- This topic has 1 reply, 1 voice, and was last updated 7 months ago by chicagoschooloptions.
04/26/2019 at 3:56 pm #9619chicagoschooloptionsKeymaster
From Mayer’s LSC:
“April 26, 2019
Oscar Mayer Community:
Thank you to all who attended the Community Forum with senior administrators from CPS to discuss the Chicago Board of Education Inspector General report on Mayer’s pre-K program and our diversity. CPS Chief Education Officer LaTanya McDade and Principal Drayton led a presentation and answered community questions regarding the future of Mayer’s programming.
The important points from last night to address the Inspector General’s report:
- Pre-K. Mayer will start a neighborhood tuition based pre-K program for the 2019-20 school year for 3 year olds. After seven months of meetings, feedback and discussions with the Mayer community, this option is preferred over the immediate elimination of Mayer’s 3 year old program. While a decision regarding 3 year olds for the 2020-21 school year remains unsettled, when Mayer introduces universal pre-K for 4 year olds starting in 2021-22 there will no longer be a 3 year old program.
- Diversity. In order to maintain magnet funding for Mayer’s Montessori program, Mayer must increase diversity through the admission of students from CPS Tiers 1, 2, and 3. Neighborhood enrollment trends and Mayer’s capacity limit raise questions as to the sustainability of Mayer’s current programming. This issue requires further analysis which will begin soon.
- Pre-K. Chief McDade committed to getting an answer regarding access for out of neighborhood siblings. CPS also promised an informational meeting at Mayer for all families interested in enrolling in the tuition based pre-K program. As soon as Principal Drayton receives any update on sibling access or enrollment procedures, she will pass it along to the community.
- Diversity. Another working group will be formed to examine the sustainability of Mayer’s current programming. The Mayer community will receive notice of a call for volunteers to participate in this new group. Details of participation will be released sometime in May.
We want to extend a special thank you to the 36 members of Mayer’s retiring working group who have worked tirelessly over the past several months. Looking back, while the outcome of the group’s work seems simple, the work involved to get to this point was complex. Your dedication to the process is most appreciated. Thank you all!
Danielle Drayton Mark Sassower
Mayer LSC Chairman”
02/15/2020 at 8:48 am #10352chicagoschooloptionsKeymaster
From 2/12/20, Oscar Mayer’s Principal Drayton:
Tuition Based Update
After an extensive community engagement process with the Oscar Mayer working group that included over 10 working group sessions, community forums, and meetings, the Chicago Board of Education accepted our recommendation to phase out PreK-3 and offer tuition-based Pre-K to only four-year-olds beginning this upcoming fall. Tuition-based Pre-K4 will continue to be offered until we introduce universal, free Pre-K in the coming years.