Spring 2020 Choice ES Waitlisted

Viewing 104 reply threads
  • Author
      momof2rp

hey there!

no offers from any of our schools unfortunately.. anyone know how the waitlist works?? we’re hopeful for our chances with stone, but not sure how the tiers work!!? any thoughts???

solomon waitlist #93

stone (tier 2) waitlist #1

ravenswood waitlist #494

rogers waitlist #32

• #10817 Reply
      JE

Sorry, tried to copy and paste from my excel spreadsheet and that didn’t work out.

Take #2:

Prescott 86
      Mayer 83
      Bell 187
      Blaine 70
      Drummond 171
      Lincoln 70
      LaSalle 197
      Burr 3
      Burley 17
      Coonley 146
      Hamilton 83
      Hawthorne 246
      Inter-American 74
      Skinner 83

• #10826 Reply
      skb

Any PK families here?

We got an offer at Suder Montessori.

• #10867 Reply
      Miranda

Congrats! Pre-k 3 here. We are #7, tier 4 waitlist at Suder and #183 proximity at Drummond.
      Have you heard much about Suder? I didn’t tour before all this craziness and don’t know much about Suder other than it’s a Montessori school.

• #10933 Reply
      SZ

hey!

We got an offer from Suder too. Would love to hear from parents with any Suder experience.

• #10934 Reply
      SZ

Sorry forgot to mention- for pre-k

• #10938 Reply
      Nicole F.

We have 5 year old twins going to Kindergarten:

We got an offer at Talcott, definitely accepting it until we get an offer from any of the ones below. Our dream school is STEM but I’m not sure if there are 19 people around our area that will decline such an awesome school. What are the chances for these waitlists?

Waitlisted on the following:

1. Suder #2 and 3

2. Mitchell #7 and 8

3. Galileo #11 and 12

4. STEM #20/21 Proximity

5. LaSalle #20/21

• #10939 Reply
      Nicole F.

We toured Suder, it is very impressive. It is a Montessori so if this is something you like go for it! We are #2 on the waitlist!

• #11495 Reply
        skk

we just turned down Suder PK 3 so hopefully somebody gets a spot!

• #10941 Reply
      SZ

Thanks! Hope you get in your choice of school👍

• #10942 Reply
      Robins

My daughter got offered RGC at Pritzker. How is Pritzker RGC ? Currently, she is STEM (lottery) and we are happy! If I accept the Pritzker then current school STEM admit will be cancelled? Please suggest us

• #10992 Reply
      TAF

Alright, any insight would be extremely helpful! We’re looking at 1st grade:

Offer at Suder (accepted, though we’re staying on a few waitlists).

Galileo – 27

Mitchell – 18

Sheridan – 23

Healy – 58

I didn’t list anything that was 100+. A few questions, if anyone knows: do Galileo or Sheridan’s waitlists typically move a lot? Also, we accepted Suder because we love the idea of a Montessori program, but I couldn’t help but notice the abysmal scores and rankings it receives (greatschools, schooldigger, etc.). Does anyone know why this is? Is this actually a reflection of the quality of the education at the school?

• #10994 Reply
      Eugene

Does anyone have any thoughts or insights into Jackson Language Academy? We received an offer and accepted, although we are on several waitlists. (For you folks waiting on Suder, we just declined our Round 1 Suder offer, so at least one spot has opened up!)

#2 on waitlist for STEM, which we’re interested in as well. Wondering how likely it is that we’ll be offered a spot… We’re on the “Tier 3” waitlist specifically.

This is for kindergarten, although our hope is to leave our daughter (and eventually her younger brother) at whichever school we choose K-8. Don’t want to have to do this all over again!

• #10995 Reply
      LakeviewMom

@momof2rp The waitlists for magnets move per tier, so if anyone from Tier 2 who was offered a spot at Stone doesn’t accept, then your child will be offered that spot.

@NicoleF & @TAF To get a ballpark idea how much the waitlists move, I found Jennifer’s post #9986 from last year helpful: https://chicagoschooloptions.com/forums/topic/spring-2019-es-lottery-results/#post-9986. That said, it doesn’t include the specific schools you both listed, so may not be of much help to you.

• #10997 Reply
      hopefulmom

We were on the Tier 3 waitlist for STEM last year and it moved quite a bit, although not enough to get us a spot. #3 sounds very promising, Luckily you can accepte Jackson and still stay on the witlist for STEM. I would think you will get a call about STEM in the next month or so.

• #11000 Reply
      IPMom

Hi there.
      We are on the waitlist for all schools applied for K. Most curious about:

Pritzker – 14

STEM – 18, Tier 3

Disney 2 – 38, Proximity

McPherson – 52

Does anyone know about movement for any of these? Positive or negative thoughts? Thanks!

• #11002 Reply
      ChicagoBorn

For information purposes to help those waiting for Round 2 offers to Kindergarten.  We are Tier 4

SEES – Poe Classical offered and we will accept

Galileo – offered but we will decline

Jackson A – 5

Mount Greenwood – 8

Turner-Drew – 1

STEM Magnet – 35

Lasalle II – 24   (wailist #24 must not be that high as we also received an email from the school about their virtual open house next week.  They stated we had a low waitlist number and to be keep an eye on our Go CPS account beginning May 29th so that may be date schools start pulling from waitlist)

For humor I will note our child’s high waitlist numbers

Skinner West – 790

South Loop – 391

Best wishes everyone !

• #11003 Reply
      ChicagoBorn

See above. So we will be removed from the waitlists and this will open up for others.

• #11012 Reply
      chau

Tier 2, got 3 offers: Disney II, Newberry, and Galileo. On the waitlist as bellow:

Jackson (11, Proximity)

Stem (51, Proximity)

Lasalle (87, Tier 2)

Lasalle II (1, Tier 1)

Will likely accept Galileo as that is by us and works best logistically. Hoping on Jackson, but not sure.

South Loop (50, General)

• #11013 Reply
      chau

Going into k, sorry

• #11018 Reply
      momof2rp

@lakeviewmom

thank you for clarifying!!!

• #11019 Reply
      NH

Hello!

We are new to Chicago and the school system is a little overwhelming. We are Tier 4, got one offer at Agassiz and got waitlisted in a few others that we prefer based on proximity and reviews etc.

Franklin -53

LaSalle -60

Pulaski – 18

Newberry – 18

Alcott – 78

our neighborhood school is Ogden which we have heard mixed reviews about. Any experience or thoughts on any of the schools ? Including Ogden or Agassiz ?
      Also suggestions on how to handle round 2?
      thank you in advance !!

• #11020 Reply
      NH

sorry – This is for kindergarten

• #11025 Reply
      UKVillage Mom

For K, tier 4, we received offers from Bronzeville Classical and Suder.

Does anyone have any information to share about Bronzeville?

Waitlist #s are as follows:

Burr – 5

Lincoln – 38

Hawthorne – 39

Jackson – 109

Mitchell – 120

We really, really wanted to get into Mitchell.  Is it still possible?

Is Lincoln possible?

Also, for PK-3, we were accepted to Suder and are waitlisted #8 for Drummond.  Any hope on that front?

• #11026 Reply
        LakeviewMom

I would say that the chance for Drummond is low. Two years ago when we were applying for PK-3, we were waitlisted #4 for Tier 4 at Drummond and had high hopes. That waitlist moved up only one spot all summer; we remained at #3 throughout with no offer.

• #11032 Reply
      UKVillage Mom

Thanks for the info, LakeviewMom.  That helps set expectations and planning in case we decide to send the kindergartner to a different school.

• #11033 Reply
      UKVillage Mom

We also got a PK-3 offer from Suder.

• #11036 Reply
      Elizabeth

You will probably get a call from McPherson at some point but it may be further into the summer. People move around a lot. My son is currently in kindergarten at McPherson and he loves his teacher. I am happy with her as well. The principal tries to keep the class sizes small. His kindergarten class has 18 kids.

• #11037 Reply
      Elizabeth

This was for IP mom. Not sure why it didn’t reply to her post.

• #11040 Reply
      Avondale

For K, we received

Waters – 21

Bateman – 14

Brentano – 67

I assume we will get a Bateman offer at some point. Any chance at all on Waters? We’re really hoping for that. Anyone know if they’ll have more spots / movement this year because of the addition? Seems like Brentano’s wait list didn’t move much last year so I assume that’s out of reach.

• #11048 Reply
      Uptown mom

For K we got these the lowest the rest schools 100 and more

Stone   Tire 4. – 12

Waters   – 28

Rodgers 63

Ravenswood – 60

Any chances we may get in, even in winter?

• #11065 Reply
      ES

Disney now has a new principal, so there probably will be some changes, but with the old one, a child could get kicked out of the gifted program mid year based on the NWEA test scores even in Kindergarten.

In SEES, once you are in, you are in.

Also regarding wait list movements, 2 years ago, we were 58 tier 4 and got an offer in August which we declined. I imagine it is about the same each year.

• #11074 Reply
      Cpsahead

Mu daughter was 30 at Stone 4 years ago and got offer mid June. I think you have a good chance there.

• #11096 Reply
      Bridgeport Dad

Our experience last year with Sheridan, and almost all the Bridgeport elementary schools, was hardly any movement.  We started at 117 on Sheridan’s list last year and didn’t move up at all until after the school year started.  The exception was J Ward, where we moved from 98 to 2 over the course of the summer and got an offer.

Hopefully you have better luck than we had last year.

• #11097 Reply
      Kennedy’s Mom

Anyone familiar with the movement at LaSalle II and overall the school? Currently waitlist number #8 for 3rd Grade. Received email from principal regarding open house and meeting 3rd grade teachers virtually due to low number. Also, principal made mention May 29th the list moves. Currently at Disney I and looking to leave. Lasalle II appear to have a great school community and also appear to be pretty good academically as well. Any inside info on them would be greatly appreciated.

• #11116 Reply
      Kiaroosmom

Anyone just finish kindergarten at Lasalle Language Academy or National Teachers Academy’s gifted program? Looking for some insight. Thank you!

• #11139 Reply
      Ag

Hi, do you know if the list exist somewhere how many students were accepted each school in magnet cluster and open enrollment schools. I am trying to get to it. Do you know how to request it? I have learned that some schools in those categories did not accept students in years… like 10 years so I could not understand why those schools would be part of lotteries. I find that practice deceiving.

• #11157 Reply
      Eugene

Anyone know when (and how often) they will start to update the waitlist positions on GoCPS?

• #11158 Reply
        LakeviewMom

According to https://go.cps.edu/ the Round 1 Waitlist Process for elementary schools will open on May 29th.

• #11183 Reply
      UKVillage Mom

We just declined our offer for Suder Montessori for Kindergarten, so those of you on the waitlist will move up!

• #11206 Reply
      Melody Russ

We are tier 1 wait list number 7 for Drummond Pre-K. Does anybody have any stories that might give us hope? Thanks

• #11228 Reply
      Bo

Does anyone know if/when the waitlist numbers get updated? I checked gocps and mine are the same as before.

• #11229 Reply
      momof2rp

<p style=”text-align: left;”>just checked ours, too.. it looks like it hasn’t been updated for us yet! waiting anxiously!</p>

• #11230 Reply
      abc123

My daughter is #5 General on the Coonley kindergarten waitlist.  My sense is that they do not draw any non-siblings from the list, but does anyone know?

My waitlist numbers didn’t move today either.

• #11231 Reply
      MAMA

We accepted first round offer from Edison but just got an e-mail offer from McPherson magnet. I am guessing this is round 2? We were number 25 on the waitlist and in tier 4.

• #11232 Reply
      ChicagoBorn

We accepted 1st round offer to Poe Classical and declined Galileo Magnet.   However Galileo still called us this week saying they were happy to hear we accepted.   Immediately told them we did not accept Galileo in a polite way and they appreciated it and apologized for the confusion.  Called OAE and Poe and both have our child confirmed at Poe Classical for Kindergarten.

I checked our other magnet Choice wait list and we have not moved.  Maybe there was a mix up this week as I was definitely surprised to have two schools believing we accepted both when that is not possible.  In the go.cps site if you accept your SEES and it automatically declines any Choice offers.

Good luck all… maybe the no movement for many on the wait lists means OAE is still managing the offers and accepts/declines.

• #11236 Reply
      SchoolStuff

No movement on any of our 17 waitlists today. Sounds like we are not alone. Sigh.

• #11243 Reply
      Anxious Esteban

First time parent here for the entire process, our child will be going into kindergarten— we were waitlisted on all our schools— however last week we rec’d an email about round 2 and how to register… just to clarify as the messaging is really confusing— we didn’t need to enter ourselves into a round 2 did we? After doing as much reading as we could, we decided on no action.

However since as of today (5/30) our waitlist numbers are unchanged, we’re getting this sinking feeling that we screwed up… or should we just be patient? Two of our schools, our child is 20 or lower on waitlist.

Somebody talk us off the ledge that we didn’t drop the ball– to clarify, we did register for round 1. Thanks

• #11255 Reply
        LakeviewMom

@Anxious Esteban You haven’t screwed up. As others have reported, some waitlists haven’t moved yet (including ours). Round 2 is only for Choice schools you haven’t applied to in Round 1, so if you want to list additional schools, you can (given they are not greyed out). If you try to participate in Round 2 this week, you will see the following message on GoCPS:

“The second-round application process for grades K-8 is now open. Applications must be submitted no later than 11:59 pm on Friday, June 5, 2020. IMPORTANT NOTE: If a school receives applications for a school where no seats are available, all applicants will be waitlisted. If your child is waitlisted, the school has to exhaust its Round 1 waitlist before seats can be offered to students on the Round 2 waitlist.”

This last sentence is most important – there is no advantage to participating in Round 2 for the schools you are already waitlisted on.

• #11244 Reply
      Didn’t drop it

You are ok. Numbers didn’t change for anyone yet in the system.

• #11257 Reply
      Eugene

We are trying to decide between JACKSON A LANGUAGE ACADEMY and STEM. Anyone have any thoughts between the two? We’re leaning STEM, but don’t know much about either school.

• #11260 Reply
      TAF

@Eugene: I’ve heard – from a former staff member on the school – that things are in a bit of a freefall at Jackson. It sounds like it has to do with disorganized administration. This is second-hand info, but I’ve heard nothing but good things about STEM.

• #11261 Reply
      Junko

Hello, our daughter 5 is waiting list #1 on Franklin. Does anybody know about the school to share with our decision making? our daughter is also accepted into NTA RGC.

• #11262 Reply
      LakeviewMom

@Eugene If I were in your position, I would choose STEM over Jackson. As much as I frown upon uniforms, I like that STEM has ambitious instruction and better academic results overall. I assume you have already seen their GreatSchools.org and SchoolDigger.com scores which indicate the same. I would also echo @TAF’s impression that STEM is better organized. The only two points I like about Jackson over STEM are the nicer building/grounds and the foreign language aspect.

On the more anecdotal side: We have friends whose kids go to STEM and they are happy there. I also know someone who moved their child from Jackson to Skinner North because they were not challenged academically at Jackson.

• #11263 Reply
      TAF

Has anyone heard anything about waitlist movement? I’ve been looking everywhere and have seen no information regarding timelines, except for the vague notion that they were supposed to start updating this week. Are we waiting for Round 2 to close? I wish there was a tad more transparency to this process (understatement of the century)…

• #11264 Reply
      Eugene

People are receiving waitlist offers right now, but any movement in your waitlist position (as far as I can tell) is not yet reflected in GoCPS, unless you moved up high enough to be offered a spot, in which case you will see “Offered” next to your old waitlist position #.

I agree that this process is not very transparent, and it’s not well executed either. We received two waitlist offers yesterday, but I was not notified about either of them. I only discovered that we were offered spots because I obsessively check our GoCPS account throughout the day. It’s very confusing because the system still says our waitlist spot is, e.g., 16 at Pritzker, but we are now offered a spot at the school at have 48 hours to decide. If you don’t look closely at the details, I could see how someone might miss this and think they are still on the waitlist.

• #11265 Reply
      Agreed

I totally agree. The waitlist numbers are not changed in the system to reflect where individuals truly are.

• #11266 Reply
      momof2rp

so frustrating!! i have been checking our GoCPS account and NOTHING has changed! we have pretty low waitlist numbers (actually #1 on one of our choices)still no movement ! i’m worried that i did something wrong, or possibly missed a phone call or something ? really wish this process was more clear.

• #11267 Reply
      UKVillage Mom

We received an email around noon on June 2nd from a school indicting we had received an offer.  I was under the impression that we had 48 hours from when the school contacted us for us to respond.  This morning at 8 a.m. I checked the CPS website and it said our offer had expired.  This is less than 48 hours.

Please remember to check your CPS account regularly, I don’t want other families to miss out on their offers like we did.

• #11270 Reply
      ChicagoBorn

@UKVillage Mom Sorry to hear they did not give a deadline to respond.  I would contact OAE or the school if you were strongly interested in it. Curious was it a magnet school offer or SEES?

• #11271 Reply
      UKVillage Mom

@Chicagoborn the offer was for a magnet cluster school.  Fortunately, we were tending towards not accepting anyway but the procedure here was worrisome especially for families with limited internet access.

• #11275 Reply
      LakeviewMom

Our waitlist numbers were updated today, for the first time since May 8th. Is anyone else seeing the same?

We moved up one position on the Hawthorne proximity waitlist (single-digits).

• #11276 Reply
      Abc123

Ours updated too. Good luck with Hawthorne, LakeviewMom!

• #11281 Reply
        LakeviewMom

Thank you @Abc123 🙂 Hope the Coonley list moved for you too! I noticed you posted about it earlier.

Good luck to you and all other parents too!

• #11277 Reply
      TAF

Okay – in case this helps anyone, this is our wait-list movement for first grade, Tier 3:

Galileo – 27 / 19

Mitchell – 18 / 17

Sheridan – 23 / 19

Healy – 58 / 56

Fingers crossed that the lists keep moving…

• #11278 Reply
      jen

So we accepted alcott for K last year. Amazing. We were 50 something, But they had three K classes. I know that they are not accepting waitlist till closer to the beginning of school year because they want to only have two K classes this year. They plan to have most spots filled with neighborhood kids. Again, you just never know.

Pulaski is awesome. You have a really good shot with that one. Everyone loves it and great program.

Franklin we were like 12 — ended up at around 2. Never got called, but they alternate each year with class size. So last year there was only one K class and this year will be two. Great school.. but we didn’t like the principal much. He actually got into some trouble this year as well. The school is very art focused which is amazing. They also have great academics.

Lasalle is awesome too.. They only thing for us was the start time. it was like 9am. I believe they do have before care.. we have friends that go and love it. you kid will learn and speak another language as it is very language focused.

Most schools will post in their local school council the plans/history for out of district acceptance or when they will start to pull from waitlist. I would suggest to keep in touch with the school of your choice, voice your desire to go there.. sometimes spots open in beginning or after the school year begins  (after the waitlists have closed).

• #11279 Reply
      JE

We got an offer from Burr for 1st Grade and we accepted but here’s our movement in case this will help you all!

School 5/8 – 6/6 – Change
      Prescott 86 – 77 – 9
      Mayer 83 – 80 – 3
      Bell 187 – 178 – 9
      Blaine 70 – 70 – 0
      Drummond 171 – 154 – 17
      Lincoln 70 – 66 – 4
      LaSalle 197 – 180 – 17
      Burr 3 – Offered – 3
      Burley 17 – 17 – 0
      Coonley 146 – 137 – 9
      Hamilton 83 – 76 – 7
      Hawthorne 246 – 233 – 13
      Inter-American 74 – 73 – 1
      Skinner 83 – 70 – 13

• #11280 Reply
      Uptown mom

Waitlist finally started to move Yay! We are single digit for Stone tire 4, K,  fingers crossed Good luck to everyone

mayer 1, but not sure if they open the list

• #11287 Reply
      AF

Any idea how much LaSalle II moves? We are #58 tier 3. It’s my top choice and trying to decide if I should give up or hold out hope and keep obsessively checking our number. We are #13 for STEM but outside of busing boundaries and it’s an early start, so I don’t know if that will be a realistic option.

• #11292 Reply
      GBFKicks

We were offered a PreK spot at Drummond and accepted–we’ll drop it if my daughter gets a spot at Pulaski, which is our neighborhood school.

My son, who will be starting Kindergarten at Pulaski is really excited about the new playground and outdoor space/multipurpose field (nothing to do with academics, just really neat)

• #11294 Reply
      LakeView MaMa

What are your thoughts on the waitlist categorization? Is it better to be on the proximity or general admission waitlist? We are on a proximity waitlist and have noticed that the general waitlist is moving a lot faster.

Any feedback or thoughts on Alcott vs. Hawthorne?

P.S. We declined Prescott (kindergarten) for anyone that was seeking that option. Waitlist should move again.

• #11297 Reply
      Prescott

Did you decline Prescott for a reason you can share? We have an offer I am nervous to accept. I am wondering if they personalize learning and differentiate so that kids are always challenged if they are advanced beyond grade level there

• #11300 Reply
      TAF

It looks like the waitlists moved again! For first grade, general:

School 5/8 – 6/6 – 6/14  [Change]

Galileo: 27 – 19 – 18  [9]

Mitchell: 18 – 17 – 17  [1]

Sheridan: 23 – 19 – 17  [6]

Healy: 58 – 56 – 55  [3]

Looks like our lists are moving very little. I don’t know if it’s too early to start worrying, but I am anyway!

• #11301 Reply
      SouthsideChiMom

We have had no movement for our waitlist options after the first move about a week ago (this is for kindergarten). We are 10th for Healy, 11th for Galileo, 26th for Drummond and 39th for Franklin (these are the only ones I’ve really been looking at because of the low numbers – I would be very surprised if any of the other ones came to anything). Do you think there’s a bit of a lull because of schools ending the year? Has anyone who has gone through this before seen a pick-up once the summer starts, or should I prepare myself for no movement until almost the beginning of next school year? Thanks!

• #11303 Reply
      LakeView MaMa

Sorry so late to your question @Prescott. What did you decide to do with Prescott enrollment? Did you accept the offer?

I decided to decline due to an array of reasons when comparing Prescott against my top two picks Alcott and Hawthorn based on educational rankings (math/reading proficiencies) and classroom structure (includes teaching methodology, teacher/student ratio, + before and after school care due to start and end times), transportation, and parent/community involvement.

• #11312 Reply
        LakeviewMom

Hi neighbor mom 🙂

You do know that accepting or declining one Choice school offer doesn’t impact getting offers from other Choice schools, right? So you could have accepted Prescott as a backup and still stayed on the Alcott and Hawthorne waitlists which may never materialize. Only if you already have offers from one or both of those schools or if Alcott is your neighborhood school, then declining the Prescott offer makes sense.

• #11434 Reply
          LakeView MaMa

@LakeviewMom Yes, Alcott is my neighbor school and preference is between Hawthorne if that proximity waitlist moves vs. Prescott. It was the main reason of declining the offer.

Anyone else on the Hawthorn waitlist (general or proximity)?

• #11444 Reply
            RobinInTheRain

I see. Alcott is an excellent school with one of the highest % students going to SEHS (https://bit.ly/3dpjuIy), so it’s great to have it as a neighborhood school.

We are single digits on the proximity waitlist for Hawthorne. That list has moved only one position up since May, so I am not holding my breath. And either way, we will likely decline the offer if ever received (due to RGC enrollment).

• #11307 Reply
      Prescott

We did decline, but that was a hard one. I just wasn’t confident that it would be rigorous enough. If we made a mistake (because I know enough to know you really have to spend a lot of time somewhere to make a very good decision), we’ll try again next year.

• #11308 Reply
      Abc123

<p style=”text-align: left;”>@Prescott, may I ask which school you currently plan to attend? I am weighing Prescott as well and eager for any information or comparison I can get.</p>

• #11309 Reply
      Prescott

Yes. That was for a child who was already attending a selective enrollment school. I think we would have accepted otherwise.

• #11310 Reply
      UKVillage Mom

Just got an offer to Agassiz, was 24 on the waitlist after this last round of updates.

Does anyone have any wisdom to impart?  Worth the drive from UK village?

• #11311 Reply
      LakeviewMom

@UKVillage Mom Agassiz is not near the top of my preferred schools but it depends on what your current alternatives are.

@Abc123 What are you comparing Prescott too? I was impressed with Prescott during their tour and their focus on literature and writing (e.g., they have designated spaces throughout the school where a kid can just sit and read – made me think of a kid version of hanging out at coffee shops). The only downside to me was the older building but they were also in the middle of making some changes when I toured two years ago. I haven’t heard anything bad about Prescott.

• #11313 Reply
      Abc123

LakeviewMom,

Thank you for the helpful information! I think we have a chance of Hamilton through the lottery. Hamilton seems to offer a lot in terms of facilities, technology, specials, etc. Prescott is our neighborhood school and would be somewhat more convenient, although neither is far. My sense is that they are fairly comparable academically.

• #11314 Reply
        RobinInTheRain

That makes sense. You are in a good position having Prescott as your neighborhood school.

P.S. Not sure why but when I tried to respond as LakeviewMom, I got the message: “***Forbidden. Sender blacklisted.***” 🤔🤐 Anyone else seen this before?

• #11321 Reply

Sorry you are getting that weird message. I have no idea why. This forum is a bit wonky to work with and if anyone has insights in to a WordPress forum interface, we would love to connect!

• #11326 Reply
            RobinInTheRain

Thank you for the reply, glad to know I didn’t unintentionally break some forum rules. I am OK with being RobinInTheRain now.

And thank you for offering us this forum! I have benefited immensely from it. Also love the avatars 🙂 (No WordPress interface experience unfortunately…).

• #11322 Reply
      Karey

Hey Everyone…my son added Audubon last year, but we moved into Coonley this year.  Audubon will not let us stay so we have to pick a new school.  We got into Prescott and Coonley is our neighborhood.  Does anyone have any recommendations on how to pick between the two?  We can’t do any tours so we are kind of searching in the dark.  Prescott is ranked slightly higher, but is farther away.  Any advice is appreciated!

• #11323 Reply
      Abc123

Hi Karey, I don’t know much about Coonley, but it is very well regarded. It sounds like you might be comparing on GreatSchools. Check out the schools’ Reports and other info on the CPS website. In your position I would probably stick with Coonley and save the commute.
      https://schoolinfo.cps.edu/schoolprofile/schooldetails.aspx?SchoolId=609866

• #11324 Reply
      Abc123

Sorry, I think the link is wrong. If you google CPS plus school name it should be one of the first listings.

• #11327 Reply
      Bpmommy

Prescott waitlist is really moving!  We got a k offer to Prescott yesterday and we were #39 on the wait list. We are declining.

Our only lower number was Bell at #13. I see we have moved down to #10. But on GoCPS it changed our stays to “offered” for Prescott but showing out waitlist number at #3.   The rest have moved but nothing notable to share with the group. I will post my final movement at time of school starts so everybody for next year can see. We will also be going though this for k next year as we are going though the early entry process right now and decided not to early enroll.

• #11328 Reply
      Bpmommy

* changed our status

• #11334 Reply
      UKVillage Mom

My waitlist numbers haven’t changed at all since last Sunday.

• #11350 Reply
      TAF

Did anyone see much change in their waitlists yesterday? Ours dropped by one for only two of our choices, which is pretty dispiriting.

• #11359 Reply
      Chau

We got our offer for Jackson this past Friday and accepted (dropping Galileo) but nothing else seems to have moved, even our number for Jackson which went from 11 to 2 but didn’t change when the offer was sent so…?

• #11360 Reply
      AD1114

We have gotten off waitlists at Greely, Disney I, and today off of Agassiz. We were higher up on these lists so I wasn’t really considering them. Not sure what to do about Agassiz and looking into it.

We are hoping for Hamilton and waitlisted number 3, and Burley number 6 but not much movement there. Thinking there could have been some movement today since we were offered, so check your accounts. Good luck to everyone!

• #11361 Reply
      AD1114

Also, a quick question. If we accept an offer and receive one from a school we like more later on in the process, can we still accept that second school? Or even change to our neighborhood school? I thought so and this could be why waitlists move so late into the summer but want to double check. Thank you!

• #11364 Reply
        RobinInTheRain

Yes to both questions. Except you can only accept one offer at a time. So if you want to accept the offer from the second school, you need to give up the offer/acceptance from the first one.

• #11363 Reply
      Uptown mom

Hi, anybody knows about Agassiz magnet school? I have Mayer and Agassiz , waiting for Stone very soon. Thank you

• #11373 Reply
      Garfield ridge dad

Anyone have thoughts on Jungman in Pilsen?
      2nd round waitlist

jungman (2)

1st round waitlist

sheridan (5)

dore (5)

kinzie (11)

stem originally 90 now 89th. Progress

Seems like selection for the first round of schools we chose may not happen.

• #11374 Reply
      Garfield ridge dad

Should mention that these are our school choices for 6th grade.

• #11447 Reply
      Jen

Alcott is only having two kindergarten classes this year. They decided not to pull waitlist till closer to the start of school. The don’t foresee that many outside of boundaries outside of siblings.

• #11480 Reply
      momof2rp

make sure you check your accounts! i never recieved an email or any notification this time to let us know our status had changed, (unlike our first offer that notified me right away through email… ) we are currently #25 on one of our waitlists, and got an offer! good thing i checked. haha had about 12 hours to decided! 🤪

• #11488 Reply
      JE

Burley Update! We were originally #17 and on GoCPS it shows #8; however, we received a phone call today from the Asst. Principal that we have been offered a spot.

We already accepted an offer from Burr in early June and the staff and community has already gave us such a warm welcome.

We don’t know any Burley families so any feedback would be great!

• #11489 Reply
      JE

This is for First Grade**

• #11492 Reply
      TAF

I checked the waitlists today and nothing seems to have changed for quite awhile. I thought it might be due to the whole in-person/remote learning plan CPS is rolling out for the fall. Anyone have any insights or thoughts about this? Are waitlists still moving?

It seems so strange to be waiting on CPS school decisions right now with the remote/in-person hybrid learning plans rolling out. Understatement of the century, I know…

• #11493 Reply
      Melody Russ

We are currently number seven on the wait list at Drummond for Pre-K. I’m wondering what happens if a parent opts their Pre-K student out of in-person learning. Since there isn’t a remote learning option for pre-k, would they be giving up their spot or would it be held indefinitely?

• #11494 Reply
      MOM23

Pretty sure it is held.  We are having a baby the first week of September, immediately before school starts, so are opting our child out of in-person learning initially because of the newborn.  I have been told her Pre-K spot would be held at least through the first quarter when decisions can be re-evaluated (this is at Suder)

• #11496 Reply
      skk

We have a child at STEM – very good academics, esp Math, Science.  They don’t learn a language, they learn coding and our child has enjoyed that.  STEM has a lot of kids from all different neighborhoods, mostly West side and great diversity.  We have been happy.  We also have friends at JLA and they enjoy the program there – it has foreign language which STEM doesn’t.  Both great schools, good luck.

• #11497 Reply
      skk

waitlists move in late August / early Sept

• #11509 Reply
      AD

<p style=”text-align: left;”>JE,</p>
      Just curious which waitlist you moved off of for Burley. We have been number 6 from the beginning on the “general” waitlist and haven’t seen any movement. I’ve heard there are a variety of categories of waitlists. Just wondering. We aren’t sure we will stick with CPS at this point and might go private since we would like our son to be in person. So many choices and so many unknowns 😫

• #11510 Reply
      MoMofthree

We received an offer from Andrew Jackson, 2nd grade. Declined. Original wait list number was 18.

• #11511 Reply
      ChicagoBorn

We received an offer today from Andrew Jackson, Kindergarten. Declined today also.  We accepted an SEES offer in May but kept a few Choice wait list schools we would actually consider in the future as we have a younger child and wanted to know how long it took to move through the wait list.

Originally wait listed for Andrew Jackson for K as Tier 4 – position 5.   Slow movement it seems for Kindergarten maybe?

• #11541 Reply
      SouthsideChiMom

Hello! We have had no movement on any of our waitlist offers – we were very close on some of them, however that was only for the Tier 3 list, so we were still behind the students that were on waitlists for Tiers 1 and 2. Is there any chance that there will still be movement in the first few weeks of school? We have a pretty good neighborhood school that we are fine with our son going to for this year, but I was just wondering what anyone’s thoughts were on continued movement.

• #11561 Reply
      Bpmommy

So I have officially removed my child from the wait list.  Reason for removal is we were early kindergarten applicants and decided we are going to enroll with her age group next year (2021-2022).  But just wanted to provide our wait list movement for those going though this process in a subsequent year.

I have heard that sometimes the lists move after school starts, so this would not include final movement post school starting (school starts next week). And also, you will see that we were offered a spot at a school and let it expire (on purpose). At the time that my daughter was offered the spot, Go CPS was still showing us at #3 on the wait list.  So they may not have been updating the wait list numbers on Go CPS in every case. We are Tier 4.

Alcott- #176 to #150  (change of 26)

Bell- #13 to #10 (change of 3)

Burley- #93 to 75 (change of 18)

Burr- #330  to #214 (change of 116)

Coonley- #65 to #57 (change of 8)

Hawthorne- #104 to #91 (change of 13)

LaSalle II (proximity)- #184 to #157 (change of 27)

Lincoln- #72 to #66 (change of 6)

Prescott- #39 to #3 (change of at least 36) **we were offered a spot on 6/18 which we let expire.  So this list might have moved more then I have noted.

Pritzker- #443 to #325 (change of 118)

Skinner- #637 to #531 (change of 106)

Hope this helps someone!

• #11562 Reply
      Bpmommy

To clarify,  this is for kindergarten!

• #11619 Reply
      RobinInTheRain

In case it helps anyone in the future, we were #6 on the K Proximity waiting list for Hawthorne when the results first came out in May, then moved to #5 a month later and then to #3 the first week of school which is where we are right now.

Viewing 104 reply threads
Reply To: Reply #11158 in Spring 2020 Choice ES Waitlisted
Your information:

Cancel