2022 Academic Center (AC) Results for incoming 7th

Home Forums Chicago Public Schools (CPS) CPS Elementary Schools Selective Enrollment Elementary Schools (SEES) 2022 Academic Center (AC) Results for incoming 7th

Viewing 35 reply threads
  • Author
      Curious Parent

Opening a thread for 2022 Academic Center (AC) results for 7th grade early acceptance to high school, the process is a bit gray because it’s classified as Elementary level but actually grants acceptance into that high school.

Since NWEA scores aren’t a factor it will be interesting.  Wondering if we will see a lot of ‘perfect’ scores like with high schools.

Here are the schools that have 7th grade AC entry.

Brooks College Prep
      Kenwood High School
      Lane Tech High School
      Lindblom Math and Science Academy
      Morgan Park High School
      Taft High School
      Whitney Young Magnet High School

Post your score, Tier, and acceptance if you wish.

• #13788 Reply
      Elizabeth Mokaya

Thank you for creating this thread.  I’m eager to see the Cutoff Scores this year, especially since it will be out of 600 points.  If anyone finds the listing before I do, please share!

• #13795 Reply
      Ash

Good luck everyone! I can’t wait to see what happens with the results as well!

• #13800 Reply
      UniBrow

Tier 4, AC score of 576, offered a seat a Lane

• #15276 Reply
        VoodooUS
        Participant

Did your son by any chance did not answer one question or left question not answered?

• #13807 Reply
      mom

Tier 4, AC score 570, not offered LTAC

• #13809 Reply
      mjb

Tier 4, 600, offered WY

• #13810 Reply
      Z mom

Tier 4, AC score 582, offered WY

• #15277 Reply
        VoodooUS
        Participant

How many questions your kid think he answered wrong at the test?

• #13811 Reply
      UniBrow

Also heard from another student that was Tier 3, AC score 585, offered WY

• #13812 Reply
      Gita

Results are out. My  kid got Lane Tech offer tier 4 , score 576.

• #13814 Reply
      CPSMom2

Tier 4: 579 offered 2nd choice Lane

• #13819 Reply
      6th Grade MOM
      • #14659 Reply
        Qi He

Thanks for sharing the AC cutoff score for 2022-2023.

I am preparing for the AC exam and enrollment info session for a parent group. I would like to use the 2022-2023 AC exam info to present. However, on the CPS website, that info was not available now. Wondering if you also save other AC exam info on your computers, such as the exam score conversion table, and 5th-grade final grade conversion. If you save the resource, please let me know if you are willing to share it. Thanks

• #13823 Reply
      internetperson
      Participant

Tier 4 AC score 597, offered WY

• #13826 Reply
      ks

T3, 576 offered WY first choice

• #15278 Reply
        VoodooUS
        Participant

How many questions your kid answered that he think he answered wrong? I am trying to check if my son did good in his test. Ty

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by VoodooUS.
    • #13839 Reply
      Alex

My daughters grades were never counted in her scores. I’m so upset because no one ever emailed or messaged me. My daughter is in tears.

• #13842 Reply
        CPSMom2

Call the OAE on Monday – I’d think that they correct this.

• #13844 Reply
      Alex

I called they stated I had to do the appeals process smh. She attends a non CPS school and I was told they would request the grades from the school which never happened and I received no notice that they still needed them. Crazy cause she scored high on the exam alone so those are the only points she has in her score which aren’t enough to get into anywhere. Praying for the appeals process.

• #13856 Reply
      mother 46

t3, 498, didn’t get offered brooks (was first choice)

• #13865 Reply
      JR

T2 537 not offered WY (1st choice) offered Kenwood-declined

• #14058 Reply
        jazzman

why did you decline Kenwood ? great location and very good school alot of children usually stay at KW for high school the more advanced students go to U of C for college credits as well.

• #13946 Reply
      Clueless mom

We are new to CPS, so this was certainly a learning experience. My son and I moved to Chicago during the pandemic, and most of his 5th grade year was done remotely. He struggled a lot trying to acclimate to the workload, and his grades were certainly not good enough to get into an academic center, but he asked to apply so we went through with the process.
      As far as the test score, he also didn’t do good enough to get into his top choices. We live in a tier 4 neighborhood, so I feel like he is working at such a disadvantage than other kids in the city. I have made huge financial sacrifices so I could send him to a good neighborhood school, but now I don’t know if this is hurting the both of us in the long run. I will never be able to afford private school, since the bulk of my salary goes towards our housing.
      I am ok with him not getting into an academic center, but now I am more fearful about his grades for next year. He isn’t a straight A student..he has some learning differences and is a smart kid, but definitely falls closer to being a B student.
      Is there any advice that some seasoned CPS parents can offer? I don’t want to put the type of pressure on him that will send him into an anxiety spiral, but I want to better manage our expectations moving forward.

• #13950 Reply
        CPSMomto3

@CluelessMom: you asked so I am going to be brutally honest. One B in 7th grade will keep a Tier 4 kid out of any of the Top 5 SEHS. I would start looking at Choice Schools with a kid you describe. There are amazing options at Lincoln Park HS and Amundson IB programs. Or if you have your heart set on a SEHS, you will need to monitor every assignment and every test grade on a weekly basis for all of 7th grade to ensure he gets straight As.

Just being honest. I have one at Whitney Young, one going to Payton next year, and one in 7th next year. It’s a grind. But my odor two are thrilled with the results.

• #13953 Reply
        cps_life
        Participant

It is a dilemma really. You moved to a good neighborhood school but ending up in Tier 4, which will have tough competition when it comes to selective high school.

Academic center is a good option but not a must option. My son is in academic center and moving on to another high school in the fall. What I can tell you after going through this experience is that academic center is a like safety net that helps reduce the anxiety for getting into a SEHS. That is pretty much it. I don’t see much more benefit going to an academic center.

In fact, if you go to an academic center, it is all you on your own when it comes time for the high school entrance exam. I know kids in good elementary schools had taken 3 simulation tests in their school to prepare for the high school exam. In comparison, academic centers will completely ignore the fact that there will be a big test coming up. Not only there won’t be any preparation for the test but also there will be a ton of homework that is due every week leading to the test.

So my advise to you is that if you like the school your son is currently in, then work hard to become a straight A student and get the best score he can in the high school test. That is it. Only 7th grades matter when it comes to high school. There is no such a thing as A students or B students. You can push your son to get all As. Just keep pushing and never give up. It is quite achievable.

Alternatively,  you can move to a lower tiered area, which will greatly enhance your son’s chance to enter a good SEHS. IMHO, elementary schools matter very little when it comes to the ability to enter a good SEHS. It is mostly individual effort. Schools are quite similar in the why they teach students. Good SEEH may cover other things like arts and languages but I don’t think it matters when it comes to English and Math.

• #14056 Reply
          jazzman

The benefit of AC is that you can start earning high school credits and that leaves more room for AP classes in High School for college credit.  Possible earlier graduation from college aka same some money.

• #14059 Reply
            cps_life
            Participant

This probably only works if doesn’t go to another high school after AC. High school has 4  years. The chances the student can really benefit from taking 2/3 extra courses ahead of time are really slim. Taking general education AP courses can really save some money if these courses are accepted in the university the student attends. This I agree. The tuition rate in even public school is high while the tuition in private school is just insane.

Taking AP courses are not good for the students’ growth academically. I think most people do it because (1) other people do it so if you don’t, your children cannot get admitted to good university (2) to save a lot of money. I know students struggle tremendously in the their freshman year in university because they were taking upperclassman’s classes.

For example, I don’t think it is great idea to learn calculus in high school when the students haven’t mastered algebra and geometry. Calculus is such a fundamental math skill that students need time to really understand it and can count on it for their other classes. If we force students to learn difficult subjects before they are ready for them for economic reasons, it is really bad for their self-confidence and learning trajectory when they inevitably do poorly in their college classes, which can be unforgiving and relentlessly difficult.

• #14077 Reply
              jazzman

I think its great for them to take calculus in high school ( AC my son is taking algebra 2 / tri in the 8th grade) calculus AP AB and BC.  Providing they get a strong algebra foundation.  I would suggest If they are going to skip intro calculus but not calculus 2!! The other option is dual credit vs AP but the draw back is that they might not get credit but they will have the knowledge if they have to retake it in college and get a better grade.  I do think the AP classes go into more detail than just the honor classes.  And also the AP classes usually have fewer students than honors or general ed classes.

• #14208 Reply
              skk

I think HS credits earned in CPS may transfer to other CPS – and there is an Algebra Placement Exam for 9th grade to place out of it.  In the suburbs, the opportunity to take Algebra in Jr High is a given in most places, and has been for many years.  Not for all kids, but those who can and want to.  What is not right is that you have to get into one of these ACs to do it in the city.  Very few Magnet and other elementary schools in CPS [except ACs] offer the ability to even take Algebra let alone place out of Algebra 1 as a freshmen….  Maybe it is not a ‘must’ but for STEM professions those opportunities do matter later on.  Plus some kids are just ready for it – I have a kid was totally bored before being allowed to be accelerated in math.

• #13969 Reply
      Curious Parent

Tier 3 score 576, offered Whitney Young (1st choice)

• #13977 Reply
      Happy mom

@cps_life Participant: totally agree with your second paragraph, my son is in AC this year, core subjects+2 electives (No study hall, we don’t have any idea about the workload when we choose :(….tons of homework+test.  If you got a kid that is interested in everything (e.g. sports, instrument, math team, chess, debate…), it will be very painful to manage the time between the homework and the extra-curricular activities.

• #14055 Reply
        SHSmom

Thank you for this!  There were a lot of tears at my house this weekend because my daughter did not get into an AC.  Came as a complete shock to me and my daughter.  One of my biggest concerns would have been the workload at an AC, she travels a lot for her sport, participates heavily in school extras (sports, student council, clubs), and tutoring and volunteering to prepare for her bat mitzvah. I was very worried she would drown at an AC trying to keep up with everything, and my gut send right.  Wishing you family the very best!

• #14050 Reply
      Twins mom

My twins both were offered Whitney Young. My daughter got 600. But how do I know which tiers they are? Thanks!

• #14051 Reply
      mom

Tier 4, 579, offered LTAC. (2nd choice), was hoping WYAC as first kid is currently at WYAC. Based on the cutoff scores,  T4 min point is 579 for WYAC, I am not sure how to break the tie in AC test.

• #14076 Reply
        CPSMom2

We are Tier 4 and my son got as many points 579 …and too offered 2nd choice Lane. Not sure either how the ties worked here.. you’re right some kids with 579 got into WY…wish cps could provide more details 🙁

• #14205 Reply
        skk

I feel for you having 2 kids accepted to different schools.  I really wish they would give siblings some consideration – I understand it has to be fair but how ridiculous of a situation for your family to deal with.

• #14204 Reply
      Alena
      Participant

Anyone can provide info regarding TAFT AC?

• #14207 Reply
        CPSMom2

My son is graduating 8th grade and moving on to another SEHS closer to where we live. We have no regrets. It has been a long drive for us to get to/from TAFT but we did it and I am glad we did. My son liked his AC, he was challenged more than his Elementary school was able to do for him, and got some HS credits to go into HS with. Teachers are great, good with AC kids. They did pretty well during remote learning, he had all his classes virtually daily.
        For our family, Taft AC was exactly what we were hoping for and what my son needed! Yes, we would do it all over again. Good luck.

• #14247 Reply
      cpsacmom

CPSmom2 – Do the high school credits earned at Taft academic center transfer over to a different selective enrollment high school? How many credits can be transferrred?

• #14248 Reply
        CPSMom2

All the high school honors level classes taken in 7-8 grades transfer and don’t have to be repeated.

• #14754 Reply
      Anna

Since this is a thread for Academic Centers, I want to ask parents who have kids in gifted/classical programs on grades importance – if a child is at RGC or Classical, will his grades be treated differently from grades received at regular CPS schools for purposes of high school/academic center review/applications?

If the grades are treated the same (i.e. A is the same A at regular CPS and RGC/Classical), then this is a big problem (unfair?), and maybe someone can prove me wrong? The issue I see is this: we are preparing children to get into Classical or RGC elementary and middle schools, they get in, then they have to keep up with 1-2+ years of studies compared to other kids in regular CPS schools, and it is much harder for them to get an A compared to a student in the same grade at a regular CPS school, and then the moment comes when they have to apply for high schools where grades for 7th grade matter… So the gifted / classical school kids have to work much harder to get all As than regular CPS students… and I wonder whether in the long run it would be better for a child to be a top student at a regular CPS school and then just hire a tutor and prepare him for Academic Center testing… If someone can share their thoughts on this, I would appreciate it.

• #14756 Reply
        ES

If your student has to work “extra hard” to “keep up with the grades” at an SEES compared to regular schools, it just tells me that you played some tier game to get your kid into an SEES to begin with and they are not an SEES material.

If you feel it is unfair for your child to be at an SEES, guess what, no one forces you to be there, there is a long line of kids who are waiting for you to leave so that there is a spot available for them at an SEES.

Your argument is so entitled and full of privilege. Not only are you already at an SEES, but you are whining that additional privileges should be given to you to continue into SEHS. How about after that? Extra points for being at an SEHS to get into the top college because you have to work harder to keep up with the grades at an SEHS?

Before it gets completely unfair at the SEHS level as the work to keep up with the grades there is even harder than at an SEES, run to the neighborhood school.

• #14757 Reply
          Anna

The comment is really rude and offensive to be honest. I have no kid in selective enrollment and my kid is thriving at a regular CPS school. I am just trying to understand the system. We have friends whose kids are at classical and RGCs, and while they are bright and very smart, they do have to work harder than other kids in regular CPS schools. This is at least what we have seen in practice based on a few kids we know.

• #14759 Reply
            ES

Yes, your privileged and spoiled whining rubbed the wrong way on a lot of parents with hard working kids, no matter whether they are at SEES or neighborhood school. You offended both.

• #14755 Reply
      cps-thoughts

Grades at all CPS (and non-CPS, for that matter) schools are all treated the same. Differentiation happens, so I’m sure that there are plenty of non-SEES students receiving accelerated instruction in small groups. Given that I know of at least a few SEES that regularly lose about a quarter to half of their incoming 7th grade class to Academic Centers each year, I’m going to go ahead and say that I don’t think SEES kids are at any disadvantage here.

• #14758 Reply
        Anna

Thank you. This is great!

• #15301 Reply
      Jen

Sorry for the basic questions in advance, but if my child were to test into and attend an academic center for 7th and 8th and planned to stay at that school for high school, would they need to test again (SEHS entrance exam) for high school to remain there?  Or is that only if they hope to attend another SEHS?  Also if they also want to apply to other non SEHS programs at high schools (Lincoln Park IB or HH, Von Steuben scholars, etc), how does that process work?  Is there a separate test and/or application process?  Thanks!

• #15303 Reply
        VoodooUS
        Participant

No your kid won’t need to test again. If he/she in from 7th grade they are all set.

• #15302 Reply
      CPS Mom

If your child attends an Academic, they do not need to take the test to remain at the school. They can opt out. However, they can take the test again and apply to other SEHS and other non-SEHS schools. I believe that it is the same test and application for all schools.

• #15304 Reply
      Jen

Thank you, @Zakyshan2002 and @CPS mom!  Appreciate the quick replies.

• #15472 Reply
      olivia

I was wondering if principal discretion is available for Lane? I have two sons in HS at Lane (one was there for AC and one only got in for HS) and a daughter who is applying for the AC. I had a friend who did principal discretion because her kids were in the same boat, and her 6th grader got in. Wondering if this still applies nowadays? Also, questioning about round 2, if that still applies and when we would find out if we got in for round 2.

• #15473 Reply
        Taylor

There is no principal discretion for academic centers.

• #15474 Reply
      ES

And I believe, no Round 2 for AC.

• #15475 Reply
      quantcps

Are the results released at the same time as HS results or with ES ones?

Thanks!

• #15476 Reply
      CPS Mom

There is a round 2 for AC. Also, AC results are released with ES offers.

• #15477 Reply
      ES

But has anyone really ever gotten in from round 2  to Lane or WY AC?

• #15478 Reply
      CPS Mom

I have heard of a handful of students getting an offer after Round 1 offers are declined. My child is at LTAC and a handful of their peers declined due to distance and those spots were offered.

• #15481 Reply
        cps-thoughts

ACs and high schools typically over-offer. If Young AC typically has, say, 10% of those offered not accept, and they have 100 seats to fill, then they’ll make 111 offers (anticipating that ~11 won’t accept). They won’t make any offers off of their waitlist if they get approximately the number of declines that they expect, since they’ll have filled all their seats anyway.

• #16327 Reply
      Lesss

My daughter was not offered a spot at Lane, if she does accept the offer she received at TAFT, is there still a chance she would get an offer from Lane? Assuming other kids don’t accept their offer.

It’s crazy on how the tiers have a big impact, as one of her classmates did get in into Lane after scoring 20+ less than my daughter.

• #16330 Reply
        cps_life
        Participant

if she does accept the offer she received at TAFT, is there still a chance she would get an offer from Lane?

My understanding is no. The fact that you listed TAFT as a choice, which was offered, removes your daughter from the waitlist of Lane. In any case, the demand for Lane and Whitney AC is higher than ever. The waitlist probably won’t move much at all. This is quite different from high school entrance where there is still a lot of movement after initial admission.

Yes, tier system has been extremely unfair. I have been saying this all along. There is no tiers in university classes or companies.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by cps_life.
Viewing 35 reply threads
Reply To: 2022 Academic Center (AC) Results for incoming 7th
Your information: