Why does CPS allow suburban students to test into SEHS?

Home Forums CPS High Schools Selective Enrollment High Schools (SEHS) Why does CPS allow suburban students to test into SEHS?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Confused Parent

Students who live in the suburbs are taking coveted spots at CPS SEHS. Why are they allowed to test before living in Chicago? I personally know of 2 students who live and go to school in the suburbs (with very good public high schools) who are hoping to attend Jones or Payton. They are wealthy families who will purchase a condo in the city if they are accepted. The is unfair to the real residents of the Chicago. The following is directly from the Go CPS website:
      “Yes, you have to live in Chicago to enroll and attend a Chicago public, charter, or contract school. You do NOT have to live in Chicago in order to apply, participate in the testing process, and even be selected, but you have to provide proof of city of Chicago residency by July 1, 2018, for the 2018-2019 school year.”

• #6218 Reply
      gp
      Participant

I wasn’t aware of this. What tier are these families from the suburbs considered who might be selected?

• #6219 Reply
      Confused Parent

From what I was told tier 4.

• #10269 Reply
        surfaceNCP
        Participant

read this post last year when we were preparing for moving to chicago from another state due to job change. considering northside and payton, but had no idea what tier we belonged to since we were still living in another state at the time of application. googled and found this post. still not sure so called CPS twice and got different answers each time. one said we would be assigned a tier based on our out of state address. Not too surprising because CPS uses public census data and their own formula to assign a tier to each CPS applicant. It would be very easy to do so for any applicant and address anywhere in the US. I thought I would find out what tier we belonged to after the SEHS test and final outcome. Still don’t know it becasue my DD got high enough score to qualify for either northside or payton through rank. we finally went to DD’s first choice, northside because of the proximity to our then prospective and current chicago residence. But still wondering how exactly CPS tiers out of state address or non-chicago address.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by surfaceNCP.
        • #10271 Reply
          HoustonMoveIn
          Participant

Tiers for people who live outside of Chicago are solely based on median income of their current census tract no other demographics are considered. While it’s not a perfect system, this seems as fair as anything given that the level of analysis that’s put into determining Chicago Tiers cannot be done for every tract in the US. I worked directly with a person who handles out of state applicants. She told us our Tier directly. I’ve never found a specific formula published anywhere.

• #10272 Reply
            surfaceNCP
            Participant

A wonderful piece of information for my curiosity! For Chicago address as you might already well know, CPS uses census data to calculate 6-factor scores and use their secret formula to get the final score to assign each Chicago address a tier. CPS never publishes their tier calculation details and formula. But by reverse engineering, some genius people found a formula which generates nearly identical tier results. Their calculation can be found here http://cpstiers.opencityapps.org/tier-calculation.html . Among these six factors, the median income correlates most closely to the tier determination; the other five factors have minor effects but not negligible. Glad to learn for non-Chicago address, they simplify the tier assignment.

• #6255 Reply
      gp
      Participant

From what this article suggests, you can’t apply to a CPS selective enrollment school if you live in the suburbs. I hope that rule is in place and is enforced.

“Had they used the … address of the home where they actually lived in Highland Park, he would not have qualified for admission to Northside,” according to the report.

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20161215/west-ridge/cps-public-schools-selective-enrollment-residency-fraud-office-inspector-general

• #6281 Reply
      Confused Parent

They can apply, test, and be offered a spot. Per GO CPS website they just need to establish residency in Chicago by July 1st.

• #10148 Reply
      CPSDad

What is the alternative?  What if people are legitimately moving to Chicago for other reasons?  And how far back would you go?  How long would someone have to have lived in Chicago for them to apply?  I think if a family is willing to commit to moving into the city – have at it.

• #10206 Reply
      HoustonMoveIn
      Participant

Thank you CPSDad for your support. We are moving to Chicago this summer and if these policies had not been in place we would have been stuck with a neighborhood program or paying for a private school.

I can understand the original poster’s frustration with someone gaming the system especially if they only buy the condo and they don’t actually live in Chicago (meaning they aren’t actual residents and they are committing fraud). But removing the ability for people to apply who don’t live in the city at the time of application is not the way to address the problem.

• #10276 Reply
        CPSDad

Agreed – if they are committing fraud of course they should be banned from all CPS schools.  I don’t know how strict CPS enforces the residency requirement – I’ve heard of friends who live in Hinsdale Central district and apparently they come and knock on your door at midnight to confirm you’re actually living there.

• #10277 Reply
          ES

Who would open their door at midnight? I think you are confusing them with ICE 🙂

I’ve heard about investigators following your car from school to home

• #10317 Reply
      CPSDad

I know it sounds crazy — it did to me as well, but happened to someone I know.  Also, I found out that if you don’t live in Chicago when you apply – you have to get admitted through rank.  You cannot get admitted through any of the tiers.

Viewing 7 reply threads
Reply To: Reply #10269 in Why does CPS allow suburban students to test into SEHS?
Your information:

Cancel