Skinner classical

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      2mom2015

We accepted a kindergarten skinner west classical offer.  Any ideas for a timeline when we should hear from them regarding parent information/forms for new students?    The magnet we were offered had already emailed us – we declined Galileo.

Also any feedback or advice for a new family at skinner west is appreciated!  We are considering utilizing an AM bus for our 5 year old – but seems a little daunting not knowing what happens at the other end when they arrive at school.

Ty everyone for your time!

• #12395 Reply
      Chicago Born

Last year I  know from another family,  Skinner West was late with contacting new students. Good luck

• #12398 Reply
        2mom2015

Ty!   That’s a bit what I was thinking would happen. 🙂   I appreciate confirmation.  Good luck to you too!

• #12396 Reply
      CPS21

Got an offer at SW for 7th grade classical any feedback? Also what’s the earliest one can drop off at the school?

• #12397 Reply
        2mom2015

We asked this question too for kindergarten drop time.  We were told due to covid this year the drop times were assigned – kindergarten was 8:45am.   Not sure about others.   That said – they told us usually is 8AM at the earliest for all grades.   But they do not know yet for Fall what covid protocols will be in place.

• #12400 Reply
          CPS21

Thanks, just frustrating for working parents. We are just trying to figure out timing.

• #12402 Reply
            2mom2015

We are considering utilizing a cps bus, in case they do not have the 8am drop for everyone in Fall.  You have to be within a certain range 1.5 to 6?/8? Miles from skinner.   From what I read online – it seems it works well after the first 1-2 weeks – something about getting the route established.  The deadline per cps website to apply for a bus is June 20 – if you want a stop for the first day.  And it seems you can decline service at any time and you can arrange for before or after school or both.

• #12399 Reply
      Mm mom

We accepted skinner classical as well! It is kind of nuts how little information is out there. Any feedback on experiences, teachers, curriculum would be appreciated 🙂

• #12401 Reply
        2mom2015

Awesome! Congrats!  I know it was a relief for us (in some ways) to see the offer from Skinner.  I get the feeling we will be waiting awhile for more information directly from them – although some other posters on here seem to be in the same boat (Decatur families).  🙂

• #12404 Reply
      Aparajita Das

Looking for more info on skinner west kindergarten classical program. I am still debating if want to accept the offer.

• #12517 Reply
      Skinner mom

I have been a Skinner mom for many years. Happy to answer any questions. I believe registration is open on their website.

• #12667 Reply
        2mom2015

Skinnermom – Do you happen to know anything regarding start and end times for 2021?   I know the classical kindergarten for last year had assigned start at 8:45am due to covid.   The website still states early drop at 8am.  Ty!!

• #12531 Reply
      CPS2021

Has there been any communication from SW for those who accepted? I haven’t received anything.

• #12562 Reply
      NJmom

We also excepted offer to Skinner West Classical (Kindergarten) and haven’t received anything from them yet. I’ve heard many great things about SW, but one downside would be how late they send out information/announcements throughout the year. I’ll let you know when I hear from them.

• #12566 Reply
      2mom2015

We haven’t heard anything but did register through the link on the skinner website as recommended by Skinner Mom.  🙂

• #12672 Reply
      Maryan Mohamed

Hi all,

Apologies if this question has been asked in other forums but i’m so lost and wondering if someone can help me?

I have a 3 year old turning 4 April 27th. I am on a waitlist for skinner preschool but not in the skinner zone (we literally are a block out of the cut off).

Does she have to test for preschool if a spot opens up?

How much prep did you guys do for K testing? I have no idea how to prep her for this test simply because I don’t know what they test.

Thanks in advance.

M

• #12673 Reply
        CPSmomof1

I have not heard of testing for admission into prek. As to prepping for k, I am not sure that anyone knows what is on the test. We were not sure we were going to apply to sees. We did not decide to do so until about 3 months before the test, so there was no prep, but my child still got into our number 1 choice (Bronzeville). Since the test has no bubbling in, I do not know how one could even prep their child for the test. We always had a routine at night where we would practice our numbers and letters, but we made it a fun game. We based it off of what our child was already comfortable with and what I thought we could teach in small bites. Since our child was starting to read, we focused on teaching phonics and working on patterns and addition and subtraction.

• #12674 Reply
        ES

No, you won’t need to test for Skinner preK. Skinner as a whole school is not SEES, they just have one class per grade starting in K.

So preK is just a regular program.

• #12698 Reply
      skk

Skinner can be disorganized.  We are a current family and have been told nothing about start time yet.  They did confirm aftercare will be offered.  There is no before-care.  Last year was a staggered start for Covid concerns and my child had a 9am drop off time but other grades were earlier or later.  Not sure this year….Agree bus is a good earlier option.

• #12721 Reply
        2mom2015

Ty!  It does seem a little scattered and delayed.  I’m accepting it and trying to stay flexible – trust that the education will shine in the end.  We did sign up for the Star after school care. I am planning to call tomorrow to try and follow up on the bus as we sent the white form to someone at Skinner way back in June.   🙂

• #12722 Reply
      Momlife

Hi,

does anyone know if there are going to be 2 classical classes for 6th grade?

Viewing 11 reply threads
Reply To: Reply #12722 in Skinner classical
Your information:

Cancel