Selective enrollment process

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      AJ

My 4th grader scored high enough for some of the RGCs but not all. I found out there’s a spot open at our first choice. Does OAE have a list of kids in order of scores and rankings? I called, but the employee simply said she wasn’t accepted. I thought they kept offering until the spots were filled. Thanks for any information!

• #9137 Reply

Supposedly spots are offered until at least the 20th day of school (around now) but it may even go beyond that.  It might be worth calling both CPSOAE and the school just to politely inquire as to the policy, at the very least.

• #9150 Reply
      chgomom

My 4th grader recently took the NWEA MAP test and these are her results:

NWEA MAP Math Percentile: 93%
      NWEA MAP Reading Percentile: 93%
      NWEA MAP Combo: 186
      Grade Reading: Missing
      Grade Math: Missing

We are Tier 4.

I honestly don’t know what this means. I had her take the test to see how she’d do and to see if it might be worth moving her from her private school. Can anyone provide some insight into how she would fare in the SEES application process? I’m thinking her scores aren’t high enough.

• #9151 Reply

Were these the scores from her CPS-administered test in September?  These are very good scores, but for those testing into Gifted & Classical programs for 5th grade, the NWEA MAP test is only required to determine “eligibility” to take the test.  (See below).  Once they are “eligible” to take the Classical & Gifted tests, they will then sit for the entrance exam(s) down at IIT and their score on those tests will determine if they get in to their desired program.  For 5th grade, one is testing for any “attrition spots”, which means you may not hear until later in the summer if you are applying for a non-entry year since a student may not notify a school they are leaving a program until the end of a school year.

From https://cps.edu/AccessAndEnrollment/Pages/SEES.aspx

“Grades 5-8: Testing eligibility for students applying for grades 5-8 (except for the RGC-ELs) will be based on the student’s NWEA MAP scores in reading and math.

Students with an IEP applying for grades 5-8 must score at or above the 50th percentile in one subject (reading or math), and at or above the 40th percentile in the other subject (reading or math) in order to be eligible for testing.

Regional Gifted Centers

In order to be eligible for testing, general education students and students with a 504 Plan applying for grades 5-8 must score at or above the 60th percentile in both reading and math.

Classical Schools

In order to be eligible for testing, general education students and students with a 504 Plan applying for grades 5-8 must score at or above the 60th percentile in both reading and math.”

• #9157 Reply
      chgomom

Thanks, chicagoschooloptions! I just got an email from GoCPS about RSVPing for the gifted tests, which prompted me to check here and see if anyone had replied. I scheduled the gifted test for her, but my question was more along the lines of — is it even worth it to have her take the gifted exam when her MAP scores are both at 93%? It sounds like it’s worth it to give it a shot? Thank you so much for explaining all of this!

• #9228 Reply
      Cg

so my brother missed the  NWEA MAP testing this past weekend. My mother received the letter with date and times on Saturday. The first testing was saturday and he missed it for bot receiving the letter on time. There was no postage date on the envelope. We emailed and called. And today a lady we spike to said there is nothing we could do. Is there any way he can test now???

• #9230 Reply

So sorry to hear about the missed NWEA exam.  Did calling and emailing GoCPS yield any more responses?  CPS usually does robocalls and emails for reminders, not just the letter.  Did you receive any of those?  Unfortunately we have not heard of them budging for missed exams but please report back if you had any success.

• #9243 Reply
      hopingfor2

hi

for those who got an offer entering K, can you please share how long your kiddo was tested? mine was with the tester for only 30 minutes and wonder our chance….

thanks

• #9252 Reply
        Jenny

It takes between 10-45 minutes. That’s what I observed from watching about 15 kids while I waited. No idea what they asked.

• #9253 Reply
          Hopefulmom

Is it an adaptive test?

• #9244 Reply
      hopefulmom
      Participant

Does anyone know how long you have to accept an offer once it is made?

• #9382 Reply
        Skb

I believe it is 1-2 weeks.  The website will say once offers are given.  However that is first round.  Later rounds, if you get called individually for a wait list spot it is 24-48 hours.

• #9245 Reply

For the first round, typically it is about 2 weeks, which gives families time to visit schools prior to making a decision.  When waitlists start to move, CPS said they only give 48 hours and come the end of summer, it reduces to 2 hours or less.

• #9246 Reply
      PRP

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if your kid took selective testing at the beginning of Nov and didn’t receive scores back does this mean the score were low I had a friend who went  a week before me and she has her scores and passing scores at that.

• #9250 Reply
      hopingfor2

Hi, for those who tested in the CPS selective for kindergarten, how long your kids were with the tester? Mine was in there for only 30 minutes….

• #9381 Reply
        Skb

When my daughter got accepted to K she was in the test for 40”.  When my son did not he was in for 20” (he was slightly below cutoff score).  but of course it depends on the kid too and how fast they answer.

• #10309 Reply
        Chicago Born

Great question on test time.  How is everyone measuring test time start and finish? i.e. start from the time the child’s name is called, or when you can no longer see them when they walk off with proctor,  or the time of your scheduled test?

• #10248 Reply
      Junko Kajino

Hi My daughter 5 years old, just tested for Kindergarten. She was there for bit over 45 minutes. She told me all the test content in detail, but the hard one she described was “long sentences”. I asked ” “Long words?”, she says, “No, It was long sentences!! with many words in it!” And pointed out the book’s one long sentence. Does anyone’s kids got the questions like that? I am very curious…

• #10268 Reply
        ES

It’s amazing your child was able to recall the content in detail. Usually, it is hard to get anything about the test out of kids

• #10308 Reply
      Chicago Born

Great question on test time.  How is everyone measuring test time start and finish? i.e. start from the time the child’s name is called, or when you can no longer see them when they walk off with proctor,  or the time of your scheduled test?

• #10320 Reply
      lincolnparkmom

my son was 4 years and 5 months on the day of testing. he was with the examiner for 49 minutes (from the time he left to when i saw him coming out).

how does the time spent impact the final outcome? can anyone please share their experiences or hear say?

good luck everyone…

Viewing 13 reply threads
Reply To: Reply #9150 in Selective enrollment process
Your information:

Cancel