Whitney Young vs Payton

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      WY’student

I’m currently an AC student at Whitney Young.  I’ve been debating whether I should stay at WY or go to Payton next year. Can anybody share some thoughts on the differences between the two schools? I heard Payton gives out easier A’s than WY. Not sure if that is true or not…

• #15218 Reply
      cps_life
      Participant

I heard the same from other parents but it doesn’t appear to be the case after seeing how much my son struggles to maintain A grades. It may be just relative to perception. You really don’t want to make decisions based on perception.

• #15223 Reply
      Dmom

My kiddo was an ackie at WY and is now at Payton.  Rigor is comparable to WYAC, kiddo says they liked the kids at WY more but that teachers at Payton are better (I agree about the teachers part.)  Kiddo has friends and is thriving at Payton.  Pricipal is newish but has strong Assistant Principals.

• #15224 Reply
      WY\’student

Thank you @Dmom. This is very helpful!

• #17232 Reply
      Rosa

Any advice on Whitney Young vs. Payton for high school?

• #17233 Reply
        cps_life
        Participant

I don’t know about WY but Payton had some changes that I don’t like since the change of principal. For example, they changed the start time of classes to 8AM sharp. Given the nightmarish traffic in Chicago, it is terrible to students who live far away from school. Some teachers intentionally punish students who are 30 seconds late.
        I think the school is going downhill in the past couple of years and is sliding fast. This goes to show that principal matters a lot.

Viewing 4 reply threads
Reply To: Whitney Young vs Payton
Your information: