SEHS vs Private Vs Suburban

Home Forums CPS High Schools Selective Enrollment High Schools (SEHS) SEHS vs Private Vs Suburban

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      dmac27
      Participant

If money or commute was a none factor, and you had the choice to send your child to a selective enrolment like (Jones, Whitney, Payton, Lane, Northside ) a Private Catholic school (Fenwick, St Ignatius, Loyal, Nazareth, Trinity(all girls))  or a local suburban school (Evanston, Oak Park River Forrest) which would you choose and why? Which would you least recommend? Also of the list above which would, you choose for your kid?

• This topic was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by dmac27.
    • #11708 Reply
      jazzman

That is a tough call because cost and distance does play a huge role . I will try we did attend Trinity great education but the commute was tough she caught the school bus early 6:30 am about 45min ride. After school activities alot of travel and miles. The IB education she received was fantastic although very challenging but it has paid off in college. There was a extra fee for IB and the exams on top of the tuition. The thing about the private school is that you get more sense of community than most public schools. However I consider the selective schools sort like ” public-private” because of the “buy in” effect  test scores vs just the economic piece ( tuition ).  I think the public school teachers are more qualified in most cases especially at the selective enrollment schools. You tend to get more turn over in the private school settings because teachers are not as well paid as the public school teachers.  I think in the private school setting the parents can push for change easier than in public school due to its size and the board of education that has its pluses and minuses.  Regardless of which way you choose to still have to advocate and be involved at the school because your child doesnt just go to school X but so do you.

• #11710 Reply
        dmac27
        Participant

Thanks for your reply Jazzman I had some girls from my college who went to trinity and they all seemed really prepared with a great head on their shoulders. I don’t know much about the school but comparing outcomes of college my classmates and friends who went to Trinity vs OPRF I would say by far the trinity girls were more prepared for college. I’ve also seen studies that females do much better in all-girl environments vs co-ed.

• #11711 Reply
      jazzman

The all girls school does have some advantages vs co-ed but eventually they will have to deal with the co-ed system. I am hoping that trinity will offer more computer science or programming not trying to turn it into a STEM school but it is needed I like the IB and liberal arts education it has served her extremely well. She is majoring in Data Science and public health. She had friends who went the selective school route and they are doing great as well. I strongly believe how they perform in  school(s) is bigger reflection on home life and goals and standards set from home in most cases.

• #11717 Reply
      Eric

Without hesitation, I would choose a Catholic high school.  Between the incessant strikes and hiding under mattresses,  current students at CPS have been at home more than they have been at school.  Catholic high schools have made clear that they are prioritizing kids and they value in-person education.  No unions.   I repeat, no unions.  Kids are first, not political donations.  I feel bad for those who worked so hard to get into Payton, NSCP, and Jones, only to be going to what is effectively Khan Academy.

• #11720 Reply
      jazzman

Really Eric??!! Hiding under mattresses and union bashing ? The catholic schools care about tuition dont have that money and see how much they care about in-person school. And catholic schools or church doesnt do political donations LOL PLEASE. I have had experiece both ways those at Selective schools will still do great. Are you a teacher ???

• #11782 Reply
      SE Mom

I have 2 kids in selective enrollment, one in  one of the high schools mentioned and one in a classical school.   I would probably choose private school in this situation, but probably one that isn’t all-girls. I probably prefer the selective enrollment high school my child attends for academics, I too feel the public school teachers are probably the best prepared. But I think the part that is missing is the connections made in a private school setting. I don’t think I  would consider a suburban school unless both selective and private were not an option. Like Eric, I too am also starting to feel reticent about CPS, the new bill the was recently passed giving the CTU more power, and the recent “all or nothing” approach they have taken. It worries me to think of the next 10 years and what that might bring in terms of strikes.

Viewing 5 reply threads
Reply To: Reply #11720 in SEHS vs Private Vs Suburban
Your information:

Cancel