Correlation – Testing time & Outcome

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      lincolnparkmom

Hi all,

Can someone please share their experience on if and what is the correlation between time spent during testing and final outcome (score or school offered)? My son appeared for kindergarten this academic year. Some responses from the past years will be truly appreciated.

my son was 4 years and 5 months on the day of testing. he was with the examiner for 49 minutes (from the time he left to when i saw him coming out).

Regards,

Anxious mom

• #10324 Reply
      ES

This is very good considering him being on the younger side. Likely 99 on the classical part.

• #10325 Reply
      Outlier

Unless you have enough sample points, I don’t think it would draw you any conclusion.

My DD was there for less than 15 mins, but still admitted to one of these Skinners

• #10326 Reply
      lincolnparkmom

@outlier – that is what i am trying to do here… some concrete data…

• #10329 Reply
      2down2togo

When both my girls tested they were both gone about 20 mins. One was not offered a seat (got in for first though). My other was offered a RGC seat.

• #10331 Reply
      ChicagoBorn

@2down2togo  Interesting.  Were both girls tested the same year for K?  Glad the other got in for 1st, that is excellent!

• #10335 Reply
      ES

<p style=”text-align: right;”>When you talk about getting in or not, tiers play a big role. Someone with a score of 80 could have been admitted to “one of these Skinners” from tier 1. I think not knowing the OP’s tier, providing scores would be more helpful than just saying whether you got a seat or not.</p>
      <p style=”text-align: right;”></p>

• #10338 Reply
      lincolnparkmom

tier definitely plays a huge role, but time spent has to have some significance

• #10339 Reply
      ES

The point I was trying to make is it would be more helpful to respond “my child spent 30 minutes and got 98” than “my child spent 30 minutes and got into Skinner”. Got in with what score?

For a tier 4 parent, the second response is not helpful at all and gives false hope because 30minutes may correltate to a score of 80 and getting in from tier 1.

• #10340 Reply
      lincolnparkmom

Completely agree with what you say. But my perspective if with scenario where we do not have results on our hand. Trying to put my anxiety at rest and see if time spent is in anyway related to final outcome.

I wish there were more active participants on these forums to weigh in their experiences and opinions.

• #10341 Reply
      hopefulmom
      Participant

my kid was in for like 10 minutes and failed terribly last year.

• #10344 Reply
      ES

Yes, time does correlate with the results. The test starts with easier questions and if the childs keeps answering correctly they keep moving to harder questions. After they miss a certain number of questions they are let go. Now, another factor that comes into play is the child’s age. Two kids may get to the same stage in the test before being let go, but the younger will get a higher score as less is expected from let’ s say a 4.2 y.o. vs. 5.1 y.o.

So, you could have 4.2 y.o. who lasted 30 minutes with a score of 99.9 and a 5 y.o. who gets only 85 after 30 minutes.

There are just so many combinations of age and time testing variables plus individual traits, like some kids answer quickly, others may be more thoughtful, it’s hard to tell how well they did just based on time although if it is less than 20 minutes, it is probably not good.

• #10356 Reply
      lincolnparkmom

Thank you @hopefulmom and ES…

• #10358 Reply
      Chicago Born

I agree with ES. So much comes into play.  Age, tier, number of questions asked,  number of questions answered correctly…. and so much more.

Time spent is important but it’s not apples to apples. Some kids talk more with one answer or answer faster  or slowly. Some proctors may go slower or could be using time to warm the child up and get acquainted. Who knows?

Time spent could have a good correlation but it is difficult to calculate as from I have read on cpsobsessesed.com old post various times,  tiers, etc. And saw both 15min to over 45min with high and low scores on either RGC or Classical.  That’s what the parents post keep in mind.

@Lincolnparkmom I understand the anxiety.  Let your thought intake be filled with positive thoughts.

• #10368 Reply
      Outlier

1,00% Given all these factors (controllable and uncontrollable) in play, the whatever conclusion that you draw may just not be applicable to your child. Relax and get plan B..

• #10397 Reply
      lincolnparkmom

dont know why it takes so long for CPS to declare the results

Viewing 15 reply threads
Reply To: Correlation – Testing time & Outcome
Your information: