CPS automatically allows entry to Kindergarten for students who are 5 by September 1st, but families with students who turn 5 by Dec. 31 can request an Early Entry to Kindergarten this Fall. The evaluation process would allow a fall birthday student to start at their neighborhood school (or any Choice or selective enrollment program with available space) if the student is deemed academically and socially ready by CPS. Required to implement ISBE’s Accelerated Placement Act, CPS has outlined a new 6 step policy for evaluation. The application is open from July 1-19 and FAQs can be found here. The six steps are:
- Visit a CPS Application Site by July 19.
- Complete the application & developmental survey.
- If student scores above 91% in kindergarten readiness, the academic test will be scheduled.
- Academic & cognitive testing to be done at one of 4 centers.
- If student scores above 91% in academic testing, then potential sites are offered.
- Enrollment at school and Memorandum of Understanding w/parent outlines communication schedule.