for all – no offers

Talcott – General – 9
      STEM – Tier 4 – 10
      Galileo – Tier 4 – 28
      Jackson A – Tier 4 – 79
      LaSalle II – proximity – 170
      Suder – General – 131

We are a block away from Mitchell, and are very happy to send her there. Any feedback about Talcott, STEM or Galileo? We would consider sending her there if it will be a better fit.

• #6927 Reply
        Sara

You’ll likely have a chance at STEM off the T4 wait list. we go there and are happy. Great academics. Great diversity. Safe.

• #6793 Reply
      IrvingParkThree
      Participant

Applied: Kindergarten

Disney I: 41 (Tier 3)
      LaSalle: 22 (Tier 3)

Anyone have an idea if either of these waitlists move historically. Sibling preference is really important for us. Thanks!

• #10927 Reply
        Suresh Kandeeban

Disney School: Curious on the waitlist movement at the school. Does anyone have any insights?

• #6796 Reply
      3xcps

IrvingParkThree- You *might* have a chance to get in to LaSalle. Their has been a drop in scores over the past 3 years. They also lost their level 1+rating. The principal was forced out by the parents. With that trifecta there could be several families not returning with younger children.

• #6799 Reply
      Sue

Can someone explain the categories a bit?

Galileo-3 (tier3)
      Southwest-4 (proximity)
      LaSalle 11-16 (tier 3)
      Skinner -861 :((

• #6842 Reply
      2XCPS

Applied: Kindergarten

Hawthorne: Offered
      Disney II: Tier 2- 8
      Alcott: Sibling -5
      All other schools above 200

I have heard years ago that Hawthorne is an excellent school and we are excited about having an offer, but their website isn’t very informative. The little that is there seems to be from summer of 2017 when the last principal left. Does anyone have any insights or knowledge about the school or it’s new principal/direction?

• #7308 Reply
        ParentOfThree

Hawthorne is a great school. I agree that our past year with an interim principal has left messaging unclear, but the quality of the school has not changed (the teachers are amazing!) and our incoming principal looks very good on paper, though I have not had the chance to interact with her beyond official communication yet.

Hawthorne has a history of consistent excellence across the past 3 principals, so I wouldn’t be *too* concerned with the principal turnover.

Feel free to ask any specific questions you have about the school and I will attempt to answer them.

• #9076 Reply
          JEL

Hello!

This question is to MomofThree about Hawthorne.  Do you have any idea how many first grades are offered spots? We’re in Tier 1.  Also – what is the estimated date of the playground being renovated? Thank you for any insight

• #9078 Reply
            ParentOfThree

Hi JEL!  I am actually a dad!

You can find more information about the playground at https://www.hawthorneplayground.org/ — I don’t have any insider insight beyond the publicly available materials, beyond knowing that some very dedicated parents and staff members are working on it.

Anecdotally there is not a lot of movement in 1st grade, but more for this year than other years until you get to middle school.  This is just based on talking with other parents, I don’t have concrete numbers.  You can also look up some small statistics about this for yourself.  ISBE publishes a “student mobility” statistic at https://www.illinoisreportcard.com/School.aspx?source=studentcharacteristics&source2=mobility&Schoolid=150162990252249 that suggests that about 1-2% of Hawthorne students transfer in or out a year, vs.  7-19% in a typical school.  With roughly 60 kids per grade level, that leaves about 0-2 spots opening up in a typical non-entry year per grade level.  Adjusting for 1st grade being slightly more common to transfer, I would haphazardly guess maybe 1-5 openings?

• #6901 Reply
      Gigi

Does anybody have any information about Disney gifted program? How is it compared to the classical schools? I know I shouldn’t even be doubting about accepting Decatur’s offer, but I want to have all the information before making a decision.

I would appreciate any insight!

• #6905 Reply
      3xcps

Would my child have a chance for Lincoln Elementary, 4th grade, being 20 on the waitlist? Or in the 30’s for 2nd grade?

• #6925 Reply
      WestRidgeMom

Hi guys – anyone know how much Solomon Elementary moves on wait list. Wondering if anyone has heard or knew anything about how much the numbers shift. Looking for non-entry year options. Thanks and good luck to everyone!

• #6928 Reply
      Sara

Tier 3 Kindergarten

STEM – offered [sibling]
      Jackson Language – offered [proximity]
      Lasalle – #12
      National Teachers Gifted – offered [by test]

Leaning RGC but very on the fence. We love STEM too. It’s between those two.

So we’ll be turning down some good ones – good luck those who are wait listed!

• #7931 Reply
        Dolphin

We just got an offer from STEM too! I don’t know much about the school. Can you tell me why you are choosing STEM over the other ones? Thank you!

• #6931 Reply
      WorryMuch

I realize i’m looking at a small sample size on this forum re: waitlist numbers, but I can’t help but wonder how we ended up being way down the list (high waitlist no.) for almost all that we’ve applied to.

It sounds like we have no chance to getting into any CPS schools at all this year and our neighborhood school is an absolute no.
      We are disappointed that we didn’t get any offers for SEEs we tested and to be waitlisted with such low chances to getting in is beyond frustrating. We are forced to move either in the next 4 months into burbs or continue to pay for private.

This is what we have:
      ALCOTT ES Waitlist General 226
      JACKSON A Waitlist Proximity 46
      LASALLE Waitlist Tier 3 187
      LASALLE II Waitlist Proximity 125
      LINCOLN Waitlist General 135
      OGDEN ES Waitlist General 219
      SKINNER Waitlist General 772

• #6932 Reply
      3xcps

Oh wow Sara! You struck gold! Congrats on all the great options.

• #6935 Reply
      Mira

I have a question for all those that received offers at Skinner North or West classical. Did your kids attend a daycare or stay at home and if daycare which one? Just curious on how you were able to prep your child to score in the high 90’s for these tests.

• #6938 Reply
      Dolphin

We applied to a bunch and these are the ones with the shortest waitlists.

Hawthorne Tier 4 – 6
      Andrew Jackson Tier 4 – 50
      STEM Tier 4 – 16
      Sheridan Tier 4 – 31
      Bell Tier 4 – 19

Looks like we might have a chance to get into Hawthorne and I heard it’s a pretty great school but it’s over 20 minute drive. Not sure if it’s worth the drive or if we should stick to something closer. Our other option is South Loop Elementary, which is our neighborhood school. Anyone have thoughts on any of these schools?

• #6943 Reply
        WorryMuch

Can’t speak to other schools you listed, but I’ve heard Andrew Jackson is great. We have family’s kids (siblings and cousins) who’s attended the school and have done really well and all got into Whitney Young or Walter Payton. Fairly diverse both race and socio-economically. Although, that was at least 3 years ago, so i’m not sure what it’s like today.

May i ask why you’re uncertain of attending South Loop?

• #6948 Reply
          Dolphin

Hi WorryMuch! Thank you for your reply! Honestly, I just googled “best CPS elementary schools” and applied to those. South Loop may very well be where we’ll end up and I’m perfectly fine with that! The one thing that I wasn’t crazy about is the class size seems overcrowded. Over 30+ kids and 1 teacher for Kindergarten. But I suppose most CPS are like that? This whole process is overwhelming and I just wanted to make sure I do my homework and see if there is a reason some of these other schools I keep hearing about (Hawthorne, Andrew Jackson, etc) are better than South Loop — or not!

• #7310 Reply
        ParentOfThree

The class sizes will be similar at Hawthorne. One difference is that Hawthorne, as a magnet school that can control its entering population a little better, will have very consistent class sizes and staffing, whereas you will see more fluctuation with a neighborhood school. You are likely to get into Hawthorne, but you might have to wait until very late to get the phone call as the lists move slow with most parents accepting. Friends of ours in the upper-single-digits tier 4 got notified in August that there was an opening.

We really like Hawthorne, but I also think you should consider your neighborhood school if it is strong. I don’t know much about South Loop other than having heard generally positive things about it, but having a school close to home and with other kids that live around you can make a big difference.

• #7402 Reply
          Dolphin

Thank you for your reply! It’s helpful to know how slowly the waiting list might move. I agree that being close to school is important too. We are touring South Loop School again to get a better feel for it. Starting next year, National Teachers Academy and South Loop will be merging and I am wondering how that will affect the classroom size as it’s already so overcrowded!

• #6941 Reply
      Newbie to this

Applied PreK
      Drummond – accepted
      Mayer – 187
      Suder – 22

Drummond is around 1.5 miles away so it’s possible we were tier 3 but not sure.

I’m just starting to learn about how this CPS system works now. Can someone tell me what’s the benefit of accepting this PreK position versus staying at a daycare that we love? My son is 3 and we’re have another that is 1.5 years old.

• #6945 Reply
        Sara

1) it’s free
        2) your kid can stay at Drummond however long you want him/her to [or you can go to your neighborhood school once the child is in K]
        3) a younger sibling gets in off the sibling lottery

• #6971 Reply
      LSparent

Applied for Kindergarten, no offers.

Best waitlist numbers:
      Stone: 12
      Audobon: 18
      Hawthorne: 114
      Pierce: 122
      Coonley: 125

Any thoughts on Stone or Audobon, as they look like the only two possibilities?

• #6985 Reply
        WestRidgeMom

Really think you have a great chance at Stone. It’s an excellent option – especially the upper grades. Congrats!

• #6986 Reply
        IrvingParkThree
        Participant

LSparent – FYI, there is an open house at Stone this Friday, May 4th at 3:30pm.

• #9908 Reply
          Yrys

we get offer from Stone , and accept it. We will go to kindergarten. Have you got any information about this school, i am interested how good is this school. Thank you

• #6993 Reply
      Budlong3
      Participant

Any chance of getting a call for a number 1 general waitlist 2nd grade spot at Audubon? Not sure how crowded it is, sibling preference backlogs, etc. Thanks!

• #7027 Reply
      S. R.

If anyone is on a Blaine waitlists, principal today at school tour said they haven’t taken a single student off the waitlist in her 5 years there.

• #7246 Reply
        dreamerdoer

That is sad but helpful. My son is #4 on the wait list. Oh well.

• #7029 Reply
      WPMomof3

I think I inadvertently started a new thread… I was hoping to get some info on sibling preference at magnet schools. Are there a min/max number accepted? Is it a percentage thing? Do the magnet pre-k programs work th same as k?

Basically, if we accept a slot at a Montessori program, how likely is it my younger two will get in? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

• #7687 Reply
        Nameless mom

I can only speak to Suder, but there has never been an issue with sibling admissions. There are families with 3-4 kids at the school.

However, the older sibling must remain at the school (you can’t have a kid leave for K at a gifted or classical school and have the younger sibling admitted to preK3 as a sibling).

• #7031 Reply
      LSmom

Sibling preference for younger siblings is close to guaranteed. The only way a younger sibling wouldn’t get a spot in the entry year of a program would be if there were more siblings than total spots available, and I’ve never heard of that happening.

• #7391 Reply
      Agnes

4th grade
      CANTY Waitlist 1
      NORWOOD PARK Waitlist 3
      ORIOLE PARK Waitlist 11
      THORP O Waitlist 28
      I was hoping to see at least one offer today.. but nothing.
      We are currently in Ebinger, looking for closer school plus Ebinger has been seriously overcrowded in grades 1-3 with 33-35 students in the classroom. CPS should not allow to pass 30 in classroom.

• #7412 Reply
      Brandon

Hello,

Kindergarten

Nettlehorst-8

Hawthorne-51

Any thoughts on if you guys think we will get an offer? I’m not sure how in demand Nettlehorst is. I thought #8 was really good, but now I’m not so sure.

• #7473 Reply
      Sue

Anyone have any insight on Galileo? We were offered to move up on the waitlist today. Only offer so far 🙁

• #7526 Reply
        CP

I went to the Galileo open house last October and took some notes:

– No music or foreign language is offered during the school day
        – There are 25 kids per class for grades K-3, with 1 class per grade
        – There are 2 computer labs
        – The upper grades take part in a coding program that includes working with robotics
        – Science classes are focused more on life sciences with less experiments
        – There are 2 science periods and 2 computer labs
        – The after school program is through the YMCA at Sheridan Park. Recess is also at Sheridan Park.
        – The school building is 125 years old (but has been updated)
        – There is an accelerated math track

After the open house, I heard that they have a Comprehensive Gifted Program, but I don’t have information on it unfortunately.

• #7527 Reply
          CP

One correction. There is more than 1 class per grade, but in talking with the principal that day, she mentioned that they get a lot of applicants for the open slots that they do have for K-3. And of course, siblings have preference. Anyway, I hope this helps.

• #7778 Reply
        Little Italy Mom

With respect to the other reply. The after school program in school is run by the YMCA. Sheridan Park is a separate program. Also, when we toured they had baby chicks in the lab. The lab was very impressive. They also have orchestra run by Merit.

• #7779 Reply
          Little Italy Mom

Oh, and the gifted program is being phased out for differentiated learning…

• #8358 Reply
        WorryMuch

What does it mean to be offered to move up in the waitlist?

• #7513 Reply
      Mark

Have a good problem – we’ve got lottery seats at both Peirce and and Pritzker. Like peirce on the tour, didn’t tour Pritzker because we were on the waitlist. Which should we take?

• #7532 Reply
      WPMomof3

Anyone with experience on how Agassiz moves through the lottery? Our lottery prospects are pretty terrible. I was combing through old CPSObsessed posts and someone indicated they were offered a spot despite a high number.

• #7883 Reply
      Newbie to this

I noticed that when I log into the GoCPS site to look at our waitlist numbers, they have gone down from 187 to 180 on one school and 22 to 20 on another. Do these numbers change with each round?

• #7905 Reply
        JLH

When I called the front desk of the school last Friday I was told we were higher up on the waitlist then what our revised waitlist position was on GoCPS today.

So I’m not sure how in sync it is, but it’s interesting to see things move.

• #7903 Reply
      ES

not sure how often they update the numbers, but thank you for posting this – I noticed our numbers on the wait lists have all changed, too.

• #7932 Reply
      Rebecca

We are looking at Hamilton and Prescott. Any thoughts?

• #8170 Reply
      Prekmom

Anyone on PreK 3 waitlists for Drummond, Suder or Mayer getting calls or know how far the lists have moved?

• #8212 Reply
        WPMomof3

I can’t speak to Suder, but I know the past two years there has been very limited movement (fewer than a handful of spots) for pre-k 3 at either Mayer or Drummond.

• #8573 Reply
          xyz

There was a lot of movement in third grade last year at Drummond and a great deal of movement in the post pre-k elementary program the year before.

• #8310 Reply
      S. R.

Inspector general just issued a report on Mayer preschool program. No spots given to anyone outside the neighborhood for some years now.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/education/cps-ig-guaranteed-free-preschool-perk-inside-richest-school-boundary-must-end/

• #8567 Reply
      3xcps

I haven’t seen our numbers move at all on the online portal. Has anyone seen any movement on theirs?

• #8596 Reply
        Dolphin

We had movement near the end of may but not ever since.

• #8577 Reply
      IrvingParkThree
      Participant

3xcps – We haven’t seen any movement either. Although we recently received a call from CICS Irving Park and opted to decline a Kindergarten spot. Hope that helps someone.

• #8626 Reply
        3xcps

You would think it would be easier to share how things are moving since it is all computerized.

• #8690 Reply
      moving?

Does anyone know if moving after being accepted into one of these Pre-k magnet schools is ok? We are thinking about moving closer to the school than we already are. Currently within 1.5 miles already and looking to move within blocks.

Thanks!

• #8704 Reply
        Nameless mom

It’s a magnet school. So long as you live within the city of Chicago, you should be fine.

• #8917 Reply
      3xcps

Where’s everyone at? Who has gotten offers? Wait list numbers? Has anyone heard from Burr for Kindergarten?

• #8918 Reply
      3xcps

What about Alcott movement in the incoming 4th grade? Or Lincoln?

• #8919 Reply
      Momof3

What are my sons odds 5th grader Lasalle Language #4. Is it a great school? Is it worth a big commute? What about Disney 25 for 1st does waitlist move? I know for Kindergarden they had 5 classes last year. Thanks in advance

• #9016 Reply
      bbsparents

Does living with 1.5 miles of Disney Elementary guarantee a spot? Or just that you’re in a lottery for 40% of spots after siblings but before the tier lottery? Thanks.

• #9018 Reply

It’s the latter: An entry year student (Kindergarten for Disney) living within 1.5 miles (proximity range) of the school is eligible for the proximity lottery for that entry year only. No guarantee of a spot but puts them in a pool for 40% of Kindergarten seats still open after siblings are slotted. Rising Kindergarten siblings are guaranteed a spot only if there are fewer siblings than spaces available in that entry year.

• #9053 Reply
        bbsparents

thanks for the reply!
        I wish we had a sense of what the odds are of getting in through the in-boundary lottery. We’re thinking of moving over that way (though honestly Belding seems fine).

• #9057 Reply
          LSmom

Do you mean Disney 1 or 2? Odds of getting in Disney 2 from the neighborhood are incredibly low. Very few spots, and no movement on the wait list at all.  I hear good things about Belding though.  For Disney 1, families in proximity have a very good shot.

• #9058 Reply
            bbsparents

thanks for the response! we are possibly moving to the Disney II area but are comfortable with Belding.

• #9066 Reply
      mindshaper1
      Participant

Does anybody know if the waitlists for kindergarten are moving at all at Thorp? For now, still no calls….but still hoping!

• #9070 Reply
      Momof3

What do you all know about Lasalle Language?

• #9087 Reply
      WPMomof3

Any movement anywhere? Was hoping for a magnet this year but maybe next year.

• #9088 Reply
      srebolledo
      Participant

We got an offer for LaSalle II last Friday. We were number 16 on the waitlist!

• #9090 Reply
      3xcps

Logged in to my go.cps account and my waitlist numbers have been updated.

• #9091 Reply
      WorryMuch

Waitlist finally updated, but no call yet.

Anyone know much about Andrew Jackson Language Academy?  I have heard good things, but this was at least 4 years ago before the new principal.  Based on online reviews, it seems that the school has gone downhill.  Anyone else know anything about AJLA in recent years?

• #9115 Reply
      BTAQ

Updating so others have this data going forward:

LaSalle Language –  WL #3, proximity; Offered; Accepted;

Galileo – WL  T3 #43; Offered; Declined;

Newberry- proximity; Offered; Declined;

Franklin – WL proximity #23; Offered today; Declined; and

Neighborhood school is Ogden.

• #9180 Reply
      newbietocps

We just got an offer for Suder for PreK3. We were originally waitlisted #22 and it now says #15 but still got an offer. We just declined as my son was already accepted to Drummond.

Viewing 48 reply threads
Reply To: Reply #7526 in Spring 2018 Lottery results
Your information:

Cancel