SEHS Exam

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      HopefulDave

My kid just took the SEHS exam this weekend:

Total 3.5 hours

4 sections:

1) Reading Comprehension – 40 question (40 minutes): 6 passages with a mix of persuasive, informative, narrative and descriptive

2) Language Arts – 54 questions (40 minutes): standard middle school stuff

3) Math – 40 questions (40 minutes): mostly algebra 1, mixed with a little geometry and some basic algebra 2

4) Vocab – 40 questions (15 minutes): finding most similar meaning word of a term that was used in a sentence for context.

NO experimental section. Used fill-in bubble sheets. Can not go back to finish previous sections. They will mark unanswered question to prevent this.

Hope this helps anyone interested

• #9234 Reply
      CPS or Bust
      Participant

Hi HopefulDave,

What was the more difficult concepts for math, if you care to share? thanks.

• #9235 Reply
      CPS or Bust
      Participant

Also, what is this “experimental section?”

• #9298 Reply
      CpsParent

I was on the GoCps website, and it says that results will be released on March 30th, but in the email I received it says that it will be announced on the 29th sometime between 5 and 11:59 pm, what should I believe?

• #9299 Reply
        HainesMom

I see the confusion there.

The pop up message says March 29th. I would believe that they would release this info on Friday the 29th, not on Sat.

About a week away now!

• #10173 Reply
      Cps student

Does anyone have any tip or knows a text book that they studied from for the exam

• #10176 Reply
      cpsnew

How do you register for SEHS exam? I don’t see it as an option the application where grades and NWEA MAP scores are listed.

Thank you.

• #10177 Reply
      CPSDad

I believe you had to finish the application and then register.  We can’t finish the application because we’re still not sure about ranking the programs so we’ll wait until we do the open houses.

• #10179 Reply
        Cps student

If you don’t finish your application quickly you would find a good date to take the test

• #10180 Reply
      cpsnew

You can change your ranking until Dec 6th!

• #10181 Reply
      CPSfirst

How can I gauge how well my daughter might do on this test? She got her MAP results ….  Are the scores similar or higher in most students, statistically?

• #10230 Reply
        Hamfam

You can re-rank your school choices until Feb 3! (Possibly Feb 10 now).

• #10203 Reply
      CPSfirst

Also, another question.  How much spelling is on the test?  My daughter has a real spelling issue.  And is any of the test written in or all multiple choice?   Thanks!!

• #10222 Reply
      Marty

that’s 2hrs 25 mins in total , so what is the rest of the time used for as exam 3.5 hours long ?

• #11446 Reply
      jjenny
      Participant

How do students study for the SEHS entrance exam? I’m looking for textbooks that have similar questions/subjects.

• #11920 Reply
      Amy Jankowski

Hi I am a 7th grader looking for workbooks to help me study.  Any suggestions?

• #11933 Reply
        Bryan

I would recommend getting hooked up w/ Chicago Teen Mentors.  They can help w/ free tutoring for both Reading and Math. Their program helped my daughter immensely when she was a 7th grader last year.

• #11985 Reply
      Amy Jankowski

I am currently studying on a HSPT workbook for the SEHS exam.  How effective is this?  How similar are the two tests?

• #12354 Reply
      Tutor

I’m a test prep tutor and my student who got into Payton this year practiced from the HSPT workbook as well, so it was effective. But he did need to learn the test strategies from an expert test prep tutor, practice a lot, and gain the confidence to do well.

Viewing 14 reply threads
Reply To: Reply #9234 in SEHS Exam
Your information:

Cancel