Classical/RGC

Home Forums General Discussion Classical/RGC

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      CANINCHI
      Participant

Hi,

We are hoping our daughter tests into. Classical/Gifted school but not sure how much prepping I should do.

Are 5 year olds really expected to read???  Any help is appreciated. I’m ready to go back to Canada 🤣

• #14669 Reply
      A

No, my child got into classical school not knowing how to read. I know 1 family where child started reading at 4 years old, when that child tested for gifted/classical he read fluently – he didn’t get any offers, he didn’t pass. So I think reading level is not relevant. Basics like letters numbers are expected of course

• #14672 Reply
      Foreign Mother

My daughter took the Classical Gifted Testing for kindergarten a few years back. She was required to read. Tier 4 here, scores: 99.9 Reading, Math 99. I would suggest prepping her at a comfortable pace.

• #14673 Reply
      Fatimaz
      Participant

Need guidance on preparing my kindergarten for 1st grade testing for classical/gifted schools. Any recommendations/tutoring/prep material would be much appreciated.

• #14674 Reply
      Anna

Yes, I would like to get the same guidance for my K student who would be tested for 1 grade entry. Any recommendations would be welcome!

• #14676 Reply
      LSQMom

I suppose it depends somewhat what tier you live in and which Classical school you’re aiming for. My now 1st grader could read probably at a 2nd grade level when she tested at age 4 years, 10 months, and she got in to top north side classical school (we are tier 3). Based on her comments, most if not all kids in her class could read coming into K. She started doing sight words at about 3.5 at daycare and I continued by introducing Bob books and I Can Read books around when she turned 4, which happened to be start of Covid, so it was really the only academic thing she had. I will say if you’re kid isn’t interested, there’s no way to push it. Offer it and see what happens. Mine was not at all interested and then a light bulb went off one day and she took off in reading development.

For RGC, this site and NPN have plenty of suggestions for at home test prep material. Because the RGC does not test for reading skills (abstract thought rather than objective skills), you could have a kid who doesn’t know how to read test into an RGC.

• #14679 Reply
      Anna

Thank you, very helpful. Do tiers still matter if this is 1 grade entry test? Also, what is NPN?

• #14711 Reply

Tiers are only applicable to the entry year of a program, and the vast majority of SEES RGC & Classical programs enter at Kindergarten, so CPS Tiers are relevant for that year. Two RGC programs start at 1st grade (Keller & Beaubien) so those will have CPS Tiers used for that grade only. Here is a GoCPS handout regarding Tiers: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1J7b3gicXusmPr952m0cZghXCwQhTJo-g/view

NPN stands for the Neighborhood Parent Network, which is a virtual parenting resource with some in person events, including the annual Preschool & Elementary School Fair, this year on 9/24/22 from 9am-1pm. (Free entry with promo code SchoolFree22).

There is also a twice yearly virtual seminar regarding SEES Admissions & Testing that this fall is on 10/1/22 at 10am-12:30pm. RSVP for that HERE.

Viewing 6 reply threads
Reply To: Classical/RGC
Your information: