Pandemic and remote learning your plans?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      jazzman

Will you send your child to school if the pandemic trends starts increase and how will you handle remote learning?

• #11479 Reply
      skk

I don’t even know what to do

#1) I don’t think CTU will allow in person learning with the number trends as they are.  I understand their position but at the same time, as a parent I was very disappointed at last year and I remain concerned about the detriments caused to the kids by lack of in person instructional offerings.

#2)Remote learning was awful, at least in our schools.  CPS did not even begin to meet their supposed requirement of 2 hours of facetime per day.  We got 3 hours per week with spotty zoom meetings and one teacher reading our kid a book for 3 session per week.  While I appreciated the effort – I could have read her a book.  Where was the teaching?  In my other child’s class, only a math lesson for the lower group was offered 2x per week and he was in the upper group. No ELA.  No science.  We go to pretty good CPS schools and if this was all they could muster it makes me think that many CPS teachers were overwhelmed with it, unprepared, untrained, or lacking the time because they had other commitments that were more important.

#3) If they do try for some kind of part time thing, I do not have confidence in CPS to keep cleanliness and safety protocols in place based upon what I have experience the last few years in CPS.  We have gotten sick very often from attending CPS – bathrooms and eating and passing periods concern me the most.

#4) aftercare won’t likely be offered I am guessing

#5) Covid is a serious thing, it’s a dangerous thing that people shouldn’t take lightly.

Given this situation, I feel as a parent I am between a rock and a hard place.  We plan to complete the Elearning work and stay enrolled, but I feel the need to find other options for my kids to pass their time while we are working.  We are allowed to work from home for some period of time.  I feel for those families who are not, given the above ‘options’ that may be given to Chicago families.

• #11503 Reply
      Wilhamena

If any of you are anything like me, I was wondering how are we going to get all the CPS homework completed since we have two hard working parents who don’t have time to supervise our two SEES enrolled kids all day? I am worried about them falling behind academically and socially.  So I did some research and found that Montessori Gifted Prep is rolling out a microschool to help parents like us. They will have an info session on Tuesday, Aug 11. Thought this might help some of you. Good luck finding solutions through all of this mess.

• #11505 Reply
      jazzman

Yeah I saw this coming thats why I posted this question. Yes it will be difficult and there will be some that will fall behind. We plan on spending some more money on tutoring ( not cheap) and helping my son who starts at a academic center. This is all new terrain for everybody best of luck to everyone.

• #11507 Reply
        mom
        Participant

@JazzMan, My son will be starting AC this year, and we’re concerned with remote option. What tutoring options are available for incoming AC students?

• #11518 Reply
      jazzman

Congrats on your child starting at a AC what is your drink of choice?   We now also will be going AC good luck to all of us. We will use a private tutor and khan academy which is a fantastic tool wish I had it when I was a child. We still also check over homework and see his writing. We have been working on algebra and biology this summer. So have to dust off our academic skills as well and struggle with him.

• #11523 Reply
      mary

Hello, my daughter wasn’t able to do her last nwea test like most students. Becuase she was in 7th grade and she needs those scores for her selective enrollment application. How will that work?

• #11551 Reply

CPS just released their NWEA MAP plan for rising 8th graders as they navigate the process for HS 2021-2022.

https://go.cps.edu/nweamap

“To determine eligibility for students applying for high school admission for the 2021-2022 school year, CPS will consider students’ highest NWEA MAP scores from any of the following prior administrations:

• Spring 2019 (2018-2019 school year)
        • Fall 2019 (2019-2020 school year)
        • Winter 2019 (2019-2020 school year)”

There are provisions for non-CPS students who still need to take NWEA in October, and rumors of options for students who want to retake it in Winter 2020. Check it out and stay tuned.

• #11556 Reply
      yeet

If I was to get 97th percentile in reading, 99 in math in Spring 2019, and got 99th percentile reading, and 97th in Math of Winter 2019. Would I get 99th percentile on both reading and math, or just 97, 99?

• #11802 Reply
        BookEater

They would use your highest score, so 99 percentile on both. Congrats!

Viewing 6 reply threads
Reply To: Reply #11507 in Pandemic and remote learning your plans?
Your information:

Cancel