Spring 2019- CPS HS Results

Home Forums CPS High Schools Spring 2019- CPS HS Results

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author

Feel free to post here any results regarding CPS high school selections. Results will be released on 3/29/19 and first round acceptances are due 4/12/19. Good luck!

• #9316 Reply

If you received your SEHS & Choice high school offers, please feel free to post results to share.  If you are commenting about SEHS offers, please include your Tier and 900 pt total.  Good luck!  Cutoffs are usually posted later in the day.

• #9319 Reply
      KCK
      Participant

Got 1st choice — Payton

Vocab 98

Reading 99

Language 99

Math 99

Core 99

SE Exam 300

(no test prep either NWEA or Entrance exam)

• #9320 Reply
      Charles

Son got waitlist for his choice HS. Category 4. Does that mean they go through all Category 1, 2 and 3 waitlist students before they get to him?

• #9328 Reply

Which school did your son get waitlisted for?  For SEHS, there is no waitlist number, but there typically is for Non Selective (Choice) schools.  The Choice waitlists are per Tier for the first several rounds of selections and therefore does not require the other Tiers to be exhausted before getting to yours.  CPS has some helpful videos at https://go.cps.edu/high-school/selection

• #9321 Reply
      Stressed Student

I got into my first choice, Northside College Prep with a 288 on my selective enrollment exam!

• #9322 Reply
      Mom3

#9321, would you mind sharing, your NWEA scores?

• #9323 Reply
      Janice

Is there any way to get twins into the same school?

One was accepted and the other one was waitlisted!

• #9357 Reply

What school are you waitlisted for?  For SEHS, there is the Principal’s Discretion process that is still very competitive but may be worth a shot. For Choice schools, you may see if there is availability in a subsequent round. For all types, there may be an opportunity to transfer in 10th grade.

• #9324 Reply
      Cara

My daughter got into her first choice, Whitney Young. Tier 1, 800/900, 288 on entrance exam with no test prep. She is currently a student at the Taft Academic Center.

• #9325 Reply
      surfaceNCP
      Participant

Got 1st choice — Northside

SE Exam 300

Vocab 98

Reading 99

Language 99

Math 98

Core 99

NWEA 298

Reading 98

Math 99

Grade 300

Total 898. Got in through rank.

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by surfaceNCP.
      • #9336 Reply

Congrats and Northside has their admitted student evening on April 8 at 6:30pm.  Each high school will have welcome events prior to the deadline so parents & students can some info before confirming their acceptance.

• #9352 Reply
          surfaceNCP
          Participant

Thank! It’s extremely helpful. We’ll try our best to attend. Congratulations to everyone being accepted to their dream schools!

• #9327 Reply
      ME

I GOT INTO LANE

• #9331 Reply

SEHS 2019-2020 Cutoff scores: https://cps.edu/SiteCollectionDocuments/gocps/GoCPS_Cutoff_SEHS_2019.pdf

Non-Selective (Choice) 2019-2020 Cutoff scores: https://cps.edu/SiteCollectionDocuments/gocps/GoCPS_Cutoff_Choice_2019.pdf

• #9353 Reply
      surfaceNCP
      Participant

Anyone can tell me why, in recent years, Payton starts to attract more high scorers than Northside? Is there anything changed dramatically? Looking through the cutoff scores, Payton beats Northside in all 4 tiers and rank which was not seen several years ago. Anyone has insights?

• #9355 Reply
        KCK
        Participant

I’d say location plays a huge role!

• #9360 Reply
          surfaceNCP
          Participant

Agreed. Both demographic and geographic factors play huge roles. Well-off families living around Lincoln Park prefer sending kids to nearby Payton rather than far north Northside. This preference has been exacerbated by CPS’s switch from race based system to socioeconomic one a decade ago.

• #9358 Reply
      Elizabethchicago

What is the impact of an IEP on admission to a selective enrollment high school? We are Tier 4.

• #9361 Reply
        castlehillmom

IEPs are put into their own separate pile, a “shadow tier 5”.  They are then ranked and rated by score.  Each school must admit a certain percentage of IEP students.  I believe it’s 5% of the class.

My son was admitted to his first choice, Young, with a 814 (IEP).

• #9359 Reply
      JR

Anyone know when the admitted students’ evening is for Payton?

(My son was accepted to Payton)

nwea 295

SEHS 300, vocab 99/reading 99/ language 99/ math 96/ core 99

grades 300

• #9362 Reply
        KCK
        Participant

Got the welcome email from Payton this morning and the admitted students night will take place on 4/4 between 6pm to 8pm.

• #9363 Reply
      kbm

Any information about Whitney Young’s admitted student event? There doesn’t seem to be anything on the website, and we haven’t received anything from the school yet.

• #9366 Reply
        kbm

Found info on their website. 🙂

• #9367 Reply
          KCK
          Participant

They have Shadow Day for the incoming 9th graders! Don’t miss it!

• #9364 Reply
      surfaceNCP
      Participant

Also received welcome email from Northside this morning.
      Freshman Welcome Night on Monday, April 8 at 6:30 pm

March 30, 2018

Dear XXXX XXXX,

Congratulations on your acceptance to Northside College Preparatory High School! This opportunity to join talented students from all over the city serves as recognition of your hard work and academic achievement. On behalf of the faculty, staff, students, and parents of Northside, welcome Class of 2023.

In the coming week, you will receive an NCP welcome packet in the mail that contains additional information. In the meantime, please mark your calendars for our Freshman Welcome Night on Monday, April 8 at 6:30 pm. During this informative evening, you will hear about the school’s mission and vision, as well as receive an overview of our academic, athletic, and extracurricular programs.

Finally, please note the CPS Office of Access and Enrollment deadline to accept or decline your offer to Northside is Friday, April 12, 2019. If you applied online, you will accept or decline your offer via your online application account. If you applied via paper application, you can accept or decline your offer by either by submitting the paper confirmation form you received from the Office of Access and Enrollment or by using the online application account that was opened for you.

To use the online application site, go to go.cps.edu, click ‘Log In’ and log in with your username and password. Click ‘View 2019-2020 Application Results’ on your Student Dashboard, then click ‘Make Decisions on Offers and Waitlists.’ Under ‘Offers,’ click ‘Accept’ next to the name of our school to accept the offer. When you click ‘Accept,’ any other offers you received will be automatically declined. If you wish to decline the offer, click ‘Decline’ next to the name of our school. Click ‘Next’ to confirm your decision and click ‘Submit.’ It is your responsibility to either accept or decline the offer by 11:59 p.m. (CST) on Friday, April 12, 2019.

To submit a paper confirmation form, complete the Confirmation Form that is included with your notification letter, and enter the name of the school and program where you are accepting the offer. Ensure that your parent/guardian signs the form, and submit the form to the Office of Access and Enrollment.

If you do not accept or decline an offer by the April 12th deadline, the offer will be forfeited. For additional information, please reference your notification from the Office of Access and Enrollment.

Again, congratulations on your acceptance to Northside! I look forward to meeting you and your parents on Monday, April 8.

Kelly L. Mest, Principal

Northside College Preparatory High School

Barry R. Smith, Jr. – assistant principal
      Northside College Preparatory High School
      5501 N. Kedzie
      Chicago, IL 60625

• #9369 Reply
      Celi

My son did not get accepted into his choice and selective enrollment HS , rather he got accepted to 2 schools that we’re not on the top of his list. What happens is we don’t accept either of the schools. Is there still chance for him to apply to other HS on the 2nd round? 

• #9370 Reply
        8th grade mom

Most selective enrollment schools won’t have spots for 2nd round–neither will many of the more popular programs. I would see if you can determine whether they went to the 2nd round last year as an indicator.

If you don’t accept either of the schools, you can either apply second round and accept what you are offered there, or attend your neighborhood school.

Assuming he was admitted to a program for which he applied, I would accept one.

• #9372 Reply
        NewWYACmom
        Participant

Hi Celi,

Your son can apply via principal’s discretion. The administrator posted the link with the guidelines and also provided the number of spots available at each school. Your son should definitely try to go that route.

Best of luck!

• #9867 Reply
          siri

Good morning

what/where is the link?

thank you

s

• #9641 Reply
      Max

889 – Tier 3, Payton
      300 Exam, 300 Grades, 289 NWEA

• #9858 Reply
      Shaun
      • Reading:97
      • Language:76
      • Math:72 ( he didn’t finish half of the section)
      • Vocabulary:89
      • Core Total: 82 which was a 248 on the entrance exam
      • Got in brooks with a 845 but using principal discretion for young.
    • #10408 Reply
      Sonia Brown

Good afternoon! Please share with me the link in regards to the Principal discretions for my daughter who is really worried about her score being too low to be accepted in her school of choice this year! Please help thank you!

Viewing 19 reply threads
Reply To: Reply #9370 in Spring 2019- CPS HS Results
Your information:

Cancel