High School courses at Northside prep, Jones, Young and Hancock

Home Forums CPS High Schools High School courses at Northside prep, Jones, Young and Hancock

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      8thgrader_Mom

Hi,

My son is an 8th grader but he does advanced courses(10th grade equivalent) in Math, Science and ELA, due to his gifted placement. Based on his scores, we are hoping he gets into one of these schools – Northside prep, Jones, Young or Hancock.

My question is, if selected would these schools be willing to place him in the advanced courses (like.. he should be doing Algebra 2 with Trig in 9th grade) . We totally missed going to open houses at these schools, Please do share any info that you know. TIA.

• #13310 Reply
      Thirdtimer

I think theoretically any of those schools can place a freshman in Algebra 2 — it happens every year with students coming from Academic Centers who have completed full high school courses in both Algebra 1 and Geometry. And selective enrollment high schools are plenty used to challenging students from gifted programs.

However, I’m not sure which (if any) CPS Regional Gifted Centers or Classical Schools cover a full year of high school Geometry? The CPS Algebra exit exam allows students to easily skip Algebra 1 with a pass or high pass score. I’m not aware of any such “exit exam” for 8th grade Geometry, and honestly have not heard of any CPS 8th grade program (other than an Academic Center) offering the equivalent of a full year of high school Geometry. I think some high schools (Whitney?) have a math placement exam for incoming freshman that could impact placement I suppose. Hopefully others can weigh in with more details on specific schools…. I believe that at least two of the schools on your list (Northside and Jones) use “Integrated Math” rather than the traditional Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2 sequence.

Best of luck!

• #13313 Reply
      8thgrader_Mom

thanks for sharing the details, very helpful. My son is currently doing Geometry Honors now, I believe doing these courses ahead will provide a pathway for AP courses in future grades and earn credit for college – and he is at a different district now but will be in CPS next year. Procedures and curriculum at CPS are too confusing.

I looked at Northside prep’s Integrated Math website here, but there is not much info about the placement or pre-requisites to get into future AP courses. I emailed Whitney young Magnet, hoping for a response from them.

Please do share any info. TIA

• #13314 Reply
      Ty

Once accepted to CPS selective enrollment high school, he will have option to take the placement exams and will probably qualify for Advanced Algebra w Trigonometry that’s the class after HS Honors Geometry

• #13333 Reply
      Chicagomom

Don’t worry about math, your son will have the chance to take a math placement exam in the summer and will likely be placed in the next course in the sequence, typically H Adv. Alg II. I believe all those schools have a math track that goes through AP Calc BC but you can check their course catalogs to be sure. The SEHS are very good at working with students to make sure they are placed in the correct math class. Science and ELA is a little more hit-or-miss, in that they tend not to accept class credits from outside the district, in my experience. Even within SEHS the science and English tracks don’t always line up and I have had one child who transferred schools take somewhat repetitive classes. But overall, at any SEHS you choose, your son would have the opportunity to take AP classes in a number of different subjects, and I think the counselors are good about working with your student during class registration and even in the first week of class if needed to make sure they are in the right place and will be appropriately challenged.

• #13336 Reply
      s

Northside math curriculum can be found here https://northsideprep.org/pdf/Program_of_Studies_2022-2023_3.pdf

• #13337 Reply
        s

They offer up to 5 college semester equivalents of math

Viewing 5 reply threads
Reply To: High School courses at Northside prep, Jones, Young and Hancock
Your information: