IEP students selective enrollment high schools (SEHS) 23/24 results

Home Forums CPS High Schools Selective Enrollment High Schools (SEHS) IEP students selective enrollment high schools (SEHS) 23/24 results

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author
      Alex

My child has an IEP and applied to SEHS for the 23/24 school year with a score that would have previously gotten them into any SEHS with and IEP.  Lane was her top choice and she didn’t get any offers.  Does anything know if they way kids with IEPs got evaluated changed drastically since previous years?  I’m concerned her IEP wasn’t even factored in the change was so drastic.

• #15676 Reply
      mamapajama

I am in the same boat with my child. Are you a current CPS parent?

• #15677 Reply
      Alex

No.  We are coming from a private school. Are you hearing of other kids in the same position? It almost feels like they made a mistake and didn’t count the IEPs.

• #17573 Reply
        JaneMama

Update?

• #15679 Reply
      T

Same thing happened to us.  Score would have gotten into Lane comfortably last year for Tier 4 and no IEP boost.

• #15680 Reply
      Alex

I have tried to reach out to CPS to get some answers on what could have changed but obviously having no luck.  Does anyone have any contacts? Is it possible some sort of mistake was made? As far as I know nothing has changed from a CPS policy standpoint that would account for such a drastic shift.

• #15682 Reply
      dad77

Cut off score rose significantly across the board at all Selective Enrollment high schools.  For instance last year the Tier 4 cut off was 871.  This year it was 884.  A full 13 points higher.  I’m guessing the same happened in the pool your child was competing against.

• #15685 Reply
        Steph

When I spoke to CPS, they could not explain how they handled IEP students. Zero transparency

• #15684 Reply
      Steph

We are in the same boat. This years cut offs were crazy, but we have also heard of a number of discrepancies where students in Tier 4 with lower scores got into an SE school over someone with a higher score (e.g. student with an 859 got in to Whitney Young and a kid with an 875 did not or a kid with an 880 got in to Payton and a kid with an 898 did not! ) Does anyone have examples of students in Tier 4 students with IEPs who got in to SE schools? Actual scores would be helpful.

• #15686 Reply
        dad77

Wondering if what you are hearing is because tiers changed and either the parent reporting didn’t know that their tier changed or some type of mess up on the CPS end with tiers. Ask the parents reporting those discrepancies to log into their portal and look what their current tier is showing.

• #15718 Reply
        mamapajama

Are the examples CPS students, private school students or both? Did the students referenced above have IEPs? For example, if the tier 4, IEP status student with an 859 got into WY and was from CPS but the tier 4 IEP status student with 875 did not get an offer and was from private school there would be some directional data to show there could be an issue accounting for the private school students IEP status.

• #15687 Reply
      Alex

I have no data on kids with IEPs who didn’t meet the standard cut off and got into a SE enrollment this year. A few kids from our school are having the same issue.  We are coming from a private school so I was wondering if there was an issue with our IEP status in the system.

• #15688 Reply
        Steph

It is not a tiering issue. All of the examples I quoted previously were students living in Tier 4. However, the suggestion that it is a private school issue is possible. All of the Tier 4 students with IEPs from the private schools seem to be the ones most affected.

• #15689 Reply
      Alex

Has anyone had any luck reaching out to CPS on the issue?

I still have not heard of a family with an IEP student in tier 4 who had a child that didn’t meet the general pools cut off and got in to a SE school this year. Again, we are coming from a private school.  A cut off point increase doesn’t explain this MASSIVE shift.

• #15690 Reply
      Rachel

Hi.

School counselor here. We are discovering a lot of irregularities with IEP kids (frankly, the whole process this year) and are amassing a spreadsheet to discern if there are any patterns to the offers. We also are perplexed how they are reaching the 14% special education student threshold at schools like Payton and Lane where they are turning away students with 898’s and 899’s that have IEPs.

We are looking for the following information: tier; score ?/900; rankings; and whether the child received an offer or no offer. We don’t want names or middle schools or any identifying information.  So, please encourage parents to share their data with us here or I’ll share my email if requested.

• #15719 Reply
        mamapajama

Is the data leading anywhere?  Are you going to be able to share with the broader group?  Thanks for trying to aggregate something to make sense of all of this.

• #17562 Reply
        JaneMama

Did you get clarification about this from CPS?

• #15694 Reply
      Julie

Thank you for collecting info on this. Please keep us posted on what you unearth. Below is our information:

Tier 4, score 829

No offer at any SE school.  Rankings were: Lane 1, WY 2, Payton 3

590 on the Lane waitlist, 396 WY waitlist, 366 Payton waitlist.  The waitlist numbers also lead me to believe these IEP students are in a general pool.

• #15697 Reply
        KMF

I think you are on a different wait list than my son. He ranked Lane #1 and he is #108 on the wait list. No IEP. His score was 809.

• #15698 Reply
          Julie

What tier are you in?

• #15699 Reply
          MomOf2

Waitlist also depends on Tier correct?  You must not be in Tier 4.

• #15700 Reply
            KMF

Forgot about tiers! Oops. Tier 3.

• #15695 Reply
      AR

Same here. 900 pts. IEP. Ranked Payton 1. Whitney 2. Offered Whitney. Coming from a private school.

• #15696 Reply
      Tb

Tier 4- 880, private school

no offers

Rankings: Jones 1, Lane 2, Whitney 3

Happy with my choice option so it will all end up ok, but was surprised. Assumed they filled their IEP target by kids within the cut-off scores?

• #15738 Reply
        Rachel

Hopefully you guys got a call this afternoon from OAE with offer…. let me know if not.

• #15702 Reply
      AR

I had luck getting a reply from Sara McPhee, exec director CPS OAE. samcphee1@cps.edu

While I don’t have any specific response/explanation to share at this time I did get a reply from Sara that they got my email and will look into the issue. I included my child’s student details and CPS ID in the email to make it easier for them to investigate.  I hope this works better/faster than emailing the general email or calling and waiting on hold for hours to speak with someone who ultimately can’t help. Stay tuned.

• #15703 Reply
        Sa

900 means your child’s sub scores are all 99s too? Thanks.

• #15704 Reply
      RK

Score 863. Tier 4, no offers. Ranked Lane first.  500 something on the waitlist.

• #15705 Reply
        Rachel

RK: Did you rank anything after Lane Tech??

• #15707 Reply
          RK

Rank was: lane first, WY, Payton

Is anyone hearing of kids coming from CPS having similar issues and/or of kids who didn’t meet the cut off scores getting in with their IEO “boost”?

• #15720 Reply
      Julie

Rachel – could you share some of the data you’re getting so we can pass it along to our HS counselor?

• #15722 Reply
      Ruth

I was unaware of the existence of an IEP boost (one of my kids has one, the other doesn’t). Is it based on a requirement that every school admit a minimum percentage of diverse learners? As the parent of an IEP kid, I’m surprised I never heard of this and am wondering if it’s real or just myth.

• #15723 Reply
      Steph

They are obligated to take 14% of IEP students in each grade. That is the statistic that they publicly disclose.

• #15749 Reply
        IEP mom

SEHS are NOT “obligated” to match the IEP percentage to that of CPS in general, which is 12-13%.
        When I visited SEHS open houses, I asked the principals or assistant principals. All of them said that they are working towards to increase the IEP student, “eventually” to 12% over the next several years. One assistant principal confirmed that that 12% goal is the long term goal and will not happen dramatically this year.

Also, the following is what I heard from CPS about SEHS selection process for IEP students: IEP student are put into their own separate pool and will not compete against general education students. Among that separate pool, they go through exactly the same selection process of applying their tiers, except that there is NO rank category for IEP students.

For example, currently Northside has about or less than 7% IEP students. They typically give offer to IEP students about the same number of IEP students graduating that year. For example, if 20 IEP students are graduating this year, they will set aside 20 seats in total for incoming IEP students. 25% of that 20 seats will be allocated to each tier. So, each tier has 5 seats reserved for IEP students.

In short, if you are in Tier 4 and has IEP, you are competing for one of those 5 seats against other IEP students from Tier 4.

What’s important to remember is that IEP student will not have a chance to be considered in “rank” or will not compete in his own tier against general students.

So, hypothetically, in the worst case scenario, if there were five IEP students in your tier who scored 99/99(900), and your child missed a point and got 99/98 (898), your child will not get an offer from that school even if your child’s score is higher than the cut off score of general students of your own tier. This is what I heard from CPS.

• #15764 Reply
          Ruth

This doesn’t make sense to me, unless you are talking about a subcategory of IEP students who would not meet standard criteria otherwise? If all IEP students were relegated to a separate pool where the available seats were in fact even more limited, then they would potentially be at a significant disadvantage, suppressing their numbers instead of growing them. A lot of kids with IEPs surely meet standard criteria and are admitted based solely on their scores/tiers.

• #15787 Reply
            IEP mom

Yes, it is indeed disadvantaging IEP students. But I assure you that this is how they did. I spoke to CPS more than twice and their answers were the same.

However, it does NOT limit the number of IEP students since the number of seats for IEP students for each tier are already set aside. It is just more competitive since each tier of IEP seats are very very limited.

I know a student with IEP who got 900 (99/99, tier 3) and still did not get an offer from their first choice.

• #17563 Reply
          JaneMama

Is this accurate?

• #15725 Reply
      Ruth

You mean that they are obligated to populate 14% of each grade’s seats with IEP students, correct?

• #15732 Reply
        Rachel

Yes. That is correct. It is a board policy.

• #15733 Reply
          LSmom

Do you know if it’s the first year they’ve had the 14 percent setaside? I was under the impression that they’ve always had an IEP setaside but that this year it was much larger, which makes it even more surprising that the cutoffs for students with IEPs seems to have been so high.

• #15750 Reply
            IEP mom

That goal to match IEP student percentage to that of CPS in general(13%), is a LONG TERM goal. SEHSs are not obligated; and it is not per each grade.

• #15785 Reply
        Dmom

No, that is not the case.  Payton, WY, Jones, Northside and Lane all have single-digit IEP percentages.  Also, they each have cluster programs which service students w/ severe/profound needs.  These students are placed in the programs via ODLSS, they do not go through the selective enrollment process but DO count in IEP percentages.

https://www.illinoisreportcard.com/School.aspx?source=studentcharacteristics&source2=iep&Schoolid=150162990250796

• #15788 Reply
          IEP mom

You are correct. Most selective enrollment high schools have one digit number (around 5-7%) IEP students. One of those school admin shared  that their goal this year(2023-24) is to increase that number to 7%.

• #15734 Reply
      Curious

This is relatively new (during Lightfoot’s admin.) . . . But it existed last year.  When it came into effect, it said that selective enrollment would offer IEP seats equal to total IEP  % of population in CPS – but it did not say how it would be done.   I didn’t see anything official that said each school needed to individually comply, just that SEHS in general would.  Also, folks have surmised that it would be handled like a 5th tier, but never saw anything official that suggested that.  (Frankly, I wouldn’t think CPS would do that as it would just increase Tier 4 admittances disproportionally.)  To be honest, there are a lot of kids with IEPs who are amazing test takers.  I guess its a phenomenon (twice-exceptional) that gifted kids are likely to also diverse learners.    Now that there is only one test and IEP kids get unlimited time for it, it would not surprise me at all if there are a lot of kids with IEPs who score.  This may be unpopular, but for the Tier 4 IEP kid who gets a seat on his own at a SEHS, I don’t know why there should be any “IEP bump” that changes where that kid gets an offer.

• #15746 Reply
        Ruth

That makes sense. When my daughter with an IEP tested into an Academic Center five years ago, I did a lot of research and was not aware of any cut-score advantage related her status as a diverse learner. As you said, these kids already get additional testing time, and many are in gifted programs and/or test well anyway. There is also no mention of any IEP effect on SEHS admissions anywhere on the GoCPS website. So, if there is an advantage, it isn’t transparent. My guess is that there is no shortage of kids with IEPs who meet standard admission criteria.

• #15786 Reply
        Dmom

Students w/ IEPs absolutely do NOT get unlimited time on the SEHS exam, testing accommodations are based on what their IEP says which is based on the testing accommodations the student needs throughout the year in classroom.  My kiddo has 25% extended time, so they’ll get 50 minutes on the Reading test instead of 40.

• #15751 Reply
      IEP mom

What is your child’s score and tier?

• #15752 Reply
      Sa

Does anyone know if CPS elementary students has choosing the valedictorian during 8th grade graduation ceremony? One of my friends’ child in a New York school has this, and she says almost all elementary schools in New York has this, so wondering if CPS too has this. Thank you.

• #15761 Reply
        Mom

My kids two cps elementary schools did not have valedictorian. Not sure about other cps schools. The one form of academic recognition at one of our schools was that the 8th grades in the National Junior honor society wore NJHS Stoles over their graduation gowns. Not all schools sponsor NJHS. One of our cps SE high schools does not rank seniors and only invites juniors and seniors to NHS. I think it’s a matter of getting a teacher to sponsor and run the program.

• #15762 Reply
          Sa

Thank you for the information.

• #15760 Reply
      NerdMom

The other thing to remember is that schools may fill some of their IEP “slots” with non-selective enrollment kids. I know both Lane and Northside have small programs for children with significant disabilities who require a substantially modified curriculum — these kids are not in any of the honors classes. I believe there may also be a similar classroom at Jones.

• #15797 Reply
      Doras

Are all IEP treated the same? I know a student with IEP tier 4  with a low  score that got Lane, their first choice.
      Score was in 700’s

Viewing 23 reply threads
Reply To: IEP students selective enrollment high schools (SEHS) 23/24 results
Your information: