Making sense of RGC scores over years

Home Forums Chicago Public Schools (CPS) CPS Elementary Schools Making sense of RGC scores over years

• This topic has 1 reply, 1 voice, and was last updated 4 weeks ago by RC.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      confused_Dad
      Participant

Hi

Apologies if this has been answered, but I am very confused when I see scores and cut-offs being posted.

My daughter’s is just finishing Kindergarten in Jun 2024, and moving to 1st grade. We in Tier 4. These were here scores over the last two years

2023-24 (i.e. testing to entry for Kindergarten)
      Classical Reading Percentile:
      Classical Reading Standard Score: 85
      Classical Math Percentile:
      Classical Math Standard Score: 65
      Regional Gifted Center Composite Score: 105
      RGC- Non-Verbal Score:
      RGC- Verbal Score:
      EL Regional Gifted Score:

2024-25 (i.e. testing to entry for 1st grade – this year)
      Classical Reading Percentile: 46
      Classical Reading Standard Score: 125
      Classical Math Percentile: 52
      Classical Math Standard Score: 126
      Regional Gifted Center Composite Score: 119
      RGC- Non-Verbal Score: 117
      RGC- Verbal Score: 120
      EL Regional Gifted Score:

My questions are as follows:
      1) When here composite score has increased from 105 to 119, does that mean she has “improved” year-on-year?

2) When I look at cut-offs (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iIejOk1Xx782ZydK6dJsBWG_eTqakBoA/view), I see scores of Ranks of 255 (Bell), 200 (Carnegie) etc.

Is this comparable to her 119? Or do I add the RGC Verbal and Non-verbal scores of to get 237?

Thanks in advance

• #17447 Reply
      RC

For 23-24, Classical scores were only given as percentiles; standard scores weren’t provided. So comparatively, last year your daughter scored 39 percentile points higher in Reading and 13 percentile points higher in Math. Percentile rank indicates where a student’s score stands relative to other students of the same age/grade who took the same test. Based on the results you shared, they seem to indicate that your daughter’s math/reading performance is now closer to average for her age/grade level, whereas last year it was slightly to moderately above average. I wouldn’t look at SEES tests as a definitive measure of performance, though- if you have iReady scores or some other data from progress monitoring in the classroom, that might be a better place to get information.

The RGC composite score this year is higher than last year’s but without knowing what test your daughter was given this year vs. last year, it’s hard to say if it actually represents “improvement” — if the test was different, or the conditions under which the tests were administered were different enough, it could just reflect that individuals’ scores on this kind of testing can fluctuate sometimes.

You need to look at the rubric to convert your daughter’s composite score to points: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1E2CgLEnap37Yl-JsTn5hYOM1XdIdJuYh/view. A score of 119 = 197.5 points. Cut scores and tier are are only in entry years, so all the Gifted and Classical cut scores are for kindergarten applicants, except for Beaubien and Keller. The tier 4 cut for both Beaubien and Keller was 227.5 points, which = a composite score of 131.

Viewing 1 reply thread
Reply To: Making sense of RGC scores over years
Your information: