Principal Discretion Letter

Home Forums CPS High Schools Selective Enrollment High Schools (SEHS) Principal Discretion Letter

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • Author
      JesseNWTutor
      Participant

Several questions; I read that the students should be within the ballpark of the “mean accepted” score to have a real chance at getting in using Principal Discretion Letter(PDL). So what exactly is the “mean accepted”? I’m aware of the published cut-off scores but there is a tier 4 mean and rank mean. Also – what does in the ballpark mean.. 🙂 .. very arbitrary term.

Does anyone have experience with PDL? If you received an offer using this can you share your score/900 and the cut off score for the school applied to at the time. Just want to get an idea of the probability of success so I can manage expectations. Our student scored 894 and also scored a 300 on this years test. I think I could really help him make a good argument for a PDL but don’t want to waste the time if it’s unreasonable.

• #10671 Reply
      8thGradeMom

Based on your score you must be talking Payton. Remember in tier 4, even though the minimum was 895, there are most likely many kids who got an 895 but still didn’t get in (who also had a 300 in the entrance exam). They then use the tie breaker using the SE test sections.

I know nothing though about the PDL.

Good Luck!

• #10675 Reply
      Onward

You might try looking at the old CPSObsessed website. It is still live and they have several discussions on principal discretion.  My understanding of PD is that it’s not necessarily about the test scores but rather whether the student has a exception talent, overcame hardship, demonstrates leadership/social service etc.  Test scores are only one part of the application.

• #10702 Reply
      Melissa Y

Any updates on principal discretion packets?  I have contacted Office of Access and Enrollment, but have not heard back.

• #10715 Reply
      8thGradeDad

Anybody hear anything new on Principal Discretion Timeline?

• #10716 Reply
      Melissa Y

Office of Access and Enrollment sent me a note that they were revising the guidelines and would release shortly.

• #10718 Reply
      Jessenwtutor

Are you folks seeking a timeline or guidelines? The guidelines for the PD will be the same as all last years.

1. Personal essay – play up hardship if it applies

2. 3 letters of recommendation

3. Any awards/achievements (this includes sports). Some schools basically just select Athletes ( ie. Whitney)

I wish everyone luck! To bring this down to earth though. If you have a 292-295, come from a joe blow background, and are trying to get to Payton, you have a very (very low chance). Gov Rauner’s kids got into Payton in PD to give you an idea of who they are using those 10-15 seats for.

• #10725 Reply
      nervous student

Does anyone know if the admissions officers get to see your tier? Got an 815 which is low compared to tier 4 kids but high when you look at my tier. Also any idea of how competitive the seats are? How high PD admission scores are, how much the achievements matter etcetera.

• #14297 Reply
        Jones

Yes, they do.  They know where you come from.  There is a push at Jones from the staff for those PD seats to be used to add more black and brown kids.  Currently, many of those seats are used for siblings who didn’t quite make it.

• #10726 Reply
      momof1fish

my child was able to get into his HS via principal discretion. His score was horrible but he made a great case for himself.  it was definitely nail-biting for weeks…

• #11987 Reply
        Steve

Hello,

I am a student within CPS who is attempting to get into an HS via PD.

Are there any tips your child can pass over I want to put my best into the application? I have average grades (C – B)

Thank You.

• #11998 Reply
          Amy Jankowski

I don’t have any tips, but my suggestion would to get your grades up to A’s.  They’re not bad, but grades are worth 450 points now and are very important.  See what you can do.  Good luck!

• #10727 Reply
      nervous student

Would you mind sharing what criteria they applied under? I’m really torn about what to write.

• #10732 Reply
      8thGradeDad

FYI – Principal Discretion timeline was released yesterday.  Good luck everyone!

• #11295 Reply
      Raquel Vannucci

I was wondering if anyone had a result of principal discretion yet.

• #11296 Reply
      Raquel Vannucci

Hi! Have you heard about the results yet?

• #11298 Reply
      NCMom

Several of my kid’s friends heard positive news about PD from Lane and Jones yesterday.

• #12406 Reply
      Wendell

Anyone doing PD this year?

• #12409 Reply
        Prasanna Ghimire

Yes, I am applying to Lane Tech.

• #12432 Reply
      Wendell

Nice, my son is applying to Jones through PD. Do you know when they release the results? On goCPS it says the week of the 14th (next week) but do you have any idea on the exact date/time?

• #12463 Reply
      CPSparent

Has anyone heard back from any PD results? I am aware they were supposed to come out today, however, I am not too sure about the time.

• #12467 Reply
        Wendell

Did it come out today?

• #12468 Reply
      CPSparent

I did not receive the results today. We will keep checking

• #12469 Reply
        Wendell

What school did you apply for?

• #12484 Reply
          CPSparent

We applied to Payton, have not heard anything yet

• #12471 Reply
      Prasanna Ghimire

Anyone receive the results yet?

• #12479 Reply
      Sam

We applied for Jones and got an email at 3:37pm today saying that an offer was extended.

However, we are unable to see it in go.cps web site. I hope this is a temporary issue on the go.cps web site.

• #12486 Reply
      WCparent

For students that received a Principal Discretion letter, the Go CPS website will show the offer starting tomorrow at 9 a.m.

Your offer will appear in your GoCPS account beginning at 9 am on FRIDAY, June 18th.”

I believe PD offers were emailed directly from CPS for all/most SEHS schools (LT, WY, WP, Jones, etc.) yesterday.

• #12491 Reply
      Prasanna Ghimire

Sadly I wasn’t able to get to Lane, will try transferring next year. Congratulations to everyone else!

• #13608 Reply
      Jenny

hi

my daughter needs help on the essay for principle discretion.  Her skill is music/band (flute/ piano), swimming team,  math competition city wide 4th place for the team school and 8th place over all and spelling bee 3rd place in school. We don’t know how to start the essay. Any help really appreciate. thanks

• #15665 Reply
      unknown

Hello, can anyone give some tips on what they wrote for their principal discretion letter? I currently got offered into Gwendolyn Brooks High school but I am looking to get into Whitney Young with principal discretion, so any tips would help. Thank you.

• #15693 Reply
      Ben

Agreed – any tips or pointers from people who had been successful in the past would be very helpful.

• #15778 Reply
      Nate

Hello, everyone! I hope anyone could give me some guidance. I’m a 14 year who just wants a better future. I’m low income due to my father getting injured and being forced to retire early. My parents have always told me that only with an education I can open doors, life has been hard but I’m grateful. I work very hard to get all A’s and 1 high B, but unfortunately, it’s not enough to get into a good high school. I am on many waiting lists for many of the schools. I will like to complete the Principal discretion package, I don’t have  a printer and will need guidance. I reached out to my case manager at school. As a young teen education is very important. Many schools are lacking quality education, and many of us are left to fight for spots.  I  have limited resources, but I have faith that someone reading this may be inspired to make the changes in the future to help young students like me. May you all have a great day, just remember tomorrow will be a better one.

Nate

• #15779 Reply
        Yumiko

I believe you don’t need a printer to submit the Principal Discretion package. Just log in with your parent’s GoCPS account, go to the place where you can see results for high school, and then press on the “request application for principal discretion” option and you can go from there. All you need is the documentation (personal statement, awards, LOR’s) online. You should also check out the PD Handbook on the GoCPS website. Hope this helps and I wish everything works out well!

• #15789 Reply
        CPs staff

If you aren’t bright enough to know how to use a lo array, maybe Selective Enrollment schools are not for you

• #15791 Reply
          quantcps

Do you really think you contributed in a positive/meaningful way to the “dialog” those two were having?

I understand this is a stressful, high stakes situation, but we are all good intentional here so maybe you should leave your rudeness in the cave you crawled from?

• #15792 Reply
          cpsgo

To CPs staff: Nice job picking on a kid asking for advice above. Perhaps you are not the bright one here, your sentence doesn’t make sentence

• #15795 Reply
          Yumiko

Ur mad goofy dude

• #15793 Reply
        quantcps

Nate, if you are still struggling with this issue, ask for help from school counselor/teachers/school admins/CPS officials.

I  am sorry I can’t be of more help.

• #15783 Reply
      Cece

You don’t need a printer for this application process, you just need a word processor like Word or Pages to write the 1000 word essay about yourself. And make sure to get some recommendations from teachers that know you really well and your academic strengths.

Here is the principal discretion handbook:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EAHcwmBjwFd5jQvivrbuu59tdVRgEsCC/view?usp=drivesdk

Make sure to read through this in its entirety. It tells you everything you need to do for this process. You should choose Extenuating Circumstances as your application criteria.

You have already began your journey to making the best decisions for yourself. I hope and pray everything works out.

I really hope this helps, and God bless you 🙂

Viewing 26 reply threads
Reply To: Reply #10716 in Principal Discretion Letter
Your information:

Cancel