Any SW classical able to get siblings into neighborhood?

Home Forums Chicago Public Schools (CPS) CPS Elementary Schools Selective Enrollment Elementary Schools (SEES) Any SW classical able to get siblings into neighborhood?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      skk

We have a child in SW classical and have been trying to get siblings into the neighborhood program.  We tried last year with her older sibling, no offer – but we are wondering if there are just no spots available becuase of Covid last year….we also have a Kinder sibling coming up soon and wondering if he has a chance.  Frustrating thing about selective enrollment is if you have multiple kids, it’s a logistical nightmare….

• #12010 Reply
      mom

If you look at the CPS admissions page for Skinner West, you can see that there were zero seats offered last year for magnet cluster program.  https://schoolinfo.cps.edu/schoolprofile/schooldetails.aspx?SchoolId=610177

In the past, the principal would do her best to let in siblings of classical students to the neighborhood program, even to the detriment of an overcrowded classroom with 38+ kids in the classes.  However with the neighborhood exploding with families, almost every neighborhood class is to capacity. Since the last teacher’s strike, there have been new caps on the max number of students in a class.  Also with the unknown of how social distancing will be implemented next year, I’m guessing there will be zero offers for the magnet cluster component.

• #12011 Reply
      WL Mom

I agree with mom above. From what I have learned, there has been a concerted effort this year to reduce overcrowding in neighborhood classrooms. I would say barely any classrooms in younger grades have room. Upper grades may have a few available seats.

• #12151 Reply
      skk

Thanks.  totally understandable.  And new condos showing up every year!  The crowding is really out of hand.  They filled classical seats in 2020 and those classes are 31-34 kids for 1st grade and up.

Viewing 3 reply threads
Reply To: Any SW classical able to get siblings into neighborhood?
Your information: